Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   New MacMini(i7), Mojave, PT 2018.12U, HD-Native (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402632)

littlesicily 12-26-2018 09:55 AM

New MacMini(i7), Mojave, PT 2018.12U, HD-Native

Hi All,

I know.... not supported yet, but a friend is successfully running the new Mac mini/Mojave/PT2018.12U ... with HDX.

I'm trying today w/ HD-Native Thunderbolt.... and I can't get Pro Tools to see my HD-Native and connected HD I/O's. I've unistalled/reinstalled, trashed prefs, restarted, etc. Btw, I'm using the Apple TB2-TB3 adaptor, which seems fine with all my other external TB HD's and such.

Anyone running this combo w/ HD-Native TB?

Southsidemusic 12-26-2018 11:53 AM

Re: New MacMini(i7), Mojave, PT 2018.12U, HD-Native

Do you have the digilink license on your ilok key?

littlesicily 12-26-2018 11:57 AM

Yes.

I still have my Trashcan Mac Pro and everything is fully functional on that rig.
On the Mac mini, I installed PT, HD Driver, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.
Still not recognizing the HD-N.

Southsidemusic 12-26-2018 12:04 PM

Just a quick question: why are you using a TB 2/3 adapter? The Native TB boxes are not TB3 and the trashcan connections are TB2 so try skipping the adapter and see if that does anything.

littlesicily 12-26-2018 12:07 PM

I'm using the TB2/3 adapter with the new Mac Mini, not the Trashcan. MacMini has TB3, HD-Native is TB2.

Southsidemusic 12-26-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesicily (Post 2510769)
I'm using the TB2/3 adapter with the new Mac Mini, not the Trashcan. MacMini has TB3, HD-Native is TB2.

Are you sure the Thunderbolt box is TB2 as I have not seen that stated anywhere. It only say ”Thunderbolt” connection in all the articles and spec’s so maybe you need a TB3 to TB1 adapter if that exist.

You have done the PRAM reset and tested the TB cable so it works as it should? It is a weird issue but check on the TB1 to TB3 if the adapter you have is going to work with that connection.

HD Native Thunderbolt is a few years old and I am quite sure it is only TB1 on those boxes but as I said please double check that.

littlesicily 12-26-2018 12:39 PM

Yes, for the adapter... "The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices..."

Tried several different TB3 ports, two diff adapters and cables.

Darryl Ramm 12-26-2018 12:42 PM

Lets make progress here. The Thunderbolt adapter will be fine, it it's known to work with other devices. Thunderbolt 1 or 2 does not matter, Thunderbolt 1 is a trivial subset of Thunderbolt 2 capabilities.

So really useful info would be how exactly is this not working. Does the device show up in...

System Report>Thunderbolt
Audio Midi Settings?
Digitest?
Playback Engine settings?

Confirm you are installing 2018.12 (we don't' care what your friend installed).

I can't recall what Mojave throws up for HD driver security approvals but make sure you have not missed any in Systems Preferences>Security & Privacy permissions when you run the installer again.

littlesicily 12-26-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2510775)
Lets make progress here. The Thunderbolt adapter will be fine, it it's known to work with other devices. Thunderbolt 1 or 2 does not matter, Thunderbolt 1 is a trivial subset of Thunderbolt 2 capabilities.

So really useful info would be how exactly is this not working. Does the device show up in...

System Report>Thunderbolt
Audio Midi Settings?
Digitest?
Playback Engine settings?

Confirm you are installing 2018.12 (we don't' care what your friend installed).

I can't recall what Mojave throws up for HD driver security approvals but make sure you have not missed any in Systems Preferences>Security & Privacy permissions when you run the installer again.

Thanks, Darryl.

System Report>Thunderbolt. YES
Audio Midi Settings? NO
Digitest? NO
Playback Engine settings? NO

Yes 2018.12

Not sure about security permissions. Nothing popped up when installing the HD driver.

Darryl Ramm 12-26-2018 01:09 PM

Again I can't remember what driver warnings you should expect, but driver not installing because of security issues is a likely reason for this... or at least all you are seeing says the device is there and the driver did not install.

Reinstall that and watch out for dialog pop-ups hidden behind other Windows. And check Systems References > Privacy & Security for warnings... which disappear from there some time after any failed install. Rerun the install to regenerate them.

You will have to additionally enable mic inputs in Privacy & Security for the interface once it is working.