Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Large delay/latency when using hardware inserts on Omni (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401835)

chrisdee 11-07-2018 04:04 AM

Large delay/latency when using hardware inserts on Omni

Hi,

I get a lagre delay/latency when I use my Cl1b as a hardware insert in Pro Tools Ultimate. Is this normal behaviour?

I'm planing on getting another compressor Retro 176 befor christmas. What happens with the latency in PT if I connect another compressor.
Will I get 2x the latency or will it stay the same?

albee1952 11-07-2018 09:58 AM

Re: Large delay/latency when using hardware inserts on Omni

How much latency? HDN or HDX? Going out and back with an analog insert should be fairly short(buffer setting plus conversion time to analog and back):o

Darryl Ramm 11-07-2018 10:28 AM

What interface? What is your IO buffer size? What is the latency you measure? They should agree? ... allow 2X for output and input.

Another analog compressor used in a separate hardware insert, or physically chained with this one is not going to increase the latency... unless you chain effects back through Pro Tools and out as another hardware insert again (uh don’t do that).

crizdee 11-07-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 2504954)
Hi,

I get a lagre delay/latency when I use my Cl1b as a hardware insert in Pro Tools Ultimate. Is this normal behaviour?

I'm planing on getting another compressor Retro 176 befor christmas. What happens with the latency in PT if I connect another compressor.
Will I get 2x the latency or will it stay the same?

Hi,

I get 69 samples delay with my CL-1B Used as an hardware insert using matching inputs and outputs? otherwise delay comp doesn't work. this is with a 256 buffer on PT10 HD

Chris

albee1952 11-07-2018 09:42 PM

Are you trying to track with hardware inserts? That may be hoping for too much:o I track with hardware comps and/or EQ's, but they are in-line(between the preamps and the interface) so they don't incur any additional latency. While mixing, I prefer to stay in the box(but latency should not be an issue during mix as long as ADC is working). :o

chrisdee 11-08-2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2504981)
How much latency? HDN or HDX?

HDN. I get over 2000 samples delay.

chrisdee 11-08-2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2505061)
Are you trying to track with hardware inserts?

No. I connect one of the DB25 outputs on my Omni into my CL1b wich again goes back into the corresponding input line on Omni. I then select a I/O insert and get over 2000 samples delay on that channel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2505061)
I track with hardware comps and/or EQ's, but they are in-line(between the preamps and the interface)

I too do this 99.9% of the time. I just wanted to compare my hardware CL1b to my Softube Cl1b in a mixing situation.