Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   What I was hoping to be able to do with the Pro Tools Control app (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370718)

Audioartist 08-11-2015 01:53 PM

What I was hoping to be able to do with the Pro Tools Control app

The four most important features for me.

Adjusting plug-ins.
Setting cuemixes.
Use it together with my artist mix/artist control setup.
Use several of them at the same time.

Artist PM 08-11-2015 01:57 PM

Re: What I was hoping to be able to do with Ipad Control app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioartist (Post 2283847)
The four most important features for me.

Adjusting plug-ins.
Setting cuemixes.
Use it together with my artist mix/artist control setup.
Use several of them at the same time.

This is a great thread to start. I hope others take your lead and start discussing feature ideas here.

JC

made 08-11-2015 03:25 PM

Re: What I was hoping to be able to do with Ipad Control app.

in combination with S3:

having a surround panner that follows the track selection would be good.
this panner should be visible while in "tracks" mode, above the fader.

could you give some automation feedback in the tracks view?
I see mute and solo leds on the app and the surface but no feedback at all if I put a track into automation.

and it would be nice to see the automation modes like they are called in ProTools. Latch, Touch etc. Is this a Eucon limitation? It works in V-Control...

next to the fader you could put the "match automation arrows" (don't know how you call those arrows next to the ProTools Mixer faders) like on the Icons. (really miss that on the S3)

would it be possible to implement a wired connection via the lightning cable? this might improve speed and makes the connection more reliable...

Shatzer 08-11-2015 05:05 PM

Re: What I was hoping to be able to do with the Pro Tools Control app

Plugin control is a must.
Sends for headphones would be great.

I have 4 artist mix and so far the iPad app works great.

Latency would probably be too high over WiFi, but would like to be able to play around with virtual instruments through the iPad. (Programming drums with EZ Drummer or Slate)
But again....Latency.

noiseboyuk 08-21-2015 02:03 AM

A mode where the selected channel auxes and inserts (following selection in PT) would be helfpul.

Also a mode which is JUST softkeys, and much larger buttons. At the moment I only use one row because the softkeys are so absurdly narrow there's only a 4% chance of hitting the right one. The only practical solution is to delete a row entirely.

Righty27 08-21-2015 02:51 AM

Ditto for Guy's softkey dedicated page - this would work even better with multiple iPads (not sure if more than one is supported?)

As Artist PM has suggested adding ideas to this thread, I'll repeat previous ones here (some go back to well before this app was even announced):

* Plugin control - can Avid's role as gatekeepers Eucon as well as their 'proprietary' AAX format be leveraged to get plugin GUIs onto the iPad's touch surface? Or could an extension to the AAX specification be used to get an iPad-specific GUI into future plugin updates e.g. with the iPad-specific GUI just displaying the main controls but with the same look and feel as the full version which appears on the desktop?

* Scrolling waveform display, like on S6

Whilst I guess these could be in-app purchases, I doubt the reasonable pricing which would be required would make much of an impact on Avid's bottom line. With competitor DAWs solid efforts/lead in this area already, Avid have an opportunity to add features which enhance the overall Pro Tools proposition (which many users feel has been severly diluted in recent years) and Pro Tools | Control could help?!

nickspradlin 08-21-2015 04:20 PM

+1 for Plugin control!
- a view of the actually plug in window would probably be preferred over just parameters and sliders....but the option to have both and change views, that would really be something!

Another +1 for Full-screen soft keys!
- I mean really dude

Righty27 08-24-2015 01:29 PM

Nice demo (including Eucon, Artist Mix and Artist Transport) by Sweetwater - http://youtu.be/JxuN2BFYAgM

YYR123 08-24-2015 02:30 PM

Nice video

dr_daw 08-24-2015 04:52 PM

That is a cool video, but it shows what I've asked Kyle from Avid development, how did they test and use PTC? What I want to see in this app is the ability of it to stay connected when my host system is in the control, and I'm in the live room. This is where PTC will be extremely powerful.

If I could get this app to stay connected reliably, I would trust it in professional sessions. At this time, I can't, so it's V-Control Pro for me until the connection issues are resolved.

+1 for Insert and Send control

- Transport control when using softkeys

Cheers, still waiting to hear back from Kyle with an answer to my questions.