Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   PC to MAC Differences in PTLE? (Ex /Current Users) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=103793)

Iceberg-Slim 04-20-2004 10:13 PM

PC to MAC Differences in PTLE? (Ex /Current Users)

Was thinking of making the jump,(looking at the new powerbooks) so far I have learned that oms patchnames are mac only , sucks considering I have a bunch of sound modules

Anything else that is an advantage in the Mac version rather than the PC?

Iceberg-Slim 04-25-2004 04:10 PM

Re: PC to MAC Differences in PTLE? (Ex /Current Users)

bump

Chris Cavell 04-25-2004 04:38 PM

You nailed it, patch names is the biggest "benefit" to macs IMO. In LE, mac vs. pc for all other things is pretty much user preference...I use both mac and pc and have to say that I prefer my PC LE rig to my Mac LE rig...but it really is just personal preference and little more. One other advantage (albeit slightly less every day) is that there currently exist more mac compatible plugins...(that's if you don't count vst wrapped plugs.) The primary advantage to PC for LE is $$$...both platforms are equally capable of providing you with enough power for mixing slightly complex sessions.

Chris Shaeffer 04-25-2004 06:25 PM

Be very careful when buying a PC for Pro Tools. Make sure it meets all the compatibility reqs. A major advantage that Macs have is that with fewer variables its more stable. On the right PC, PTLE is stable as it gets, but the wrong PC can cause strange problems with no way to fix it.

I also wonder if updated versions of PT will run on the same PC hardware. Again, with fewer Mac models to develop and test for (and a larger share of Mac users), the advantage here goes to Macs. That may certainly change, but I think its still true at the moment.

That said, I use both. If the PC works, then it works and there really aren't that many functional differences between Pro Tools on PC and Mac. I don't use the MIDI features that much so maybe I just notice it missing on the PC, though. If I did get that set up on the Mac then I'd probably miss it on the PC.

Take care,
Chris

antiphase 04-26-2004 01:07 AM

little things are already available for mac LE users.........we can import mp3, and have the DV out firewire port option, and probably a few other options I'll find out one day. PC users are S.O.L.

Ultraslide 04-26-2004 05:47 AM

Re: PC to MAC Differences in PTLE? (Ex /Current Us

CoreAudio support on the Mac is much better than the Wave driver for PC as far as the Digi hardware is concerned. Other then that, I dont see much difference in my rigs. I really dont do much with midi, and I try to keep my plugins the same on both machines.

the 'slide