Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Presonus Studio One For Performance (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400570)

QuikDraw 08-12-2018 04:15 PM

Presonus Studio One For Performance

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually considering switching to another DAW. Been using PT since 2000 with PTLE 5.1 on PC. Now running PT 2018.7 on both Mac and PC.

Performance has always been a challenge in PT vanilla. I've always been able to get by with high buffers, and monitoring through an external mixer for zero latency, and I always just assumed that this was normal.

I recently purchased a Presonus Quantum 2, which they claim is the world's fastest interface. At first I was impressed. I was able to get it down to 64 samples in Windows, but I eventually found out that random CPU spikes actually made that setting unusable. So I have to run at 128 samples. Too much latency for tracking through plugins. Somehow PT has managed to take the fastet interface in the world, and make it run like any run of the mill USB interface!

On Mac I can reliably run it at 32 samples, but I'm just not comfortable in Mac OS.

Then I tried Studio One 3.5 Artist that came with the Quantum 2. Wow!

I can run reliably at 16 samples, and the CPU never breaks a sweat! Never over 10% ever! PT doesn't even see 16 samples as an option. At 16 samples, latency is a thing of the past.

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with S1, but I'm quickly getting used to it. Unfortunately the Artist version does not allow 3rd party plugins, so I'll have to pony up $300 for the pro version before I can try tracking through Amplitube 4, but I think I might just give it a try.

I'm sure I'll keep using PT if only for mixing. The UI is just so easy to figure out. I mean, if you've ever used a mixer and a tape recorder, you can use PT. No manual needed.

zedhed 08-12-2018 05:54 PM

Re: Presonus Studio One For Performance

I'm getting ready to jump off the Avid train at the next stop.

Like you, I've been using PT for a long long time and it feels like the railway lines are getting too rough. Maybe because I'm getting older....I'm feeling all the bumps.

Top Jimmy 08-12-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikDraw (Post 2496671)
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually considering switching to another DAW. Been using PT since 2000 with PTLE 5.1 on PC. Now running PT 2018.7 on both Mac and PC.

Performance has always been a challenge in PT vanilla. I've always been able to get by with high buffers, and monitoring through an external mixer for zero latency, and I always just assumed that this was normal.

I recently purchased a Presonus Quantum 2, which they claim is the world's fastest interface. At first I was impressed. I was able to get it down to 64 samples in Windows, but I eventually found out that random CPU spikes actually made that setting unusable. So I have to run at 128 samples. Too much latency for tracking through plugins. Somehow PT has managed to take the fastet interface in the world, and make it run like any run of the mill USB interface!

On Mac I can reliably run it at 32 samples, but I'm just not comfortable in Mac OS.

Then I tried Studio One 3.5 Artist that came with the Quantum 2. Wow!

I can run reliably at 16 samples, and the CPU never breaks a sweat! Never over 10% ever! PT doesn't even see 16 samples as an option. At 16 samples, latency is a thing of the past.

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with S1, but I'm quickly getting used to it. Unfortunately the Artist version does not allow 3rd party plugins, so I'll have to pony up $300 for the pro version before I can try tracking through Amplitube 4, but I think I might just give it a try.

I'm sure I'll keep using PT if only for mixing. The UI is just so easy to figure out. I mean, if you've ever used a mixer and a tape recorder, you can use PT. No manual needed.

Don't you get $100 off of Pro if you have Artist registered?

QuikDraw 08-13-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2496687)
Don't you get $100 off of Pro if you have Artist registered?

Yes. The full price it $400. I also looked at crossgrade. It's 25% off. $400 - ($400 X .25) = $300.
I also looked at upgrading to S1 4 Artist upgrade then Pro upgrade. $50 + $250 = $300.

xrekcor 09-14-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikDraw (Post 2496730)
Yes. The full price it $400. I also looked at crossgrade. It's 25% off. $400 - ($400 X .25) = $300.
I also looked at upgrading to S1 4 Artist upgrade then Pro upgrade. $50 + $250 = $300.

so did you upgrade Studio One? how you travelling with it?

QuikDraw 09-14-2018 07:54 AM

I haven't upgraded to Pro yet. Still using 3.5 Artist. So no VST plugins yet.
I still like PT better except for the performance, but I've gotten to the point where I can work in S1 most of the time without getting frustrated.
The stability and performance is incredible. PT can't touch that.

xrekcor 09-14-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikDraw (Post 2499745)
I haven't upgraded to Pro yet. Still using 3.5 Artist. So no VST plugins yet.
I still like PT better except for the performance, but I've gotten to the point where I can work in S1 most of the time without getting frustrated.
The stability and performance is incredible. PT can't touch that.

ok thanks, I'm looking at possibly getting a PreSonus series 3 SL32... and it looks like I will be pretty much stuck with SO while they work on the hui protocol so's other DAWs can access their DAW control. can you open your SO projects in PT? or export them across some how?

also can PT see your Presonus Quantum 2 ok?

QuikDraw 09-15-2018 02:15 PM

I don't know about opening a SO project in PT. I haven't tried that. I'm running SO 3.5 Artist. Looks like they didn't include OMF or AAF export until version 4. So if you get version 4 you might have limited success in exporting something PT can understand.

Yes, PT sees the Quantum 2 interface, and I use it all the time. But in PT the Quantum 2 doesn't perform any better than any run of the mill USB interface. In SO the Quantum 2 really shines!

QuikDraw 10-14-2018 05:42 PM

I finally upgraded to Studio One 4 Pro. As I suspected, I am able to reliably track with a 16 sample buffer with Amplitube 4 active on the record enabled track. It's completely stable. I Pro Tools I have to run 128 sample buffer to get a mostly stable system, and that's too much latency to track through Amplitube.

It's too bad Avid can't seem to figure out how to run a stable system at low sample buffers. I'm way more at home in Pro Tools. There are still some very basic audio editing tasks that I have yet to figure out in S1 that are no brainers in PT.

Oh well. I have both, so I'll use whichever is best for the task at hand. Probably S1 for Tracking, and maybe PT for editing and mixing. But I am getting more comfortable in S1. I might eventually stop paying for an Avid subscription.

And I love Melodyne! Too bad it's the Essentials version. There's just enough there to make me want the full version!

albee1952 10-14-2018 06:18 PM

Your best bet for moving a project from any DAW to another is to consolidate all audio back to time zero and export wave files. OMF often disappoints:o