Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Licensing and Version Compatibility Questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376339)

Cransoon 01-05-2016 04:26 PM

Licensing and Version Compatibility Questions

I know this topic straddles several forum categories, so I figured this might be the best place to post, as they're pre-purchase questions, and I'm new to the forums.

To give a little background on me, I'm an audio student in Chicago. I want to purchase a subscription to Pro Tools in order to work on school projects from home, and so I won't be tied down to the school workstations in the event that they're being used, or otherwise unavailable. Before I decide to buy the subscription, I have a couple of quick questions.

My first question is in regards to licensing. I'm aware that, in addition to the purchase of the software itself, you need to purchase an iLok key to authorize Pro Tools on different computers. One thing I'm not clear about is whether this is platform specific. I have a PC as my desktop, and a Macbook as my laptop. If I authorized Pro Tools on my PC, would I run into any trouble trying to carry that authorization to my laptop, based on the fact that they're running different operating systems, and therefor different versions of Pro Tools? Apologies if the answer feels extremely obvious, but I haven't found any specifics about this on the Avid website.

My second question is about version compatibility. The workstations at my school are currently running Pro Tools 10, and the subscription options for students are for Pro Tools 12. Are there any major feature differences that would cause compatibility issues when carrying a project between the two versions?

Thanks,
Chris

Craig F 01-05-2016 04:50 PM

Re: Licensing and Version Compatibility Questions

12 has some things that 10 doesn't, don't use VCAs at home an you should be OK

iLok is not platform specific, you can move between Windows and Mac easily
Sessions can be moved relative easily between the 2 platforms you need to remember what drive formats work with what OS and Pro Tools
you need to make sure that your computers meet Pro Tools minimum requirements, except, RAM 8 GB min
Most people use MacBook Pros, not sure if a MacBook will work well

Cransoon 01-05-2016 08:34 PM

Apologies, I always forget that non-Pro Macbooks exist, because I see them so infrequently. Mine is actually a Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM, so hopefully I shouldn't have any issues. Thanks for the quick response!

musicman691 01-06-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cransoon (Post 2325735)
Apologies, I always forget that non-Pro Macbooks exist, because I see them so infrequently. Mine is actually a Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM, so hopefully I shouldn't have any issues. Thanks for the quick response!

One issue you might have is if your MBP has USB3 ports. There have been numerous postings here and elsewheres that people have had problems getting their iLok2 recognized when connected to USB3 ports. The usual remedy is to get a powered USB2 hub and plug the iLok into that and the hub into the computer.

Something else to keep in mind is you're going to want to have an separate non-green external drive for PT to record to. 7200 rpm minimum speed or an ssd. You never want to record to the system drive unless it's a large enough ssd.