Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Slate Digital AAX-DSP? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350910)

WernerF 11-30-2014 09:00 PM

Re: Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

This is exactly why we are still on P Tools 10HD 6. I have an HDX system that is sitting in a closet gathering dust because what it can do that my TDM system can't is only a small part of what we need to do business. Higher ADC and voice count can hardly trump the ability to track through and utilize pretty much any TDM plugin that I need or want to use. As upscaps has said, HDX was not an upgrade. It was clearly a downgrade as a result of it's negative effect on workflow choices. I would love to be able to move into the future with the latest and the greatest new software. It's just not feasible from a business and professional standpoint yet though.

propower 11-30-2014 09:37 PM

If it was possible to code an AAX-DSP wrapper for 32bit TDM plugins it looks like someone could make quite a bit of $$$... Any clever folk out there? Or is it just absolutely not possible??

Keith Moore 12-01-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPA (Post 2208147)
Hi folks. We're focusing right now on getting VCC and FG-X into AAX Native first, and then we have the Virtual Microphone System coming out.

After that, we'll have to revisit the AAX DSP conversation and figure out if the demand is high enough. It will be very expensive for us to do with all of our plugins and will take a considerable amount of time and manpower. Despite what you may have heard, there is not a little 'switch' we hit to turn AAX Native into AAX DSP.

I will also say that with my new Mac Pro (cylinder), I'm tracking at 64 buffers using a thunderbolt interface at 96khz, using VMR and some zero latency verbs and delays, and I have a 1.5ms roundtrip and the CPU is barely touched. Tracked 20 tracks of drums, and vox/guitar scratches without a hitch.

But again, it will revolve around customer demand and I have ruled nothing out.

Cheers,
Steven

Every time I hear about the difficulties of DSP coding I simply believe it to be true. But then I also wish the likes of FLUX, Softube, Sonnex and the other developers of AAX-DSP would chime in.

Emcha_audio 12-02-2014 09:03 AM

It is a wonder sometime how some have been able to code very efficiently and fast (as in coding them fast) AAX DSP plugins while others drag their feet or just run and hide saying they won't do it. Bigger team? Better understanding of the architecture? Help From Avid? I truly would love to know too. Of course some have a tad less plugins but still...

Raoul23 12-02-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emcha_audio (Post 2208653)
It is a wonder sometime how some have been able to code very efficiently and fast AAX DSP plugins while others drag their feet or just run and hide saying they won't do it. Bigger team? Better understanding of the architecture? Help From Avid? I truly would love to know too.

Yeah McDSP we're very quick at getting their AAX DSP plugs out as were Sonnox very interesting ??

Emcha_audio 12-02-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2208655)
Yeah McDSP we're very quick at getting their AAX DSP plugs out as were Sonnox very interesting ??

And we know MCDSP isn't a big coding team either.. so...

upscaps 12-02-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raoul23 (Post 2208655)

sonnox took over a year and change after aax 64bit was announced. and not all of them came out at first. others came later. mcdsp is tied at the hip w/ pro tools. totally different than other developers.

we also have to factor in the resources and money it takes as developers have stated. some have it, some don't, some choose not to invest. if aax-dsp was a big money making market maybe things would be different. early adopters jumped on it based on faith. others waited to see if it makes sense for them. and they have chosen to pass so far.

as mentioned earlier. a 32bit tdm to 64bit aax-dsp bridge would be huge. however, i think there is a better chance of third party developers coding for waves dls linux/intel soungrid server.

Keith Moore 12-02-2014 09:31 AM

I think it comes down to the old saying of quantity vs quality. There are more people using Native systems in bedrooms than DSP users in professional studios. I'm still holding hope that the DSP production will grow. I don't care about paying more for the same plug-in in DSP form. It was that way with TDM vs RTAS. And I am one of those that truly believes to hear a difference when switching certain plug-ins from DSP to Native.

upscaps 12-02-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emcha_audio (Post 2208653)
It is a wonder sometime how some have been able to code very efficiently and fast (as in coding them fast) AAX DSP plugins while others drag their feet or just run and hide saying they won't do it. Bigger team? Better understanding of the architecture? Help From Avid? I truly would love to know too. Of course some have a tad less plugins but still...

let us not re-write history. sonnox took a long time. and the early aax-dsp plugins were awfully optimized not efficient. seemed like softube, plugin alliance, et al just did native on aax-dsp with little optimization just to be first. even avid's early aax-dsp was not optimized as well. with updates most have improved greatly.

making a business decision not to participate is not dragging their feet or running n hiding. seriously why not get some crowdfunding going from some aax-dsp customers to donate to these companies who choose not to spend their money n resources.

Keith Moore 12-02-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upscaps (Post 2208668)
seriously why not get some crowdfunding going from some aax-dsp customers to donate to these companies who choose not to spend their money n resources.

I think if this were an option enough money could be raised. Especially if it were at the price of a free upgrade or something within the prize options of most crowd funding setups.