Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Newegg customers of WD drives beware!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=82788)

where02190 09-04-2003 11:44 AM

Newegg customers of WD drives beware!!!

Word of caution: If you purchase WD Caviar drives from www.newegg.com, be advise they will substitute IBM/Hitachi "equivalent" drives if they are out of stock of the Caviars. While the IBM/Hitachi drives are very fast, they are not as fast as the Caviars in our testing. Furthermore, if you request an RA, Newegg will not pay return shipping.

Allen Hallada 09-04-2003 10:15 PM

Re: Newegg customers of WD drives beware!!!

What a bunch of crap. If you get the new Hitachi/IBM drives you should be thankful. They are a better drive.

Allen

where02190 09-04-2003 10:22 PM

Quote:

What a bunch of crap. If you get the new Hitachi/IBM drives you should be thankful. They are a better drive.

Allen

By whose standards? The WD drive has a faster seek time, and in EXTENSIVE testing, we found them to be definitely faster. We've had nothing but great performance from them, and besides all that, IT'S NOT WHAT I ORDERED!!!!!!!!

IF Newegg had e-mailed or called and told me, "hey we're out of stock, is the IBM/HIT drive acceptable, that'd be one thing, but to simply substitute is bad business.

IF you run drive intensive applications, you'll see the difference, the WD is by far a faster performer.

metaltim 09-05-2003 11:14 PM

you're right, regardless of if you order a digi 001 and get an 002... it's not what you ordered..
and to make the CUSTOMER pay return shipping on top of that..

i had a similar experience with my KDS LCD monitor.
I got one.. it turned out to act kinda weird on me.
I tell them, they send out a new one to replace it.
well they were out of stock, so they sent a different model, and for some reason, it made my monitors hum pretty loudly.
Aside from this, I don't think it had nearly as clear a picture as my original model.
i tell them I don't want this different model, they say, unless that one is deffective, I have to pay for shipping..
what a crock of shiat.
I ended up doing it, cause I can't have my speakers humming all day.
now i have to deal with my original one.
for some reason, sometimes when i turn it off, then the next day turn it back on, the screen is just grey.
I have to turn it off and back on again, like 50 times finally it works...

ecalcagnino 09-07-2003 07:16 AM

They always pay return shipping on RAs for me. I setup a few systems a week and have bad hardware all the time. They always help out and are the best online re/wholesaler I have found.

Subbing out drives is not cool without prior notification. I have never had this happen though.

Eric