Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cloud Atlas - congratulations Frank Kruse! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=331203)

danijel 11-23-2012 04:54 PM

Cloud Atlas - congratulations Frank Kruse!

Finally, three months after the trailer came out, long three months of desperate wait and hope, I saw the new Wachowski/Tykwer movie - 'Cloud Atlas'.

I took the best seat in the best room in our best theater, took a good leak (the movie is three hours long), went to the projection booth, made them turn it up to 6.5, and immersed myself in the movie and the comfy seat.... The sound was nothing less then stellar, as you would expect on an epic project like this. Crossing all genres and centuries, there are quite a lot of different sound tapestries to please the ear. A lot of short sequences cutting back and forth between different ages and places (and planets!) I must imagine it was a pleasure doing such a rich and sound-design heavy movie.....

Frank, it would be nice if you can share a story or two on this epic undertaking... and congratulations to you and everyone involved!

cmaynes 11-23-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Cloud Atlas - congratulations Frank Kruse!

congrats Frank- I am actually watching it as I am typing this, and it is about as mind blowing as the first of the Matrix films.... lovely work on a quite adventuresome piece of Cinema.

Frank Kruse 11-24-2012 04:01 AM

Thanks guys!
I'll pass it on to the gang. One of the mixers is also on this board (matt-o).

Reception has been as controversial as can be . Pretty much divides audience into love-or-hate groups.

So thanks for the kind words!

danijel, I can share some details but currently I'm a bit under pressure in the pre-mix for a new project which has been pretty wild. Will get back in a 1-2 weeks once we're through with the pre-dubs.

Just quickly wanted to say thanks for your kind words.

Frank.

Ayush Ahuja 11-24-2012 06:56 AM

I'd just like to chime in and say congratulations as well Frank. Throughly enjoyed the movie - i'd like to watch it again for sure!

Yush

YYR123 11-24-2012 07:59 AM

Can't wait to see it - looks like a real story - not a cookie cutter HW 90 min - that's great

Joe Mendelson 11-26-2012 02:36 PM

I happened to see it just last night (11/25/12), so I'll chime in too. The sound work is excellent throughout - congrats Frank and the team!
I think the picture editor(s) deserve a shout out as well - its really an editing tour de force!

Its certainly polarizing as a work of art. Some of my friends were in the 'hate' category. I took a while to warm up to it myself, but by the second hour I was caught up in the story, and by the end I was completely transported. I should mention that I did in fact read the book, and I honestly can't imagine what the experience would be like if I hadn't.

In any case, I don't think it can be disputed that it is a super ambitious feat of film making, and worth a look even if it doesn't win you over. You will be impressed by the scale and scope of the creativity, at the very least. Its still lingering in my mind today, and I think it will for a long time, which I can't say of most films.

Would love to hear more opinions...and would LOVE to hear more about the sound team's work from Frank, if/when you get time.

Cheers -

JM

MIKEROPHONICS 11-29-2012 07:22 AM

I am looking forward to seeing this - come on BAFTA send me my screener!

JohnR424 11-29-2012 07:26 AM

BTW, it should be at 7 in the booth to give you 85db ref level, as mixed.

danijel 11-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR424 (Post 1984930)
BTW, it should be at 7 in the booth to give you 85db ref level, as mixed.

No commercial theater will play at 7 here, no way. It's not even easy to get them to bump it from their usual 5.5 to 6.5. Only premiere venues will go to 7.
EDIT: but let's not turn this into another playback-level thread :)

MIKEROPHONICS 11-29-2012 11:15 AM

Sad really how the film industry now has worse playback reference issues than digital tv