Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Another iLok victim. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393915)

TimothyJohn 09-23-2017 08:45 AM

Another iLok victim.

iLok stays in usb2 port of my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I'm in the middle of new rehearsals for Beauty and the Beast Jr. at school, and numerous jazz fusion projects on my time. In the middle of a session, 1AM, iLok 2 starts flashing, Pro Tools wigs out, and I can't work. Case # assigned, support hours are M-F. This totally and completely sucks. So far, I'm out $70 plus the cost of an additional $30 for ZDT For my iLok 3, which I'll need if and when temporary licenses come.
I NEVER had a good feeling about iLok. Let's say temporary licenses come Monday. I have rehearsals with these talented children on Tuesday. I have no time to play computer tech on Monday or Tues.

What is even more disconcerting, is that the behavior of the iLok is so well known, they have numerous step by steps. Known issues. never communicated to me. So folks, here you go:

"iLok 2 was working perfectly. "Suddenly,without warning, mid session, blue light goes out. Pro Tools shuts down. Reinsert iLok 2, blue light on sometimes. Sometimes blue light flashes. Sometimes not on at all. Even when blue light is on, and iLok 2 shows up in iLok License Manager, Pro Tools won't open. Message received that iLok 2 is not receiving USB power, but USB ports checked and functioning properly."

Then:

"Upon further investigation, iLok is broken. Did all the trouble shooting as described. Usb 2 ports function normally. I need to use Pro Tools ASAP. I am running rehearsals at school, and use Pro Tools extensively to rehearse soloists and ensembles. Thank you so much for your prompt attention!!"

So, as an iLok user, you can expect:
"Suddenly, without warning, mid session, blue light goes out."

And they know about it!!!

deanrichard 09-23-2017 09:41 AM

Re: Another iLok victim.

It's an electronic circuit, and like any other, it can fail. And when it does, you're in bad shape, as you are well aware. I've never liked iLok either because it adds one more point of failure to our systems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyJohn (Post 2450799)
iLok stays in usb2 port of my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I'm in the middle of new rehearsals for Beauty and the Beast Jr. at school, and numerous jazz fusion projects on my time. In the middle of a session, 1AM, iLok 2 starts flashing, Pro Tools wigs out, and I can't work. Case # assigned, support hours are M-F. This totally and completely sucks. So far, I'm out $70 plus the cost of an additional $30 for ZDT For my iLok 3, which I'll need if and when temporary licenses come.
I NEVER had a good feeling about iLok. Let's say temporary licenses come Monday. I have rehearsals with these talented children on Tuesday. I have no time to play computer tech on Monday or Tues.

What is even more disconcerting, is that the behavior of the iLok is so well known, they have numerous step by steps. Known issues. never communicated to me. So folks, here you go:

"iLok 2 was working perfectly. "Suddenly,without warning, mid session, blue light goes out. Pro Tools shuts down. Reinsert iLok 2, blue light on sometimes. Sometimes blue light flashes. Sometimes not on at all. Even when blue light is on, and iLok 2 shows up in iLok License Manager, Pro Tools won't open. Message received that iLok 2 is not receiving USB power, but USB ports checked and functioning properly."

Then:

"Upon further investigation, iLok is broken. Did all the trouble shooting as described. Usb 2 ports function normally. I need to use Pro Tools ASAP. I am running rehearsals at school, and use Pro Tools extensively to rehearse soloists and ensembles. Thank you so much for your prompt attention!!"

So, as an iLok user, you can expect:
"Suddenly, without warning, mid session, blue light goes out."

And they know about it!!!

Darryl Ramm 09-23-2017 10:07 AM

Did you create an online RMA for the iLok? I believe that should cause ZDT licenses to be deposited to your account. Why do you need to talk to iLok support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Breen 09-23-2017 11:03 AM

Yeah, in my case, I had new licenses within 20 minutes of filing an RMA for lost or damaged iLok. It would be nice if you could make contact with a person there, but I have to say, the automated system seems to work well.

metalmixer 09-23-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanrichard (Post 2450803)
I've never liked iLok either because it adds one more point of failure to our systems.

So I guess you've never spent hours reauthorizing a failed hard drive or upgrading a system with multiple plugins

Southsidemusic 09-23-2017 11:48 AM

Iloks fail, no mystery there ...

One of Our ilok2 keys had this exact thing happen where it kept flashing and working off and on until it died and we had temp licenses within 10min in the middle of the night. Had to get a new ilok2 though and in the morning we bough another and we were up and running in that room withing 10-15 mins of sync'ing the new ilok.

Thats what 24/7 Zero Downtime (ZDT) means. Doesn't matter when an ilok craps out, You pay for it if ilok decides to screw up and die.

TimothyJohn 09-23-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2450809)
Did you create an online RMA for the iLok? I believe that should cause ZDT licenses to be deposited to your account. Why do you need to talk to iLok support?

Got a case #. That's it.

Darryl Ramm 09-23-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyJohn (Post 2450831)
Got a case #. That's it.

But what *exactly* did you do? Did you start the RMA process? Not a general support case.

albee1952 09-23-2017 12:48 PM

For future reference, portable users(laptop users) should always(as in ALWAYS) connect iLoks with the little shorty USB cable(aka "dongle buddy") as its really easy to nudge/bump the iLok and break it(seen it all too often). Hope you get it sorted:o

uptheoctave 09-23-2017 01:19 PM

I leave mine plugged into my NAS at the studio using some software called Virtual Here when I am doing location recording.
Provided I have an internet connect I am fine.