Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Codec error on video import (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340394)

Syrcular 06-22-2013 05:23 PM

Codec error on video import

Hey all,

Just downloaded Pro Tools 11 on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion and trying to import video into Pro Tools, and I can't seem to get it working. I cross checked to make sure I was getting the right video file specs and codecs, but nothing seems to allow me to import video into Pro Tools 11. I get an error that says this: "Unable to link to file "<file name>" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported". This happens no matter if I use DNxHD, H.264, XDCAM or Pro Res 422 files all wrapped in a Quicktime file.

What am I missing? I believe I have all the playback engine settings set correctly. Please advise. Thanks!

Southsidemusic 06-22-2013 05:28 PM

Re: Codec error on video import

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrcular (Post 2051601)
Hey all,

Just downloaded Pro Tools 11 on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion and trying to import video into Pro Tools, and I can't seem to get it working. I cross checked to make sure I was getting the right video file specs and codecs, but nothing seems to allow me to import video into Pro Tools 11. I get an error that says this: "Unable to link to file "<file name>" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported". This happens no matter if I use DNxHD, H.264, XDCAM or Pro Res 422 files all wrapped in a Quicktime file.

What am I missing? I believe I have all the playback engine settings set correctly. Please advise. Thanks!

Stupid question but did you check the "install video engine" when installing PT11? I am just asking as we did miss that the first time around :o

Best Wishes
Chris

Chief Technician 06-22-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2051607)
Stupid question but did you check the "install video engine" when installing PT11?

Setup-->Playback Engine-->Video Engine enabled?

Southsidemusic 06-22-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Technician (Post 2051626)
Setup-->Playback Engine-->Video Engine enabled?

Thank you for that it did it for us :-)

Awesome support as usual Avid techs! Big Thumbs Up!

Best Regards
Chris

JMDNYC 06-22-2013 06:33 PM

Do you have any more troubleshooting ideas? I just installed Pro Tools 11 on a Mac Mini with HDMI out to a Sony TV. Quicktimes which play fine on my main system just show up as a black window on the mini. I'm also getting occasional "Segmentation fault" errors on quitting and the missing codec warning.

Video engine is on; Avid Codec's are installed. Quicktimes play fine when opened in Quicktime player, just not in Pro Tools.

Thanks.

EDIT: Figured it out, I think. In the System Requirements it says 8GB RAM required for Video Playback, the mini only has 4GB. That would also explain the "Segmentation Error." Carry on, nothing to see here.

Syrcular 06-23-2013 12:28 PM

Hi all,

RE: "Installing Video Engine". This Pro Tools 11 install was just a drag and drop according to install instructions so I literally dragged the Pro Tools icon from the install image to applications. So I didn't see any install video engine option.
However, I did enable the video engine, but anything I try and import comes back as incompatable. This is the trial version I downloaded, but to my understanding it's a fully functioning version for 30 days according to Avid.

Is there anything in the import process I'm missing?

Chief Technician 06-23-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrcular (Post 2052255)

What codec was used for these movies? Are they reference movies (a few hundred KB in size) or self-contained movies? Where are you trying to import them from?

Righty27 06-23-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrcular (Post 2052255)
Hi all,

RE: "Installing Video Engine". This Pro Tools 11 install was just a drag and drop according to install instructions so I literally dragged the Pro Tools icon from the install image to applications. So I didn't see any install video engine option.
However, I did enable the video engine, but anything I try and import comes back as incompatable. This is the trial version I downloaded, but to my understanding it's a fully functioning version for 30 days according to Avid.

Yes - drag Pro Tools into the applications folder. Not sure if this is the missing step but there were a few extra folders, one of which contained an installer for video codecs (which I ran). When I tested (by dragging a video file into the edit window), I was prompted to enable the video engine (which was 'off' - nice touch!)

Syrcular 06-24-2013 08:05 PM

As far as codecs, I've tried DNxHD, ProRes 422, H.264 and XDCAM 422 all in Quicktimes. None of which are working. I installed everything that came with the Pro Tools 11 download.
One thing to note...I can import these videos in Pro Tools 10 no problem on the same machine. But when I open Pro Tools 11, I get the codec error. I've tried reinstalling a few times, and uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools 10 on the same machine, thinking maybe there was a conflict their, and I'm still not able to import video into PT 11.

Any suggestions? Is everyone able to import video no problems in PT 11?

tom_lowe 06-24-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrcular (Post 2053486)
As far as codecs, I've tried DNxHD, ProRes 422, H.264 and XDCAM 422 all in Quicktimes. None of which are working. I installed everything that came with the Pro Tools 11 download.
One thing to note...I can import these videos in Pro Tools 10 no problem on the same machine. But when I open Pro Tools 11, I get the codec error. I've tried reinstalling a few times, and uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools 10 on the same machine, thinking maybe there was a conflict their, and I'm still not able to import video into PT 11.

Any suggestions? Is everyone able to import video no problems in PT 11?

Having exactly the same problems. DNxHD MXFs come up as CODEC missing, ProRes and other QuickTimes just have a black screen. 8GB of RAM too.