Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Waves Abbey Road Plates question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=379660)

musicman691 04-05-2016 05:58 AM

Waves Abbey Road Plates question

I know there's a thread here from when AR Plates was released that talked about the cpu issues and that it was a bit of a hog on resources. I wonder if that has been fixed or what? I ask because Audio Deluxe still has the plugin at $99 (when not logged in) from when it was introduced and I'd like to not miss this IF the cpu usage has been taken care of. I love the sound of it though.

What I have to wonder about is the somewhat longish video Waves has of the plugin has multiple instances of it (I counted at least 8 if not more) and it seemed to run just fine. No idea what buffer size they're running and what specific PT version they're using and of course what are the specs on said machine. If I get to 6 instances on the system in my profile PT11 with a 30 track session says no mas and locks up solid. Heck even a single instance bounces between 25 to 40% usage.

guitardom 04-05-2016 07:28 AM

Re: Waves Abbey Road Plates question

I know this may not help much, but they were probably making the video with the plugin running in their DSP system

elicious 04-05-2016 07:31 AM

well, on mar 23 they improved the cpu and memory hit for ARP on their sound grid servers,
so that means they are working on it.

plus in the previous update
there was an update to h reverb,
for efficiency on macs,
and since they might share FIR engine technology,
that bodes well for an update coming.

iirc, jack, you and i have the same computer,
and mine hits at about 31% (spike) for an instance,
so i get a sound i like, then freeze it…
e

musicman691 04-05-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 2347753)
I know this may not help much, but they were probably making the video with the plugin running in their DSP system

Actually that would explain a lot; the person doing the video didn't mention if they were running SoundGrid or native.
Quote:

Originally Posted by elicious (Post 2347758)
well, on mar 23 they improved the cpu and memory hit for ARP on their sound grid servers,
so that means they are working on it.

plus in the previous update
there was an update to h reverb,
for efficiency on macs,
and since they might share FIR engine technology,
that bodes well for an update coming.

iirc, jack, you and i have the same computer,
and mine hits at about 31% (spike) for an instance,
so i get a sound i like, then freeze it…
e

No changes to my system here so we're equivalent there.

From what you say it looks good that Waves is on top of this. I would think that like you say they're also working on the native version. Like I said I love the sound; I'm a sucker for a good plate on drums and now with ARP piano as well.

Table Syrup Records 04-06-2016 08:39 PM

AR Plates is amazing. Best sounding reverb plug I've heard since H-Reverb.... and quite a long time before that, that any verbs really stood out to me... waves has definitely been killing it with some of these new plugs.

I'm betting new algorithms... new modeling tech.... etc.....

Of course some of this will require more CPU than we are used to, but I think the trade off is well worth it for the quality. Considering that, in just a couple/few years time, these will not be considered 'intensive' anymore... so, I prefer that they continue to be leading edge / innovative / forward thinking.

And of course, they will continue working on efficiency, as evidenced by the improvements in CPU usage with H-Reverb, and the SoundGrid hit on SG Servers.

Interestingly.... I haven't seen any overly ridiculous hits with ARP on our 4,1's and 5,1's. Higher usage than some other plugs, but, for example, not as bad as AltiVerb

simon.a.billington 04-07-2016 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records (Post 2348272)
AR Plates is amazing. Best sounding reverb plug I've heard since H-Reverb.... and quite a long time before that, that any verbs really stood out to me... waves has definitely been killing it with some of these new plugs.

Of course some of this will require more CPU than we are used to, but I think the trade off is well worth it for the quality. Considering that, in just a couple/few years time, these will not be considered 'intensive' anymore... so, I prefer that they continue to be leading edge / innovative / forward thinking.

And of course, they will continue working on efficiency, as evidenced by the improvements in CPU usage with H-Reverb, and the SoundGrid hit on SG Servers.

Interestingly.... I haven't seen any overly ridiculous hits with ARP on our 4,1's and 5,1's. Higher usage than some other plugs, but, for example, not as bad as AltiVerb

Table is right. I wouldn't be expecting any miracles in terms of a huge drop in CPU consumption. They have designed what seems to be a new. more intensive algorithm, but man, the quality of it alone makes this plugin worth it.

It's one of a kind, you'd be very hard pressed to try and find something close or even to emulate it yourself, nit that you would have to of course.

I think what we are seeing with plugins like this and H-Reverb is the next stage in plugin evolution. It wont be long before others are upping the ante this way too. I bet there is already a few new CPU intensive products at Musikmesse.

Sign of the times.

musicman691 04-07-2016 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records (Post 2348272)

As I may have mentioned before I'm a huge fan of plate reverbs on drums and piano and that's why I'm interested in ARP. Had the demo and loved the sound but was not nuts about the cpu usage. But after hearing what's been mentioned here about Waves working on the plugin for at least the SG version I decided to buy it (I'm an idiot for not buying it earlier when the save15 code still worked at Audio Deluxe - it doesn't anymore).

Is it my favorite reverb? For certain things - yes. But not on everything (yet). I have two others that remain in heavy rotation - Reverberate 2 (for ir work now with the Fusion ir's) and UltraReverb. Do I think one is the best sounding verb over others? Not really.

General question: is anybody running multiple instances of ARP and how is that working out? I don't like to 'bake-in' a reverb sound until the mix is done and I don't have PT12.

guitardom 04-07-2016 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2348320)
As I may have mentioned before I'm a huge fan of plate reverbs on drums and piano and that's why I'm interested in ARP. Had the demo and loved the sound but was not nuts about the cpu usage. But after hearing what's been mentioned here about Waves working on the plugin for at least the SG version I decided to buy it (I'm an idiot for not buying it earlier when the save15 code still worked at Audio Deluxe - it doesn't anymore).

Is it my favorite reverb? For certain things - yes. But not on everything (yet). I have two others that remain in heavy rotation - Reverberate 2 (for ir work now with the Fusion ir's) and UltraReverb. Do I think one is the best sounding verb over others? Not really.

General question: is anybody running multiple instances of ARP and how is that working out? I don't like to 'bake-in' a reverb sound until the mix is done and I don't have PT12.

Reverberate 2 with the Fusion IR's is spectacular and way overlooked. I am still floored with it.

Bob Olhsson 04-07-2016 01:06 PM

To my mind the most obvious possibility for significantly improving plug-ins is complexity that wasn't practical using older personal computers. A plug-in isn't necessarily "broken" because it isn't efficient.

albee1952 04-07-2016 03:44 PM

I've been using the abbey road plates for weeks and never even notices a CPU hit:o