Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Concerning virtual instrument playback (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403867)

audiobob23@ 03-25-2019 09:50 AM

Concerning virtual instrument playback

Hi all,

I've been looking in the DUC for an answer to this and so far have come up with nothing.

I'm using PT 12.8.3 on a Windows 7 64bit system with 16GB memory. My projects are about a 70/30 ratio of audio tracks and virtual instrument tracks. I don't really ever use any external MIDI instruments, it's all originating from within Pro Tools.

My trouble is this - When I'm playing back my session and hit STOP, the VIs continue playing out their last note and eventually stop when the note duration would have finished anyway. Likewise, often when I hit PLAY, the VIs will take a few seconds to catch up and play a lot of notes quickly to catch up.

This has cost me a lot of time when I'm doing work that requires a lot of tight edits and playing back repeatedly.

BEFORE you say it, I'm well aware that I can commit the VIs to audio in 12.8.3. However, my preference is to leave them as VIs until the very final mix, in case a MIDI parameter is what really needs tweaking.

So maybe there's a nice fix that can cut off the MIDI notes instantly when I hit STOP? Something I've overlooked?

Thanks much!
Audio Bob

amagras 03-25-2019 09:52 AM

Re: Concerning virtual instrument playback

What VI?

audiobob23@ 03-25-2019 10:11 AM

amagras,

It's the same story no matter what VI. My current session has a string pad from XPand2, a couple of DB-33 tracks and a couple of Waves Grand Rhapsody piano tracks. Other sessions with different VIs behave the same way.

amagras 03-25-2019 10:23 AM

Are you working with a small Sample Rate? This has happened to me when I have a session with to many VIs and only happens with some of them. Having to many edits on screen has caused my sessions to slow down, for example after applying Beat Detective to a lot of drum tracks, usually group g all the clips makes it better and consolidate works better.
Just throwing a few ideas out

audiobob23@ 03-25-2019 10:27 AM

That's a good suggestion. I do in fact have extremely edit-heavy sessions. Consolidating the tracks might help. I'll give it a try.

amagras 03-25-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobob23@ (Post 2520107)
That's a good suggestion. I do in fact have extremely edit-heavy sessions. Consolidating the tracks might help. I'll give it a try.

Please report back if it works.

audiobob23@ 04-12-2019 06:41 AM

I finally had time to try this suggestion. Unfortunately, consolidating all the edit-heavy tracks had no effect.

64GTOBOY 04-12-2019 08:44 AM

Why not temporarily freeze/commit the VI's you are not presently editing? It will slow you down a little but may cause less aggro in the long run.

albee1952 04-12-2019 07:33 PM

I have had similar, but not in a long time. Trashing prefs and database files might be worth a shot. What are you using to enter/record midi data? Assuming a keyboard of some kind, is Midi Studio setup to route midi back to the keyboard? Just wondering if there is some weird midi loop:o

chrisdee 04-19-2019 11:54 PM

Ive had similare problems in previous versions of PT in the past but not on all VIs. Like Dave suggested try disconnecting any synths or midi keyboards to se if it has any effect. I would also suggest maby trying a newer version of PT. Last resort is to freeze/bounce tracks.