Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   GG (-6085) and (-6088) Demon strikes again (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=252445)

T666 08-18-2009 09:54 PM

GG (-6085) and (-6088) Demon strikes again

I KEEP GETTING KNEE CAPPED as soon as i hit the PLAY button...

*** The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine panel. (-6088)

Had no issues when using Pro Tools 7.4 with the same session, same Firewire card, but different PC

Brand: DELL 9150
System: Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional SP3 Explorer 7.0
Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz 3.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
System Drive: 300GB Sata 7200rpm
Audio Drive: 80GB Ide 7200rpm
Hardware: Digi002 Rack

Ive tried the following:
* Unplug to different firewire ports on the Texas Firewire card and the 002
* Deactivating tracks and plugins (only a blank session works 100%)
* Tried all the different Buffer settings
* Tried 1 CPU and 2 CPUS
* Disabled On board sound from BIOS
* Disabed some Hyperthreading and Superchip thingo from BIOS
* No Raid
* Disabled Intel Network card
* Followed all of the Windows XP recommended tweaks
* Pro Tools is the only software installed other than Windows updates

I read somewhere about having to update some Duel CPU chip for the Dell but cant find more about this...

Also this machine was shipped as Media Edition but i reformatted it back to Windows XP, and their is an unknown device still in the Device manager which i believe is something related an Intel Chip for Media Edition but cant find more about this either...

The first thing i prob should have tested was to change my Audio drive and see if perhaps that hard drive is the problem
I also noticed in BIOS the drives are set to RAID/ ahci or RAID/ ata
Which to choose? default is RAID/ ahci
The drives are not configured for raid so im assuming RAID is not enabled

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

:confused:

Thanks David D

T

TCM 08-19-2009 05:03 AM

Re: GG (-6085) and (-6088) Demon strikes again

AHCI requires special drivers; it's for Sata II hds to enable NCQ and hot swapping. Change it to ata and see what's happening.

I assume you use PT 8 now.
I am not sure if your CPU may be a little weak for that??? No experience:eek:

T666 08-20-2009 06:43 AM

Update:

I changed the older 80Gig audio drive to a new 200Gig sata drive and noticed the H/W Buffer error didnt occur til about 4 bars in which suggested i increase the buffer size, which i increased to 2048. Now at 4 bars in i get a new error

*Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often, reducing the H/W Buffer size in the Playback Engine Dialog may help prevent the problem. (-9129)

The only thing left i think is to try change the harddrive BIOS to ATA instead of ACHI? ACHI was the default
Does anyone know if this may be the problem?
The hard drives are not configured as RAID
And ive seen no warnings about incompaibility with ACHI...
There seems to be no option to set either of the sata drives to DMA
I think thats an IDE drive option only

WARNING, in bios sata operation that if i try switch AHCI to ATA that my system may no longer boot

So i didnt go ahead with that yet...

12am at night..
In some random hard drive q/a webpage it says:.
In addition to checking the BIOS if dma is not available, you can also check in device manager under "Hard disk controllers" and make sure that you have the IDE controller and NOT the ATA controller. If you have the ATA controller you will need to Update the hard disk controller driver to the "standard dual IDE controller".

I notice in the device manager its set to ata not IDE but thats cuz its not an IDE drive right???
I mean is any of this s### even relevant?

Any further help appreciated

:confused:

T

Brand: DELL 9150
System: Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional SP3 Explorer 7.0
Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
System Drive: 300GB Sata 7200rpm (ACHI)
Audio Drive: 200GB Sata 7200rpm (ACHI)
Hardware: Digi002 Rack

MrBlack 08-20-2009 07:17 AM

On Xp I had the same issue until I disabled the Windows theme,colours etc.. basically its looks like Windows 98.

No issues since touch wood.

T666 08-20-2009 07:34 AM

Thanks for trying to help

Theme set to ...
Actualy says 'modified' now
Last week i went thru all the performace tweak guide things and had all that turned down
I cant even remmeber the steps now but yeh windows is grey and looks stupid

This bs is realy starting to anoy me to the point of violence

Am i dumb? is someone at protools dumb? theirs goto someone to blame here nothing should be this hard im quite a violent person TBH

DD

TCM 08-20-2009 08:13 AM

I don't know your BIOS. Check your mobo manual for that.

My BIOS has Raid/AHCI disabled. The Sata hds are recognized and run well!

DigiTechSupt 08-20-2009 09:10 AM

6088 and 6085 errors are inidicative of a firewire bus communication problem. Which card are you using? Did you try putting it in a different slot, or try different cables? Did the driver for the card install properly?

The 9129 is a disk communication error - probably caused by the changes in the BiOS. You probably should go back to the original settings, as I don't think the original problem had anything to do with drive settings.

TOM@METRO 08-20-2009 09:33 AM

Guessing is fun, but if the above has not helped you, please post a Sandra report on your system exactly the way it is set up for PT.

T666 08-24-2009 02:07 AM

The problem is still there whenever i hit play, I will provide a sandra report tonight. I did not changed my hard drive bios settings, but i had changed my audio drive from an IDE80gig to a SATA100gig drive which was when i got the first -9129 error. The -9129 error changed back into the -6085 or 6088 error the second after i made my previos post... The only difference between the 2 drives, is with the new sata200gig drive i get about 1 bar of normal play until the audio suddenly staggers and the stops with the error. Is it possible my fire wire card is no good? it worked perfectly fine in my older computer with PT 7.4. I also tried it in different pci ports with no difference. The older drive errored immediately on playback

:mad:

T666 09-01-2009 08:36 AM

ive installed sisoft sandra but what report is going to be useful?
can you give me some instruction on this
ive had no luck at all getting protools to work for more than 1 bar of play
im about to instal 8.01 update and see if it fixes it
thanks
d
d

T