Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ICON D ? Is this the new controller? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=101062)

Shan 03-29-2004 12:25 PM

Re: ICON D ? Is this the new controller?

Quote:

You know, if Digidesign is selling the ICON with the idea that they have created the ideal pro mix platform, then they had better include an automation mix tree. Euphonix, which ended up with a very good system, suffered for years with software that wasn't really up to the task. I'm sure they would have done much better if they had their current software when they first started selling their console.

sm

YES!! Some type of 'mix history' would be VERY helpful.

Shan

sauna-l 03-29-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Not to be demanding, but what would really make me go for the Icon as a system would be if digidesign came out with a "Pre Deluxe" which would consist of a prism or lavry AD converter and a digitally controlled Great River, or 1073 preamp. If they came out with that (okay, okay a mix tree'd be cool too) I wouldn't even think twice about spending my retirement.... I think...

Martin

I was too expecting something like a high-end Control 24, including at least Focusrite first class (blue range) preamps; 60k is way overpriced for an Ethernet controller; seems that this "Icon" is clearly aimed at post-production and large mixing tasks, but what about tracking ?? SSL, Neves and APIs have a sound and are in a quality range I might spend a lot for, because it certainly means something. 60k for having the privilege to talk directly to Protools software with shortcuts and controllers is ... like a sad joke. How much would cost that fancy D- controller if Mackie or others had the code to do it? So, what should we pay for? A privilege? You'll get a plastic car at a Porsche's price, but you'll have the right to take the highway. Because we, Digidesign, own the toll!
It sures will boost competitors appetite; now if we were just not so many Protools users, they certainly woudn't have even tried that. But maybe the 60k annoucement is a test ??

JLC 03-29-2004 02:06 PM

I would like to have some (I think) easy to program features that will make pro tools even better (even pro):

-Auto match time (same name in NEVE-glide time in SSL) should be variable in automation enable window (you don't have to go to preferences and stop the playback. This parameter is very easy to acces in NEVE an SSL consoles and is very usefull), should have all the posible units (as you work in grid or nudge. It "will be very musical" if we have all the units, normaly in frames in big consoles and in ms in Pro tools) and should have longer times available (from 0 to a few seconds... bars... 1/4 notes... will be perfect)

-There should be a software option to switch off the motor-faders while checking a mix.

-In auto touch-trim mode faders should remain in 0dB position to make trim easier and go back to 0dB when you release the fader (acording to automatch time) like some big digital mixers, is quite carzy if you have to stop a fader in a very fast passage move just a fraction of dB and release it while is jumping to its old position. This option will make my anterior wish unnecesary, just switch all the faders to this mode

-There should be a trim zoom mode to work with +/- 3 dB resolution in +/- 6 dB fader region length to improve vocal or instruments rides (I know +12 faders are coming...)

This features will make easier and nicer to mix in pro tools

I have some ideas for ICON D... But probably is too late...
For example:
What about have 8 faders asignable to any channels in the central position? (the keyboard should be over the faders...)
What about a mouse or a wacom tablet option for the track ball? (chose what you prefer!!!)
Neve style Mix pass tree... sounds nice

Please implement new functions in the control 24 function keys. If ICOND is such an expensive... I will stay whit control 24 and the audient 5.1 control room controler.

thestudio 03-29-2004 02:29 PM

I was looking for an improved Pro-Control and not at $60,000.......Oh,well

George Cumbee 03-29-2004 02:34 PM

I too was truly disappointed in seeing what this turned out to be...

I have a 24 fader PC in a mix room and was wanting to upgrade the analog console
in our main room. We record to Radar and PTHD.

Have been waiting for this and now I guess I might just proceed with
shopping for a Neve or API for less money. This was not what many of us were expecting and for this kind of money? Geez!

TXDigi 03-29-2004 03:04 PM

JLC...

most of what you requested as PT features already exist !!!

-Auto match time (same name in NEVE-glide time in SSL) should be variable in

yes you have to stop playback but thats not a big deal. You could use quick keys to automatically mark a point in time during playback, open prefs, change the match time, and resume playback. You could have a few diferrent times setup too. I have an SSL j here too and its is much faster in ProTools to stop playback and change the match time than it is to pick up your stylus, navigate to the match window, pull the keyboard drawer out and type in the new time. Even if you dont stop playback it still isnt ultra quick.

-There should be a software option to switch off the motor-faders while checking a mix.

Automation prefs: you can turn the motors off "Faders move during playback"

-In auto touch-trim mode faders should remain in 0dB position to make trim easier and go back to 0dB

use auto write:trim mode and this will do exactly what you want. a very cool feature

There should be a trim zoom mode to work with +/- 3 dB resolution in +/- 6 dB fader region

not exactly what you want but iff you hold the apple key down and use a mouse or trackball the faders and all auto parameters will move in a "fine" mode for those tiny adjustments

hope all this helps !!!!

thestudio 03-29-2004 04:59 PM

Didn't Digi go out and ask people who work on large format consoles there needs and wants? Very odd?

O.G. Killa 03-29-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

You can pan with the Rotary Encoders until Digi resolves the panner issue.

Hi Dr.Sound,

how can you pan in surround with a rotary encoder? You mean using two rotary encoders (L/R, F/B)? that would kind of suck if you had to use two rotary encoders to pan in surround.

What panner issues are there, you mentioned when digi resolves the panner issue?

The Eggman 03-29-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Didn't Digi go out and ask people who work on large format consoles there needs and wants? Very odd?

Studio. I don't get it. Of course, Digi went out to get the wishes from the pro's. I think they've succeeded wildly. And I'm pretty sure that we'll see the desk start popping up in studios of all kinds.

Some people have suggested that Digi should have put Mic Pre's on the desk...why do such a thing when they have a dedicated box with Pre's in it already? And when you put all the numbers together, the whole Digi system comes in WAY cheaper than the competition AND is the only one which includes the recording and editing of ProTools.

You just can't please everybody now, can you?

Martin Adriaanse 03-29-2004 07:02 PM

how can you pan in surround with a rotary encoder? You mean using two rotary encoders (L/R, F/B)? that would kind of suck if you had to use two rotary encoders to pan in surround.
------

well that really depends on how well you can draw circles with an Etch-A-Sketch

Martin