Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406722)

SomeOtherGuy 10-13-2019 07:40 PM

How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX?

I want to extract digital audio from an Apple TV 4th Gen with a HDMI + HDMI Audio extractor box. This extracts an Optical output from the HDMI signal. This then goes to a HOSA Optical to AES/EBU converter box. And from here it goes to the Avid MTRX AES-in.

This doesn't work because the extractor doesn't have a Optical IN for clocking. The result is the audio plays but drops out every few seconds.

No HDMI audio extractor I've found have an Optical IN, only OUTPUT.

Is there a better way to do this? I need all my MTRX analog inputs otherwise I just use them.

lucienpalmer 10-13-2019 07:52 PM

Re: How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX?

So you are trying to record the audio signal?

Usually the output from the Apple TV is a Dolby encoded output. Are you tying to record a simple stereo, 5.1, or Atmos?

SomeOtherGuy 10-13-2019 07:54 PM

Just want Apple TV playback, no recording. And just stereo...

Darryl Ramm 10-13-2019 08:28 PM

If clocking is the only issue change you Pro Tools/MTRX setup to clock from its AES/EBU input.

SomeOtherGuy 10-13-2019 08:34 PM

Thanks, I just tried that but get a SYNC Loss alert and the audio still drops out every 5 seconds or thereabouts...

Darryl Ramm 10-13-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2541181)
Thanks, I just tried that but get a SYNC Loss alert and the audio still drops out every 5 seconds or thereabouts...

Then you likely have other problems in the conversion chain than just clocking. Can you try swapping components/cables. Can you run TOSLINK into the AES/EBU converter say from a CD player or a Mac with optical out to test that works. Is it an old Apple TV with TOSLINK out that you can go directly into the TOSLINK Adapter?

SomeOtherGuy 10-13-2019 08:43 PM

It's a 4th Gen Apple TV so have to use an HDMI + HDMI Audio extractor box. This has a Optical out only. I did swap cables. I generally find that whatever I hook up using the AES inputs on the MTRX, I need both IN and OUT connected. For example, I have a HAKEN Continuum controller hooked up via AES, but I get dropouts or it won't work at all unless it's connected to both AES In and Out.

lucienpalmer 10-13-2019 09:28 PM

Any chance you have a Dante card on your MTRX? I use these adapters to get as much audio input as I need....

https://www.amazon.com/Audinate-Dant...C4Y?th=1&psc=1

I know it doesn’t directly solve your problem, but thought I would mention that Incase the sync issue doesn’t work out.

SomeOtherGuy 10-13-2019 09:43 PM

Thanks for that, looks interesting. I'd get a Dante card if it's solve this clocking issue, since I'd to stay digital if possible. But you're saying with this I could go analog into the Dante card. That might be the way to go...

Darryl Ramm 10-13-2019 09:50 PM

Not sure going Dante to just get analog would make sense.

Do you have something like an RME ADI-192 DD you can borrow? That gets you SRC (pretty sure it regens off the input clock at the same sample rate) tied to a clock signal. Super handy boxes, but overkill in general for this... but if you can borrow one.

Are other MTRX as touchy for locking to AES/EBU? I'm more guessing your Apple TV may be running a little loose. But if it happens with other stuff...

What computer do you have? Does it have optical in? (I'm guessing from your info you mean a late 2013 trashcan, so no). Maybe consider buying a USB or thunderbolt interface with optical in and switch to Pro Tools Standard while importing that S/PDIF input.