Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Before I instal PT10, is this compatable? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=314258)

crabmonster 12-25-2011 09:29 AM

Before I instal PT10, is this compatable?

So I have read about people claiming that since Pro Tools does not support computer components I would check with people to see if my build is going to work before I open the box and can not return my copy. (Parents got me 10 from the holidays =0 )

My computer build

I have been told that Pro Tools does not support SSD's or AMD graphics (as well as officially they don't even support AMD cpu's either yet there are plenty of people on this board that use them anyways). I have reviewed the officially supported pc post as well as the computers listed on Avid's site that are qualified to run Pro Tools. I just want to know if these components (or similar ones) have worked in other people's rigs since I have been having trouble finding relevant information on Sandy Bridge cpu's with Pro Tools since the initial batch of them had issues that were resolved?

I am running Windows 7 64bit Home Edition (I know Pro Tools runs at 32bit only) off my SSD and using the 1 HDD for storage of everything until their prices drop to an acceptable amount so I can grab more.

If I missed any info that will help let me know.

albee1952 12-26-2011 06:56 PM

Re: Before I instal PT10, is this compatable?

The onboard graphics with the Z68 mobo's seems to be hit or miss when it comes to compatibility. I think you may be okay as long as you set BIOS to disable the onboard and only use the ATI card. My personal experience seems to show either ATI or nVidia CAN work. I built a similar rig(same cpu) on a P67 mobo and have had a lot of issues with it. It does work, and I can record with it, but I have to set the buffer to 1024 and use LLM with my 003(lower buffers will usually stop and throw a 9128 error). Cross your fingers, do ALL the tweaks(and maybe sacrifice a live chicken:D:eek:)....hey...it couldn't hurt:p

crabmonster 12-27-2011 04:38 PM

Chicken... Check
Tweaks... Check.
Sounds good man thanks for the response. Is there any reason why it is so glitchy? (is it like assembly language or some sort of lower level communication I do not end up seeing or just ome sort of goofy thing that is avid's way of saying use a Mac?)

I understand if no one truly knows but I am of the nerdy variety and am curious.

highspeedrecords 01-30-2012 09:00 AM

Did you get it to work? A couple of months ago I upgraded from PT9 to PT10 and realized PT10 didn't work with my Z68 MOBO. I downgraded back to 9 in hopes they may resolve the issue in the future. Trying to figure out if I should try re-installing

albee1952 01-30-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highspeedrecords (Post 1895885)
Did you get it to work? A couple of months ago I upgraded from PT9 to PT10 and realized PT10 didn't work with my Z68 MOBO. I downgraded back to 9 in hopes they may resolve the issue in the future. Trying to figure out if I should try re-installing

So 9 worked on the Z68 but 10 did not? That's interesting:rolleyes: Wonder what's going on there:eek:

highspeedrecords 08-06-2012 07:14 PM

I actually ended up getting PT10 to work. I waited a couple months from my last post and attempted another install and it works. Don't know why, but it does!