Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PT 12.5 Video Engine (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=379507)

VRS 04-01-2016 12:45 PM

PT 12.5 Video Engine

Sorry for the long post.

I've installed 12.5. Works fine until I try to load video.

I load a session that has an h.264 video track and a ProRes video track.

"The video engine had an unrecoverable error.
Would you like to reinitialize the Video Engine"
I select "Yes" of course.

Then I get "Pro Tools encountered an error quitting the Video Engine" with an "OK" button. So I select "OK". Then I get the same error, and I click OK.

I get "Waiting for the Video Engine to launch ..." then the session loads.

Then I get:
"The session contains media that is not supported possibly due to a missing CODEC." "OK"

The session finishes loading and the ProRes video track is there but no video, but the video is fine on the h.264 track. I have another exact same session, but it has a dnx version of the video. I load it and it's fine. I go back to the previous session, and the ProRes version is fine.

I made a session that just had ProRes and I get the same errors.

I have found that when I quit ProTools I seem to get this error sequence almost every time, no matter what video format I have in the session. ( I just tried it with the dnx copy and got the same sequence of errors.) The sessions load but no video. I immediately close and re-open the session and everything is fine.

I've tried a few different sessions now. 3 different videos (different clients even). All the same thing. As long as PT is running I can change sessions and it's fine. The first time the Video Engine loads it gets the error and I have to close and re-open the session for the video to work.

I've also tried starting PT with a session that has no video, then loading a video into that session. I get "There was an error with the Video Engine" or something. It has to quit the video engine. It gets an error. Tries again. Sometimes the video loads fine, sometimes not. But if I then load another session with video it's fine.

If I go back to 12.4, everything works fine.

I've re-installed 12.5, trashed prefs. No difference.

Anybody Else?

Vince

Mac OS X 10.9.5, 32 Gigs RAM, BlackMagic DeckLink SDI 4K

Brandonx1 04-01-2016 01:03 PM

Re: PT 12.5 Video Engine

Pro res works very well on my system. Both osx and Windows

gives 04-01-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRS (Post 2346630)
Sorry for the long post.

I've installed 12.5. Works fine until I try to load video.

I load a session that has an h.264 video track and a ProRes video track.

"The video engine had an unrecoverable error.
Would you like to reinitialize the Video Engine"
I select "Yes" of course.

Then I get "Pro Tools encountered an error quitting the Video Engine" with an "OK" button. So I select "OK". Then I get the same error, and I click OK.

I get "Waiting for the Video Engine to launch ..." then the session loads.

Then I get:
"The session contains media that is not supported possibly due to a missing CODEC." "OK"

The session finishes loading and the ProRes video track is there but no video, but the video is fine on the h.264 track. I have another exact same session, but it has a dnx version of the video. I load it and it's fine. I go back to the previous session, and the ProRes version is fine.

I made a session that just had ProRes and I get the same errors.

I have found that when I quit ProTools I seem to get this error sequence almost every time, no matter what video format I have in the session. ( I just tried it with the dnx copy and got the same sequence of errors.) The sessions load but no video. I immediately close and re-open the session and everything is fine.

I've tried a few different sessions now. 3 different videos (different clients even). All the same thing. As long as PT is running I can change sessions and it's fine. The first time the Video Engine loads it gets the error and I have to close and re-open the session for the video to work.

I've also tried starting PT with a session that has no video, then loading a video into that session. I get "There was an error with the Video Engine" or something. It has to quit the video engine. It gets an error. Tries again. Sometimes the video loads fine, sometimes not. But if I then load another session with video it's fine.

If I go back to 12.4, everything works fine.

I've re-installed 12.5, trashed prefs. No difference.

Anybody Else?

Vince

Mac OS X 10.9.5, 32 Gigs RAM, BlackMagic DeckLink SDI 4K

I recently switched from H.264 after years of using it.

I would take a look a this list from Avid.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...r-Pro-Tools-11

It says that H.264 (Performance may vary).. Not sure what that means, but have been using DNxHD (Preferred) or just an mp4 without issues. G

EarHole 04-01-2016 10:44 PM

This issue really needs to be fixed. It's caused my room to go down multiple times with no solution. Converting to Pro Res is a pain in the heat of battle with a room full of clients. It also makes archiving more copious.

I've worked on Pro Tools for about 20 years, day in, day out. My current system is fast and powerful but asking it to be rock solid on the video front like my previous rigs is a fleeting dream.

Editors are kicking out and posting video & revisions in mp4 and h.264 for mix files. It's a way of life for us these days.

Buccanears 04-01-2016 11:03 PM

They can't simply "fix it". It's the nature of the format. H264 is a delivery format fit for the best high quality kitten videos on the interwebs.
It is not a format for post production.
https://randycoppinger.com/2012/06/1...nd-h264-video/

Mark Ziebarth 04-02-2016 01:15 AM

That's true. I tested with Pro Tools 11 the other day and H264 videos performed as well as dnxHD. They've been even less CPU consuming, what I didn't expect.

Brandonx1 04-02-2016 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccanears (Post 2346737)
They can't simply "fix it". It's the nature of the format. H264 is a delivery format fit for the best high quality kitten videos on the interwebs.
It is not a format for post production.
https://randycoppinger.com/2012/06/1...nd-h264-video/

Exactly

diamondschwin 04-02-2016 08:16 AM

Have had decent experience with the new video engine. The new black magic drivers are still terrible so we are sticking to 10.4.x but those also had to be reinstalled after the 12.5 upgrade.

Glad they have moved the video engine up. I'm guessing that's in preparation for official support of the DNXio and DNXHR and 2k/4k

VRS 04-02-2016 09:53 AM

Please don't get set off on an h.264 path. It's got nothing to do with h.264.

I always get clients to send me DNx or ProRes, or I convert to DNx. The session I imported just happened to have the original h.264 picture in it as well. I did a bunch of tests with various video codecs to see what was up. It doesn't matter which codec I use I get these errors.

I never edit with h.264.

I heard from a buddy of mine last night who's getting the same Video Engine errors. He emailed me to see if I had similar problems.

Vince

HDXSound 04-02-2016 12:31 PM

Dnxhd videos generate the same errors on my rig...