Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for Subscriptions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405682)

Simon2065 07-19-2019 04:21 AM

Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for Subscriptions

Hi

Avid just announced that Heat and Complete Plugin Bundle will be free for all subscribers - Ultimate or Vanilla.

I have Ultimate perpetual and feel a bit peeved that Avid are hanging carrots to encourage users to go for subscription and possibly leaving their loyal customers out in the cold. Especially if this trend continues to further extras. Maybe a fairer solution would be to give Perpetual users with current support plan the same as subscribers, with extras to drop off if plan expires.

mandal 07-19-2019 04:51 AM

Re: Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for all subscribers

Totally agree!!

Stephen Bond 07-19-2019 05:12 AM

Good news.

A permanent license would be a real sweetner. I should ask bigger next time :D

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=432

Anyhow, look forward to bringing the Heat!

Stephen

JCBigler 07-19-2019 08:18 AM

Well, since they already include the Complete Plugin Bundle with all Ultimate perpetual licenses anyway, all you're really missing out on is Heat.

dwaynedelario 07-19-2019 09:14 AM

Anyone have a link to this announcement? From what I gather here, we as Ultimate perpetual users won't get this upgrade even if we have a current support plan that costs $400 a year? Nice.

dez811 07-19-2019 09:39 AM

where is this announcement? I just installed 2019.6 but I don't see heat or the plugins, but I did read that heat is now supported on vanilla pro tools

mandal 07-19-2019 10:03 AM

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...-no-extra-cost

gnjlee 07-19-2019 10:06 AM

Yes... use the included Avid plugins. What a great deal. This costs AVID literally nothing in physical dollars at this point to give you access to their old plugins, and to try to tempt users into giving up their perpetual licenses for these plugins that have arguably better counterparts available in the marketplace.

Nice try AVID. Not giving up my perpetual license.

leftalive 07-19-2019 10:21 AM

Avid has all the incentive in the world to shepherd us all to the new subscription model as quickly as possible, and things like this are one of the few ways they have to do it.
I hate to say it - but we'd all do well to just make whatever peace we can with the idea, because it's just going to keep happening.

They're only going to continue offering perpetual licenses for however long they feel they need to. The minute they think they can afford to do away with them - they will.

The whole 'vote with your wallet' thing has maybe never been more apt. If you're not cool with this 'industry wide' shift toward sub only licensing, then the best way to voice that is by not buying into it.

There's no chance I give up my perpetual PT license anytime soon, but I'll say this - as someone who works in film, sound design, and audio - if they decide to go full Adobe and offer me Media Composer/Pro Tools/Sibelius/all the plugins for, say, $100 a month... I'd probably have to think veeeery seriously about drinking the Kool-Aid there.

amagras 07-19-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnjlee (Post 2533176)
Nice try AVID.

my first thought

arche3 07-19-2019 01:02 PM

No need to get lured by heat. It's old and there is much better now. I sold one. And gave one away several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

xrekcor 07-19-2019 03:18 PM

Maybe why they are throwing it out there for free..... so what did you end up using that is better if you don’t mind m asking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2533198)
No need to get lured by heat. It's old and there is much better now. I sold one. And gave one away several years ago.

I have been of interest in it since it has come available but at AUS$700 i am looking at alternatives

arche3 07-19-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533215)
Maybe why they are throwing it out there for free..... so what did you end up using that is better if you don’t mind m asking.

I have been of interest in it since it has come available but at AUS$700 i am looking at alternatives

Slate vtm and vmr.

xrekcor 07-19-2019 04:41 PM

Thanks I’ll check them out

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2533220)
Slate vtm and vmr.

unkJE 07-19-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533215)
...I have been of interest in it since it has come available but at AUS$700 i am looking at alternatives

Hi Rob

Hang on to your horses! I saw this:

What About Pro Tools Perpetual License Holders And HEAT
There is good news for you too especially if you were interested in HEAT when Avid released Pro Tools 2019.6 but felt it was too expensive at $495. The perpetual license version of HEAT will be available as a promotion at the lower price of $199.”

(I added the Colour just to shout it!)

Be great if Avid uncoupled Heat (it previously had to be on the same iLok as the PT 12+ HD license) - for those who buy the Perpetual Heat license and have multiple versions of Pro Tools on different iLoks

xrekcor 07-19-2019 06:44 PM

That sounds a whole lot better..... will $199.00 buy it outright or is there a yearly sub on top? Can’t quite work that out.... but will keep reading

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2533225)
Hi Rob

Hang on to your horses! I saw this:

There is good news for you too especially if you were interested in HEAT when Avid released Pro Tools 2019.6 but felt it was too expensive at $495. The perpetual license version of HEAT will be available as a promotion at the lower price of $199.”

(I added the Colour just to shout it!)

