Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Multiple inputs assigned to a track? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407274)

Bob Brown 11-24-2019 11:07 AM

Multiple inputs assigned to a track?

Hi,

Is it possible to assign multiple inputs to a track (audio or aux)?

For example, you can assign multiple outputs of a track using control-click on the output. You see a little "+" sign indicating the output is assigned to say "Bus 1" and "Bus 16".

I would like to be able to do the same for inputs.

I know I can route different signals to different buses via an Aux track and route the output of each Aux track to the same Bus, then route that Bus to a track (basically summing all of the signals to mono).

Thanks,
Bob

BScout 11-24-2019 11:15 AM

Re: Multiple inputs assigned to a track?

No. Because that is summing as you've figured out. And summing = mixer.

(Whereas sending to multiple outs is just routing; just like in the real world on a console)

JFreak 11-24-2019 04:30 PM

Everything becomes much simpler after you think about it for a second :cool:

Ben Jenssen 11-24-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2545452)
Everything becomes much simpler after you think about it for a second :cool:

I did think for a few seconds, and I thought; I could of course make a aux for every input and then route everything multiple places, recording trax with multiple inputs, so this could be programmed to happen behind the scenes, no?

JFreak 11-24-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2545456)
I did think for a few seconds, and I thought; I could of course make a aux for every input and then route everything multiple places, recording trax with multiple inputs, so this could be programmed to happen behind the scenes, no?

Remember, this is Pro Tools we are talking about. If you cannot do it with S6 you cannot do it in software.

It is so fundamental that you have multiple inputs then mixer then one or more outputs. Why complicate things too much?

Of course in the analog world you can create y-cable to sum two mono signals together and have it on single console track, but PT session might have funny combination of greater than stereo tracks and this proposed "pseudo summing" should work everywhere if it was implemented.

I bet it is never going to happen. Not gonna eat a hat if it does, but I'm just shaking my head here... where's the facepalm emoji?

Ben Jenssen 11-24-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2545458)
It is so fundamental that you have multiple inputs then mixer then one or more outputs. Why complicate things too much?

Not trying to complicate. Just pointing out, playing with, the thoretical idea of this particular question. I don''t know why you woud need the function. :o

JFreak 11-24-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2545459)
I don''t know why you woud need the function. :o

Well I kind of do, but in analog domain and where there are not enough available channels for what I need to do. It hasn't been one or two times I have needed to solder a y-cable to mono-sum two signals together. Just that it is much simpler than what OP is suggesting.

In digital domain, no, never. Would not even think of doing that.

Ben Jenssen 11-24-2019 06:46 PM

Well, that's that, then.

(Mmm, tape, cables, smell of soldering, sweat. :D )

cwsand 11-24-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2545459)
Not trying to complicate. Just pointing out, playing with, the thoretical idea of this particular question. I don''t know why you woud need the function. :o

Exactly.

bad jitter 09-11-2023 05:44 AM

I could use this functionality, and it would be very handy for certain workflows.