Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Midi issues with sustain (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409704)

Samba 04-21-2020 01:44 AM

Midi issues with sustain

Hi,

I am drawing in a few 'sustain pedals' on a virtual piano track.

I have areas where pro tools ignores the sustain. And even if I delete the sustain, and draw it in again, pro tools ignores it.

95% of my sustains work. Why would some not?

MacOS Mojave - 10.14.3
PT 2019.6.0

musicman691 04-21-2020 04:00 AM

Re: Midi issues with sustain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2562721)
Hi,

I am drawing in a few 'sustain pedals' on a virtual piano track.

I have areas where pro tools ignores the sustain. And even if I delete the sustain, and draw it in again, pro tools ignores it.

95% of my sustains work. Why would some not?

MacOS Mojave - 10.14.3
PT 2019.6.0

Is this with PT 2020.3 or 2019.6 that's in your sig? I ask because you're posting in the 2020 forum. Either way check the MIDI event list to see if the MIDI sustain events exist there and that they're the proper for sustain on & off. Also try and manually enter sustain events in the MIDI event list and see if those work. Being that you're using a piano vi sustain should work.

Being that you're manually drawing the events in this shouldn't be the old MIDI merge problem that's been discussed here (but you never know).

Samba 04-21-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2562732)
Is this with PT 2020.3 or 2019.6 that's in your sig? I ask because you're posting in the 2020 forum. Either way check the MIDI event list to see if the MIDI sustain events exist there and that they're the proper for sustain on & off. Also try and manually enter sustain events in the MIDI event list and see if those work. Being that you're using a piano vi sustain should work.

Being that you're manually drawing the events in this shouldn't be the old MIDI merge problem that's been discussed here (but you never know).

Thanks musicman! Sorry, I am on PT2019.

Avid is still having midi merge issues?

musicman691 04-21-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2562825)
Thanks musicman! Sorry, I am on PT2019.

Avid is still having midi merge issues?

Yes

As I wrote before - check your MIDI event list to see if the sustain messages are there as well as try manually entering sustain messages in that list.

Samba 04-21-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2562839)
Yes

As I wrote before - check your MIDI event list to see if the sustain messages are there as well as try manually entering sustain messages in that list.

Thanks musicman. let's hope Avid makes some effort with midi. It's 2020 - this shouldn't be happening.

Samba 04-22-2020 12:01 AM

So I've just tried GarageBand instead.

I've uploaded Kontakt / Alicia's Keys into both.

Pro Tools - Errors.
GarageBand - Fine

Having to draw in or enter sustain messages into a midi list in 2020 is completely insane. How can GarageBand get midi together, and Avid can't?

Is anyone recording midi into pro tools without errors?

musicman691 04-22-2020 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2562858)
So I've just tried GarageBand instead.

I've uploaded Kontakt / Alicia's Keys into both.

Pro Tools - Errors.
GarageBand - Fine

Having to draw in or enter sustain messages into a midi list in 2020 is completely insane. How can GarageBand get midi together, and Avid can't?

Is anyone recording midi into pro tools without errors?

Can you try a vi other than Kontakt? Some NI vi's have historically had issues with MIDI sustain. Maybe try one of the stock instruments that come with PT.

Being that you're apparently looking at the MIDI event list was there any recorded sustain messages in there?

Samba 04-22-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2562884)
Can you try a vi other than Kontakt? Some NI vi's have historically had issues with MIDI sustain. Maybe try one of the stock instruments that come with PT.

Being that you're apparently looking at the MIDI event list was there any recorded sustain messages in there?

Will do, Jack. Thanks for responding. I'm also getting notes sounding when there is no midi note visible. It's really strange. I'll let you know

Samba 07-15-2020 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2562884)

Hi Jack,

Still having this issue amongst other midi related issues inside Pro Tools.

I checked the midi event list and I'm looking at the sustain message under the track. The sustain message is identified by PT, yet it's ignoring it.

musicman691 07-15-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2572702)
Hi Jack,

Still having this issue amongst other midi related issues inside Pro Tools.

I checked the midi event list and I'm looking at the sustain message under the track. The sustain message is identified by PT, yet it's ignoring it.

Are you trying vi's other than Kontakt or anything from NI? Try another developer's vi's.