Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Protools 12 and ASIO4ALL playback engine issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412366)

Trace305 10-23-2020 03:25 PM

Protools 12 and ASIO4ALL playback engine issue

Hello,

I finally upgraded to Protools 12 on my Surface Pro 6. At first the program had presented a message saying it couldn't find my hardware (a Fast Track Pro) and wouldn't open, so I downloaded a program called ASIO4ALL. After downloading and installing ASIO4ALL, I was able to open the program, but I encountered various problems. Many of those problems were related to plugins not being installed from previous files, but I also had an occasional issue of static white noise blasting over the music. I tried solving it by adjusting playback engine settings and I/O settings but instead of removing the static, I somehow messed up the audio and now I can't get any sound from it. Short of reinstalling everything, what can I do to reverse this?

Thanks in advance!

cwsand 10-23-2020 06:17 PM

Re: Protools 12 and ASIO4ALL playback engine issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trace305 (Post 2580959)
Hello,

I finally upgraded to Protools 12 on my Surface Pro 6. At first the program had presented a message saying it couldn't find my hardware (a Fast Track Pro) and wouldn't open, so I downloaded a program called ASIO4ALL. After downloading and installing ASIO4ALL, I was able to open the program, but I encountered various problems. Many of those problems were related to plugins not being installed from previous files, but I also had an occasional issue of static white noise blasting over the music. I tried solving it by adjusting playback engine settings and I/O settings but instead of removing the static, I somehow messed up the audio and now I can't get any sound from it. Short of reinstalling everything, what can I do to reverse this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, You should really try to get the Fast Track Pro recognized by Pro Tools. Try uninstalling (and deleting) the drivers, then reinstalling them. Reseat and/or reboot the computer.

Other than that, make sure to go through everything here: Help Us Help You

Trace305 10-25-2020 09:58 PM

Hey, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ASIO4ALL to no avail. I still get no sound at all. I'm sure it's just a setting, because I had changed something because static was playing over the audio when I played it. I'm just not sure if it was the playback engine or the I/O settings or what have you...

Darryl Ramm 10-25-2020 10:19 PM

The Fast Track Pro does not have drivers for, and is not supported on Windows 10.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ck-Pro-Drivers

I would buy another interface before suffering though ASIO4ALL, e.g. static issues may very well be ASIO4ALL related.

JoelG 10-26-2020 05:18 AM

ASIO4All requires that your audio device is working in the first place. It is a solution for audio devices that do not come with ASIO drivers (The FTP does have it's own ASIO driver).

As Daryl mentioned, there aren't Windows 10 drivers for the FTP, however I've had no issues using Windows 8 drivers on Windows 10.

Beyond replacing the FTP, try downloading the last Windows driver and forget ASIO4All.

Joel

Trace305 10-26-2020 09:22 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try all this.

One thing I wanted to clear up though was that the performance of ASIO4ALL was simply erratic as opposed to non-existent. I had pulled up a file initally and things worked fine. I pulled it up again a day or so later and had the static over music issue that I mentioned earlier. At around that same time, I had pulled up an internet audio page (youtube or something) and was getting the same effect: static blasting over the music. I tried pulling out my headphone jack and putting it back in and then it went back to normal. Sadly, I did not do this with ProTools and instead fiddled around in Playback Engine and I/O settings trying to trigger a change.

I understand about the Fast Track Pro and I've had some issues with it that were pretty similar: When I was trying to video myself using it to record the audio, I got static similar to this. I would usually fix that by unplugging it and plugging it back in and that would clear it up. For the last two years I've been using the Fast Track Pro on another Windows 10 machine, but that was with Pro Tools 8 (which was ok, but it wasn't all that stable and I couldn't install new plugins, ect.)

Long story short, I'm not convinced that ASIO4ALL is the problem because at least I would get static and audio. I believe that I can solve THAT issue with hardware. My problem is I can't get ANY audio anymore in Protools and that wasn't the case when I started out. I can try and post pictures of my I/O and Playback Engine settings and maybe y'all can spot something? Thanks again!

Trace305 10-26-2020 11:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
These are some screen shots I took...does everything look ok?

cwsand 10-26-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trace305 (Post 2581144)
Thanks guys, I'll try all this.

One thing I wanted to clear up though was that the performance of ASIO4ALL was simply erratic as opposed to non-existent. I had pulled up a file initally and things worked fine. I pulled it up again a day or so later and had the static over music issue that I mentioned earlier. At around that same time, I had pulled up an internet audio page (youtube or something) and was getting the same effect: static blasting over the music. I tried pulling out my headphone jack and putting it back in and then it went back to normal. Sadly, I did not do this with ProTools and instead fiddled around in Playback Engine and I/O settings trying to trigger a change.

I understand about the Fast Track Pro and I've had some issues with it that were pretty similar: When I was trying to video myself using it to record the audio, I got static similar to this. I would usually fix that by unplugging it and plugging it back in and that would clear it up. For the last two years I've been using the Fast Track Pro on another Windows 10 machine, but that was with Pro Tools 8 (which was ok, but it wasn't all that stable and I couldn't install new plugins, ect.)

Long story short, I'm not convinced that ASIO4ALL is the problem because at least I would get static and audio. I believe that I can solve THAT issue with hardware. My problem is I can't get ANY audio anymore in Protools and that wasn't the case when I started out. I can try and post pictures of my I/O and Playback Engine settings and maybe y'all can spot something? Thanks again!

Since, as others have indicated, FTP isn't supported in Windows 10, and ASIO4ALL is not a good permanent solution (I've had varying levels of success with it over the years), you're fighting a losing battle. Best bet is to get a supported interface IMHO.

Darryl Ramm 10-26-2020 01:34 PM

^^^ exactly.

You could spend forever trying to get ASIO4ALL to work, and for what, some scratchy noisy not really working thing... for what reason? And you are running on a Surface Pro 6 which is probably not a good choice for a Pro Tools computer... including because very few other users will be using it, so there is just very little experience with how Pro Tools runs on the device, or how well or not ASIO4ALL, or WASAPI/Windows Audio works with the internal audio devices. Since you have Pro Tools 12 WASAPI/Windows Audio may be an option... but who knows if that works with this tablet?

Trace305 10-26-2020 02:54 PM

You could spend forever trying to get ASIO4ALL to work, and for what, some scratchy noisy not really working thing... for what reason? And you are running on a Surface Pro 6 which is probably not a good choice for a Pro Tools computer... including because very few other users will be using it, so there is just very little experience with how Pro Tools runs on the device, or how well or not ASIO4ALL, or WASAPI/Windows Audio works with the internal audio devices. Since you have Pro Tools 12 WASAPI/Windows Audio may be an option... but who knows if that works with this tablet?I HAD ASIO4ALL working.

When I downloaded Pro Tools 12, I could not open it because it could not find the hardware. Once I downloaded ASIO4ALL I had no problem opening it and playing it. The first time, it worked perfectly, the second time I got static over the music, but I still GOT SOMETHING. My issue is that in trying to fix the static through pro tools, I managed to change my settings so now I don't even get static, just silence. I know that I changed something, but I need to know what it is I did and how to change it back.