Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Splitting midi regions and midi notes (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=382544)

Calon 07-13-2016 03:53 AM

Splitting midi regions and midi notes

Can somebody please explain the relationship between midi regions and midi notes in PT LE. When you separate a midi region ( in region view) it doesn't separate the midi notes as well. This is totally different to any other DAW I've used eg Reason, Cubase, Ableton. In those progs when split a clip you end up with 2 distinct clips, eg say u split a four bar chord in the middle you end up with 2x 2 bar chords with the midi notes neatly split as well. But to do that in PTLE you need a 2 stage process where you separate the midi notes first ( in notes view) and then split the region in region view. Why does PT behave like this, what is the advantage of it? If you just split the region in region view the midi notes are left extending beyond the first region and the second region has no data at all. Is there a way to split the region and the notes at the same time ? Thanks.

musicman691 07-13-2016 09:45 AM

Re: Splitting midi regions and midi notes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calon (Post 2369471)
Can somebody please explain the relationship between midi regions and midi notes in PT LE. When you separate a midi region ( in region view) it doesn't separate the midi notes as well. This is totally different to any other DAW I've used eg Reason, Cubase, Ableton. In those progs when split a clip you end up with 2 distinct clips, eg say u split a four bar chord in the middle you end up with 2x 2 bar chords with the midi notes neatly split as well. But to do that in PTLE you need a 2 stage process where you separate the midi notes first ( in notes view) and then split the region in region view. Why does PT behave like this, what is the advantage of it? If you just split the region in region view the midi notes are left extending beyond the first region and the second region has no data at all. Is there a way to split the region and the notes at the same time ? Thanks.

PT does this (as does Digital Performer) because it works in whole notes - in order to select a note you have to select the whole note. There is no way to split the region and notes at the same time. As to why PT and DP do this and what the advantage is - I have no idea.

Calon 07-13-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2369526)
PT does this (as does Digital Performer) because it works in whole notes - in order to select a note you have to select the whole note. There is no way to split the region and notes at the same time. As to why PT and DP do this and what the advantage is - I have no idea.

Thanks for that. Is it still the same in the latest version of PT as well?

musicman691 07-13-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calon (Post 2369604)
Thanks for that. Is it still the same in the latest version of PT as well?

I don't have PT12 but I'm sure it still works the same way. Avid wouldn't change something like that and if they did I'm sure people here would be on it like stink on cheese.

TOM@METRO 07-13-2016 02:35 PM

We have been asking for a preference on this since forever. Yes,12 is the same.

Calon 07-14-2016 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2369635)
We have been asking for a preference on this since forever. Yes,12 is the same.

It seems incredible you can't do such a simple thing in one go, they could just add a "split region and notes" command to the edit menu, probably 10 mins of a PT developer's time.

TOM@METRO 07-14-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calon (Post 2369727)
It seems incredible you can't do such a simple thing in one go, they could just add a "split region and notes" command to the edit menu, probably 10 mins of a PT developer's time.

I kinda' feel the same way, but there may well be aspects of this that are more troublesome than we know.

It would sure be nice to see this happen though. I've been fighting with this limitation for many years.

Perhaps the appropriate Avid manager could chime in here.

Calon 07-14-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2369771)
I kinda' feel the same way, but there may well be aspects of this that are more troublesome than we know.

It would sure be nice to see this happen though. I've been fighting with this limitation for many years.

Perhaps the appropriate Avid manager could chime in here.

Ableton's approach to midi editing is very elegant, showing the note name on the midi note is v nice too, Ableton and Cubase both do this.

SomeOtherGuy 03-31-2020 05:01 PM

This thread relates to the one I created today. Is there no way Avid will give us this pref?