Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Freeze Tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=242870)

Siegfried Meier 03-30-2009 08:57 PM

Freeze Tracks

Anyone else wish PT8 had this, similar to how Logic Pro 8 does it? Would be quite helpful, I think.

Sig

sleadley 03-30-2009 10:00 PM

Re: Freeze Tracks

Can't be done with TDM architecture. TDM is a realtime, all the data is piped through the TDM bus and the cards. It has been discussed for years with the same limitation pointed out by Digi and others.
Simon L.

tonwurm 03-31-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleadley (Post 1375924)
Can't be done with TDM architecture. TDM is a realtime, all the data is piped through the TDM bus and the cards. It has been discussed for years with the same limitation pointed out by Digi and others.
Simon L.

...but it would be helpful if it was a little easier to bounce tracks, similar to Digital Performer as a DAE-frontend, all you have to do is to select the track (or multiple tracks), make a time selection and DP creates new tracks and bounces the output from the selected tracks (since working in DAE-mode only in realtime). After that the source tracks are still there, but muted. Much more comfortable than manually routing via bus to an audiotrack, record enable, muting the source tracks and and and

sleadley 03-31-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 1375962)
...but it would be helpful if it was a little easier to bounce tracks, similar to Digital Performer as a DAE-frontend, all you have to do is to select the track (or multiple tracks), make a time selection and DP creates new tracks and bounces the output from the selected tracks (since working in DAE-mode only in realtime). After that the source tracks are still there, but muted. Much more comfortable than manually routing via bus to an audiotrack, record enable, muting the source tracks and and and

This can already be done. Select tracks then Shift-S TO SOLO, Bounce to disk with split tracks and Import file to Session checked in BTD window. Then after bounce Shift-M to mute selected Tracks then Drag imported File Track window which will create a new track, name it and assign to default output. Not that hard really. I do it all the time.
Simon L.

tonwurm 03-31-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleadley (Post 1375970)
This can already be done. Select tracks then Shift-S TO SOLO, Bounce to disk with split tracks and Import file to Session checked in BTD window. Then after bounce Shift-M to mute selected Tracks then Drag imported File Track window which will create a new track, name it and assign to default output. Not that hard really. I do it all the time.
Simon L.

thanks... but I know that

10 or more steps to click - to choose - to name - to select

in DP only 1 click AND it can be done for multiple tracks at the same time

the bouncetime is not the problem for me, I can live with that, but I donīt understand why digi didnīt make such an essential function work a little easier.

woodsdenis 03-31-2009 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 1375981)
thanks... but I know that

10 or more steps to click - to choose - to name - to select

in DP only 1 click AND it can be done for multiple tracks at the same time

the bouncetime is not the problem for me, I can live with that, but I donīt understand why digi didnīt make such an essential function work a little easier.

Totally agree. I dont care about the realtime aspect. Just make bouncing
10 VI to audio tracks a 1 or 2 click affair and go and take a tea break:D

tonwurm 03-31-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsdenis (Post 1375982)
...and go and take a tea break:D

thatīs not so bad:rolleyes:

drenkrom 03-31-2009 05:57 AM

This limitation of the TDM architecture could be sidestepped rather elegantly if PT had some macro-programming ability. You know, like that other DAW that starts in "Cu" and finishes in "Base", for example. A nice little menu where you can select operations and place them in the order you want them, assign a key combination to it and BLAM! one key combination solos the track, puts automation on read, bounces the selection, creates an audio track with a logical name, places the bounce on it and mutes the original track.

Oh, the power we could unleash with such simple tools! Maybe in PT9...

Sean Russell 03-31-2009 06:39 AM

Ok printing out to a new audio track is too much. I get it. But isn't that Cubase app unable to easily give individual files from a session? If somebody brings in Cubase format sessions, I've always said they need to consolidate and export so we can fly the tracks in. I've never seen this done. I've been told you have to - wait for it - solo and bounce every track! So which is easier? I'd prefer to layback out of busses to new audio tracks (in PT from audio or VI) but I can see how that's three or more clicks. Yet I print FX this way all the time from older systems (like our PT5 setups with the Lexiverb.)

Create new tracks (1 click)
Set outputs to busses (1 click)
Set new tracks to inputs same busses (1 click) - and great key commands for this input / output thing
Name tracks (yeah, there's clicking involved on this one)
Record arm (almost 1 click)
Run track (1 click)
Hide and Make Inactive on original tracks

So, yeah, it takes a few. I don't know about 10, but there's a reason this job is detail oriented and fits under the 'pro' and 'specialized' side of 'work'. Seems easy to me, but I suppose if it were easy, everybody would be doing it - oh wait, they are!

And if BTD on multimono files (and choosing import when done bouncing), PT magically flies the new bounces to new tracks at your current selection (if you pick 'new track' as opposed to 'region list'.

So all this pecking at the iPhone to get my point across here I could have done it several times already!

HassanDavis 03-31-2009 07:53 AM

Logic's Freeze functionality is elegant. Click the snowflake for the desired tracks and hit play. Logic then renders the tracks in-place, disables DSP usage for those tracks and seamlessly plays the rendered audio for frozen tracks (honoring mutes, volume changes, etc).

Resource hungry synths make freezing indispensable.

Want to make a change to what you played on a track? Simply toggle the snowflake, make your change and hit the snowflake again. Logic deletes the backing, rendered freeze files and re-renders them. Your project does not fill up with various stages of renders...

Please, let us stop making excuses for various aspects of Pro Tools (especially when it comes to workflow). Except for limitations due to previous design decisions, we do not hear Digi making excuses about current limitations. Best believe, the folks at Digi likely find Freeze an elegant and desirable feature.

Also, just because an operation is cumbersome does not mean that it is 'pro'. It just means that it is unnecessarily cumbersome. Underneath it all, pro features should be as powerful and flexible as practical. On the surface, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them being elegant. Power, flexibility and elegance need not be mutual exclusive in software.

Freeze is far more than a 'me too' feature. Those of us using Pro Tools in conjunction with other audio programs are fully aware of this.

Cheers,
Hassan