Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   CPU Overload (error 6101) on intel macbook pro (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=208771)

JrummerJ 11-06-2007 08:18 AM

CPU Overload (error 6101) on intel macbook pro

I got this message a couple times this past weekend while recording. I am running a Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz with 2GB RAM, M-Powered 7.3.1 (no cs updates), an M-Audio firewire 410 (1.8.2), and a WD MyBook firewire HD chained through the 410. I have disabled dashboard, spotlight, and safe sleep and turned off all the recommended power saving features.

Basically, I was just recording 2 tracks, none playing back, no plugins. Every once in a while it would throw the 6101 error and interupt recording. With the exact same configuaration I never had this problem on my AMD dual core machine, so it is a bit irritating.

I've searched all the threads on this and they all pretty much die a slow death with no answers. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

J

spkguitar 11-06-2007 08:39 AM

Re: CPU Overload (error 6101) on intel macbook pro

There are several suggestions on the support pages;

This one

and this one

and a few others.

Make sure you are using the latest driver for the 410. Make sure that no other audio programs are running.

Also, even though none of the cs updates seem to be related to the issue you are having, I would highly recommend them.

JrummerJ 11-06-2007 08:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not have my M-Audio application open at all, so I don't know if there were any jumpy SPDIF meters, but there should not have been if I was only using analog ins 1 and 2.

My sessions were done at a lowly 16bit/44.1 so I can't imagine 2 tracks being a problem. Wireless and bluetooth were off and no other applications at all were running. I am using the latest 410 drivers.

I downloaded the CS5 update, so that will get installed tonight. Any other ideas?

J

bradch00 11-06-2007 10:25 AM

The first thing I would try is getting a 6 - 9 pin FW400/800 cable and moving the audio interface to FW800 port and plugging the hard drive directly into the FW400 port. I have an intel iMac with similar configuration (1X F400, 1X FW800) and doing this solved the CPU overload problem. On your system you have the option of adding another external FW card, which should resolve the issue as well (more costly of course)

JrummerJ 11-06-2007 11:35 AM

I might have to try that, got a nice little computer shop nearby that usually will give me a cable if I need it. Thanks!

I didn't consider this before because I thought that I remembered people saying that using both ports at the same time did not work well since they are on the same bus. Any thoughts?

J

bradch00 11-06-2007 12:37 PM

There have been a number of problems mixing FW400 interfaces and FW800 drives on their respective ports and speculation seems to point at the shared bus as culprit. When I first got my iMac (and it's an early 2007 model), I couldn't playback or record a session at all (I had a FW400 drive on the FW800 port and the projectMix I/O on the FW400 port). Chaining them both through the drive didn't prove to be much better, but once I put the projectMix I/O on the FW800 and dedicated the FW400 drive to the FW400 port, everything was good. (Other than I still can't sing worth a damn, but that's another story)

JrummerJ 11-07-2007 05:15 AM

I bought the cable......I'll report back after a week or two of use to see if this takes care of the cpu overload issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

J

JrummerJ 11-08-2007 09:32 AM

Well, I have still received the 6101 error even after connecting my firewire 410 to the fw 800 port and the hard drive to the fw400 port. Buffer set to 512, DAE to 2 (default).

The session is basically a stereo recording of my band with an additional master fader track. On the master fader I have an EQ and a Mastering Limiter plugged in. So, all in all, 3 tracks and 2 plugins.

This size of a session should even budge the cpu, so why is this happening? And I don't even see the cpu meter approach the red zone, so what gives? Digi???? Anybody?????

J

bradch00 11-08-2007 11:58 AM

Man... sorry, I thought that would work for sure. For the reasons I stated previously. I suppose it would be a test to take the drive out of the equation, just as a test. Would it be possible for you to copy the audio file(s) you are using to a place on the internal hard-disk, shutdown the mac book, unplug the disk, start the mac backup. Create a session on the internal drive exactly as you had on the external and import the audio file(s) into it and see if the same thing happens. At least this will tell us whether the external drive is causing the issue. I realize you can't run this way in production.

JrummerJ 11-08-2007 12:41 PM

Yeah, I had thought about trying this too. It just seems to me that the drive shouldn't be the problem, as it worked perfectly when it was chained through the 410 and conected to my AMD dual core desktop.

I wouldn't think that a drive would work on one platform and not another....am I crazy?

J