Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Multiple inputs assigned to a track? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407274)

albee1952 09-11-2023 12:09 PM

Re: Multiple inputs assigned to a track?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad jitter (Post 2680200)
I could use this functionality, and it would be very handy for certain workflows.

Hmm, would love an example here. I've been recording for decades and the thought of this has never crossed my mind unless I had limited tracks and too many inputs. These days, its usually unlimited tracks and not enough inputs:o

bad jitter 09-11-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2680233)
Hmm, would love an example here...

Okay, here's an example: When I automate reverbs, I usually use pretty much the same settings for both dialogue and fx reverbs. Or at least that would be a nice starting point. But writing pretty much the same automation for two reverbs is double work. So, for now, when building the base of the reverb automation, I route the inputs of the fx reverbs to the inputs of the dialogue reverbs by creating extra aux outputs, automating the dialogue reverbs only. And when I'm pretty much done, I'll change the fx reverb inputs back to their respective inputs and copy all the plugin automation from the dialogue reverbs to the fx reverbs.

It would be much simpler if I could temporarily use two inputs to the dialogue reverbs at this point. I'd love to hear how others are coping with this.

JFreak 09-11-2023 01:41 PM

You have two sends that point to single input. That's it.

bad jitter 09-11-2023 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2680246)
You have two sends that point to single input. That's it.

That is, of course, another option. But in this case, it is more complicated than my current method.

JFreak 09-11-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad jitter (Post 2680286)
That is, of course, another option. But in this case, it is more complicated than my current method.

Yes, until you decide you need different automation for the two. Copying automation from one to another is much easier.

its2loud 09-12-2023 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad jitter (Post 2680245)
Okay, here's an example: When I automate reverbs, I usually use pretty much the same settings for both dialogue and fx reverbs. Or at least that would be a nice starting point. But writing pretty much the same automation for two reverbs is double work. So, for now, when building the base of the reverb automation, I route the inputs of the fx reverbs to the inputs of the dialogue reverbs by creating extra aux outputs, automating the dialogue reverbs only. And when I'm pretty much done, I'll change the fx reverb inputs back to their respective inputs and copy all the plugin automation from the dialogue reverbs to the fx reverbs.

It would be much simpler if I could temporarily use two inputs to the dialogue reverbs at this point. I'd love to hear how others are coping with this.

Why don’t you just group the reverb track together? Then you don’t need to do all this copying and weird routing.