Be great if Avid uncoupled Heat (it previously had to be on the same iLok as the PT 12+ HD license) - for those who buy the Perpetual Heat license and have multiple versions of Pro Tools on different iLoks

xrekcor 07-19-2019 06:53 PM

Ok yup I see it is a “one off cost of $199.00” this is meant to be happening over the next 2-3 weeks which is perfect for me... Thanks for sharing

JCBigler 07-19-2019 07:30 PM

I'm going to have to start saving up for Sequoia. :o

TrackerLe 07-19-2019 07:33 PM

I hate subscription models...

And i will keep my F****** perpetual licence as long, as i can...

Avid you are going the wrong way... You are not Adobe...sry

BScout 07-19-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

???
Mine isn't. There's no such requirement.

Southsidemusic 07-19-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533227)
Ok yup I see it is a “one off cost of $199.00” this is meant to be happening over the next 2-3 weeks which is perfect for me... Thanks for sharing

Yeah that is for a perpetual license and istead of $499 which is like $699 AUD you get that same perp licende of HEAT for $199 which as far as I seen never been discounted so for that price with the great integration in PT it is quite a nice option :-)

xrekcor 07-19-2019 09:05 PM

Hey Chris,

yup just waiting for this to come out in this price structure and I’m there....watched a couple of YouTube’s of Dave Hill talking and demonstrating HEAT, sounds sweet as bro and at that price makes it competitive with the alternative arche3 mentioned earlier Slate’s vtm and vmr. Btw how’s your new toy going? re: racing.... Hope ya had a win!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2533235)
Yeah that is for a perpetual license and istead of $499 which is like $699 AUD you get that same perp licende of HEAT for $199 which as far as I seen never been discounted so for that price with the great integration in PT it is quite a nice option :-)

And further to that and the looks to be huge savings of HEAT in the near future I have reallocated some those funds and brought them forward to this afternoons beer fund...... :) :)

unkJE 07-19-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2533234)
???
Mine isn't. There's no such requirement.

Thanks for that – even if I’m somewhat puzzled! Avid states:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T.../Where-is-HEAT
“HEAT is activated when the HEAT iLok license is present on the same iLok as the Pro Tools HD license bundle.”

When I plug in 2 iLoks (one has Heat + PT 12.4 HD, the other has PT 2019.6 Vanilla) I can see HEAT in the HD version, but not in 2019.6.
That’s why I assumed HEAT is still “coupled”. I’ll check it out further.

xrekcor 07-19-2019 09:18 PM

I’m with you brother I won’t be giving it up either..... maybe Avid are taking the broom through the place and giving handouts in prep for setting us perp’s free :eek: as in no longer offering updates and support for perp lic’s maybe a free upgrade to ultimate..... nudge nudge ;) ;) Avid.... I have 4 years to watch this play out before I need to cough up again I think things direction-wise will have settled by then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrackerLe (Post 2533231)
I hate subscription models...

And i will keep my F****** perpetual licence as long, as i can...

Avid you are going the wrong way... You are not Adobe...sry

BScout 07-19-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2533237)
Thanks for that – even if I’m somewhat puzzled! Avid states:
“HEAT is activated when the HEAT iLok license is present on the same iLok as the Pro Tools HD license bundle.”

When I plug in 2 iLoks (one has Heat + PT 12.4 HD, the other has PT 2019.6 Vanilla) I can see HEAT in the HD version, but not in 2019.6.
That’s why I assumed HEAT is still “coupled”. I’ll check it out further.

That probably has to do with Vanilla 2019.6 not primed for Heat yet.
HD doesn't have that issue.

unkJE 07-19-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2533239)
That probably has to do with Vanilla 2019.6 not primed for Heat yet.....

Avid states:

Starting in version 11.0, Pro Tools includes HEAT as a System Plug-in (within the Pro Tools Application package) and does not require separate installation.

https://www.avid.com/plugins/heat
HEAT is compatible with Pro Tools and Pro Tools | Ultimate.

Thanks for your info - I'm going to check this out more, tomorrow.

LightWing 07-20-2019 07:55 AM

Don't eat the crumbs Avid is tossing out to get people over to Subscriptions...if for no other reason than they are from "day old bread". :)

Fishbone 07-20-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533226)
That sounds a whole lot better..... will $199.00 buy it outright or is there a yearly sub on top? Can’t quite work that out.... but will keep reading

I would rather spend US$ 29 in Waves NLS. You won't get system integration, but it gives you 3 flavours of awesome console warmth(with emulation of all the non linearities of 32 channels and busses) for a fraction of the price and without that subscribe bull. ;)

SoundEng1 07-20-2019 04:14 PM

So what's the reward for hard-working studios that paid full price for Heat?

JCBigler 07-20-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundEng1 (Post 2533290)
So what's the reward for hard-working studios that paid full price for Heat?

