Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Protools Uninstall/Reinstall issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247016)

ZachS 05-28-2009 10:26 AM

Protools Uninstall/Reinstall issues

So a few days ago Protools and all my other audio programs connected to my MBox2 would not open. I would double click them and nothing would happen.

After trying a bunch of different things I finally decided I need to uninstall PT. But it wouldnt uninstall from my add/remove programs in the control panel. So I downloaded the uninstall program from digidesign.

This seemed to work (the icon and program files were gone). Reason and FL Studio would now open since they were no longer connected to the MBox. However there was still a spot for PT in the add/remove programs in the control panel.

So I tried to reinstall PT from the Disk and it either just stops or pops up all sorts of errors.

I have had PT for over 2 years and never once had a problem. And I made no major changes to my computer in between the time that it worked and didnt work.

Someone please HELP!

Thanks

ZachS 05-29-2009 09:31 PM

Re: Protools Uninstall/Reinstall issues

35 views and 0 replies :(

ZachS 05-30-2009 12:57 PM

ok so I uninstalled from the setup file on the PT Disk. It seemed to go all the way through and uninstall everything with no problem. But now when I go back to install from the setup file it gives me this error...

"Digidesign Audio Drivers appear to be installed on this computer. The Protools driver versions are not compatible with installed Digidesign audio Drivers.

Please use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to uninstall the existing Digidesign Audio Drivers and restart this computer before installing Protools"

What drivers??? It should have uninstalled those drivers when I did the full uninstall. And there is nothing in my Add/remove programs that relates to Digidesign or PT...

Someone please help!!!

ZachS 05-30-2009 03:30 PM

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Model : Dell Inc. Dell DM061
Workgroup : MSHOME
Host Name : ********
User : **************

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
Speed : 3.2GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 16kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2x 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

System
Mainboard : Dell Inc. 0WG864
BIOS : Dell Inc. 2.3.2 (03/30/2007)
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 2GB

Chipset
Model : Dell P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Qimonda 64T128020EU3SB2 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)
Memory Module : Qimonda 64T128020EU3SB2 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)

Video System
Adapter : 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO (PS3.0, VS3.0 594MHz, 256MB 396MHz, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Storage Devices
ST3160815AS (160GB, SATA300, 3.5", NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 149GB (C:)
WD 10EAVS External 1TB (USB) : 932GB (E:)
TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653A (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 2GB (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 146GB (NTFS) @ ST3160815AS (160GB, SATA300, 3.5", NCQ, 8MB Cache)
Pro Tools LE (D:) : 2GB (CDFS) @ TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653A (SATA300, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
My Book (E:) : 931GB (FAT32) @ WD 10EAVS External 1TB (USB)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : SMSC SCH5514D-NS
Audio Device : Dell 82801H (ICH8) HD Audio Controller
Serial Port(s) : 3
Disk Controller : Dell ICH8R (ICH8) SATA RAID Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #4
USB Controller 2 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #5
USB Controller 3 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB2 EHCI #2
USB Controller 4 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #1
USB Controller 5 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #2
USB Controller 6 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #3
USB Controller 7 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB2 EHCI #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Adobe PDF Converter (4000x4000, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : x86

TOM@METRO 06-03-2009 01:36 AM

What version of PT are you running? Have you installed separate ASIO or Wave drivers?

On a separate note, unless you are running an older version of PT, the My Book audio drive (assumed) should be formatted NTFS.
And regardless of version, run via firewire through an approved controller.

DigiTechSupt 06-03-2009 03:37 PM

You can try a number of alternate uninstall methods:

http://digidesign.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=7683

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...1&itemid=23699

ZachS 06-10-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1406766)

thanks got it to uninstall... but now it stops at 100% when i reinstall saying

"Protools LE 7.3 is configuring your new software installation"

any tips

jojo99 06-11-2009 01:19 AM

what's your audio card driver vers?

wittsend 07-10-2009 10:23 AM

I'm having the exact same issue as "ZachS".

In fact, I had my M-Box installed and working. I removed the M-Box a few months ago, but left the software loaded thinking all I needed to do was plug the box back in and go at a later date. That didn't work.

1.First I got prompts for missing drivers. I put the install disc in, but that solved nothing.

2. I attempted to removed Protools 7.3.1 and the Windows removal tool said there were two installs and would delete neither. (note only one install showed in the Add/Remove window)

3. Eventually I found the Protools removal tool listed above (Pro Tools Unistaller 7 - also called ptnuke12 - I tried both). I used it and Protools "seemed" to be removed. I say that because even though there was no "space used" amount listed the Add/Remove window still showed Protools.

4. An attempt to delete the remaining Protools only started a prompt to install rather than remove it (what?). Might I add that this was even without the ProTools disc in the drive! It actually installed a considerable amount of software right out of the C: drive "programs file." It did eventually prompt me and I did finally have to install the disc (pointing it to the file it requested - it couldn't find it itself). The install continued until just Like ZachS states it hangs at the very end.

5. I tried again. This time I ran the removal tool - twice with a restart each time. I went into the programs file and deleted anything "Digidesign" that was remaining. I then went into the Registry and deleted the entire "Digidesign" folder under "Software." Note that the removal tool did NOT completely clean the Registry of Digidesign values.

6. I then ran the install again and sure enough, it hung up at the very end.

7. I've also run "E:\Pro Tools LE Installer\setup.exe" -fix. And guess what? It hangs up TOO!!!

So, for what reason would a functional system cease to work simply because the M-Box had been removed for some time??? Why wouldn't the software remove properly? Why would the additional removal tool not remove all the Software/Registry enteries? Why won't the "-FIX" fix the problem? Why can't I reinstall the software without it hanging up?

I NEVER did a system restore. XP likely migrated from SP2 to SP3 but I would say this board would be filled with irate customers if that required a complete reinstall of the operating system.

I'm sitting here a bit befuddled, a bit annoyed and wondering what my next move will be. I'll say this, I will NOT reinstall the Operating System. There should be no reason to.

Thank you for your time, Tom

TOM@METRO 07-10-2009 11:07 PM

wittsend.

It does sound like you have a similar issue but that doesn't mean it's from the same cause. We will need a Sandra report to help you.
So please start your own thread after reading this.

Looking forward to trying to help you.