Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Original mbox 2 pro light won't come on (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295009)

oulablank 02-18-2011 10:23 PM

Original mbox 2 pro light won't come on

I use mac / 003 mostly when at home but I have a pc that I edit on . I was using usb devices like the micro b/c I don't need ins and outs when editing but today I say an mbox 2 pro for sale for $100 so I bought it . But when I plug it into my pc the light doesn't come on . I plugged it into my mac and it works fine ( without power supply ) . I plugged it back into my pc and it seems that my pc won't run the device off of its power like the mac did . I didn't plug in the power supply b/c it did not come with one . So I guess my questions are
1 . Does anyone know of an issue where with pc you need power supply ? If so , I'll buy one tomorrow . But thats what it seems like . My laptop won't juice it.
2 . I'm running PT 9 and I installed the latest driver but is that wrong ? Do I need to uninstall PT 9 1st before I install new driver ?
Thanks

oulablank 02-18-2011 11:27 PM

Re: Original mbox 2 pro light won't come on

Actually , one more question . Could someone tell me if there are any difference with ports on a pc ? I'm not as familiar with pc . The only firewire port I have is that little weird one . I have a cable that goes from that to 400 but my drives only have 1 400 and 2 800 ports . I have a 400 to 800 converter . So should I go firewire port on pc to drive ( 400 ) then 400 to 800 converter to go 400 from my pc to my mbox 2 pro . Either way , if I just plug in the mbox ( with new driver ) it seems that I need a power supply . I know avid says I don't but my pc won't power it .
Any input would be great

oulablank 02-19-2011 12:26 AM

Ok , due to my ignorance on the subject of 4 pin firewire ports ( which my pc has and i never really deal with b/c I'm a mac head ) I didn't realize that it doesn't supply power to external devices . That's what the extra pins are for in the 6 pins that I always use .
So my only question now is where should I put my 400-800 converter ?
All of my external drives have multiple 800 ports but only 1 400 port .
My pc laptop has 1 400 ( 4 pin ) port .
1 . 400 from cpu to HD - 400 to 800 converter to mbox 2 pro
or
2. 400 to 800 converter from cpu HD and keep the connection from mbox 2 pro to HD straight 400.
Thx

albee1952 02-19-2011 06:08 AM

Personally, I would install an approved firewire card in the PC and just run separate firewire400 cables.

oulablank 02-19-2011 03:02 PM

Why Albee ? Is there known issues with using for example a Sonnet 400 to 800 converter ? Since pc isn't my main gig / rig , I'd rather not get involved with add ons . But if that's the way then that's the way