The blessing of being able to turn out many more great mixes for years before the discounted Heat on all Protools systems was available.

But now you better start working even harder cause now everyone has access to it and can turn out just as many great mixes in their mom’s basement between their part time job at the local coffee house and their part time classes at the local community college. :cool:

xrekcor 07-20-2019 05:38 PM

Already have it, getting HEAT in the offer that is being presented shortly isn’t forcing perp lic holders onto subscription.... it’s a one off payment that will give HEAT along with your current perpetual lic.... there is also a seperate subscription ver for it by the looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbone (Post 2533289)
I would rather spend US$ 29 in Waves NLS. You won't get system integration, but it gives you 3 flavours of awesome console warmth(with emulation of all the non linearities of 32 channels and busses) for a fraction of the price and without that subscribe bull. ;)

xrekcor 07-20-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2533292)
The blessing of being able to turn out many more great mixes for years before the discounted Heat on all Protools systems was available.

But now you better start working even harder cause now everyone has access to it and can turn out just as many great mixes in their mom’s basement between their part time job at the local coffee house and their part time classes at the local community college. :cool:

Yeah!!! And to add to that, big thanks for beta testing it for us :D

unkJE 07-20-2019 05:47 PM

I don’t want Subscriptions, but it’s great to read about a $199 Perpetual licence for HEAT!

When HEAT only ran on HD, the HEAT license had to be on the same iLok as the HD license.

It appears this restriction has not been lifted for 2019.6 “Vanilla” – that is, the HEAT license must be on the same iLok as the 2019.6 “Vanilla” license. (That is, I can’t make it work with HEAT on one iLok and 2019.6 “Vanilla” on another iLok).

Less hassle if there were no restrictions, so, I certainly hope I’m wrong about this!

amagras 07-20-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2533292)

I wish [emoji3]

DonaldM 07-22-2019 08:05 PM

I'm confused about Heat. I have the annual subscription plan and have had since 2017 or whenever they first went to it. If I understand things correctly, Heat was supposed to be available when I updated to 2019.6, right? Well, I did that, but no Heat. Its nowhere to be seen on PT nor on my iLok as an available license. Did I misread something? Is it yet to come? What's the deal? I wish Avid would make stuff like this simpler to understand instead of having to jump through all kinds of hoops to figure out how you obtain something!

Sardi 07-22-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2533493)
I'm confused about Heat. I have the annual subscription plan and have had since 2017 or whenever they first went to it. If I understand things correctly, Heat was supposed to be available when I updated to 2019.6, right? Well, I did that, but no Heat. Its nowhere to be seen on PT nor on my iLok as an available license. Did I misread something? Is it yet to come? What's the deal? I wish Avid would make stuff like this simpler to understand instead of having to jump through all kinds of hoops to figure out how you obtain something!

If you rent PT, you’ll receive it shortly.

If you have a perpetual license that you pay a yearly renewal on, you won’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unkJE 07-22-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2533496)

If you have a perpetual license that you pay a yearly renewal on, you won’t get it.

Another option (pending): buy a Perpetual HEAT license for US $199

The perpetual license version of HEAT will be available as a promotion at the lower price of $199.”

DonaldM 07-23-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2533496)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So let me see if I have this straight. I started with purchasing PT back with 7.0 several years back. I subsequently paid for all the upgrades through 12.0. Then I switched to the annual renewal plan for $99 per year (up again this Oct). I also have the annual subscription for Avid plugin Bundle for either $49 a year or $99 (can't remember which it is). So, all in all, I've probably got over $1,000 already invested in PT over the years. So now if I want to add Heat, because I have a perpetual license with the renewal plan, I have to pay an additional $199 to get Heat, while those who just jumped in with a subscription plan for $299, I would get heat AND the bundle at no additional cost?

Excuse my ignorance here, I only worked in business and finance for 20+years, but shouldn't those who have already invested the most get the best deal...as in Heat and the bundle at no additional cost, and the newer subscribers can get it for the $199? Asking for a friend!

DonaldM 07-23-2019 08:02 AM

And question number 2. Since the new deal includes both Heat AND the plugin bundle, will I still have to pay the annual cost of the bundle, or will that be free to me with the annual renewal plan I have for $99? That isn't clear either. Once again, Avid never fails to confuse!:confused::confused:

dwaynedelario 07-23-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2533536)
And question number 2. Since the new deal includes both Heat AND the plugin bundle, will I still have to pay the annual cost of the bundle, or will that be free to me with the annual renewal plan I have for $99? That isn't clear either. Once again, Avid never fails to confuse!:confused::confused:

These comments are spot on. I’m in film. I haven’t spent a ton of money on pro tools compared to some of my colleagues, and I imagine I have spent well over $40k on Digidesign/Avid hardware and software over the years. They already know that professionals are locked in and have no choice. No sense in rewarding us. :confused: