Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D-Command Monitor Section Quality (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387050)

Barry Johns 12-08-2016 09:43 AM

D-Command Monitor Section Quality

I've been using a pro control up to this point, and as we all know the monitor section of those is not very good. So I currently am using external device to control my monitor signals from my studio. I've just purchased at the d-command, and I'm curious what you guys think about the quality of the monitor section along with the XMon?

My D-Command did not come with an X-Mon so I'm at a crossroads to buy an xmon or not?

arche3 12-08-2016 02:14 PM

Re: D-Command Monitor Section Quality

On the d control I really like the way xmon integrates the headphone feeds and talk back. I use the xmon for that. And I use a dangerous monitor st for monitor switching and subwoofer management. The auto talk back and cue routing using xmon is worth it with icons.
The specs on the xmon is good so I'm sure it is good for main monitoring as well. The integration with icon is the strength.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Drew Mazurek 12-08-2016 02:25 PM

audio snobs and PT/Avid haters have knocked the X-Mon since it came out for whatever that's worth.

I've used mine for 10 years and have made countless records with it and never had an issue with its quality.

arche3 12-08-2016 02:38 PM

Also if you do buy an xmon without the 15 pin controller cable you can make one. Just need to snip a few pins on a dsub 15 cable to make it work with icons. I lost my controller cable and found pin outs online. Avid at the time wanted like 150 bucks for a 7 dollar cable... lol.

Barry Johns 12-08-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2399952)
audio snobs and PT/Avid haters have knocked the X-Mon since it came out for whatever that's worth.

I've used mine for 10 years and have made countless records with it and never had an issue with its quality.

Coming from you that says a lot. Looks like I'm in the market for an Xmon!

YYR123 12-08-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2399952)
audio snobs and PT/Avid haters have knocked the X-Mon since it came out for whatever that's worth..

Yep, those are the comments I've heard. However It's hard to deny its integration is huge with icon.

I'm trying to get my head around the xmon connections that's a whole another matter

Stig Eliassen 12-09-2016 02:00 AM

I can only agree with what's said already. Sounds and works great.

I truly HATE the talkback mic on the D-Command, but that's easy to work around.

Watagushu2013 12-09-2016 06:36 AM

Also the xmon protocol can work with other manufactures for monitoring and control. Trinnov has an excellent speaker calibration system that integrates with your d-command or D control. How about that?
Vintage king sells it.

jacko 12-09-2016 08:56 AM

I had Crane Song Avocet and more recently Dangerous Monitor ST before I switched to D-Command and X-Mon. I can't hear any difference. It's very quiet, no distortion, full frequency bandwidth, reliable, flexible. It's great.

arche3 12-11-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko (Post 2400104)
I had Crane Song Avocet and more recently Dangerous Monitor ST before I switched to D-Command and X-Mon. I can't hear any difference. It's very quiet, no distortion, full frequency bandwidth, reliable, flexible. It's great.

My main issue with xmon is there is no subwoofer management. So I am using dangerous monitor st. But still use xmon for cues and talkback