Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   recommendations for gfx card update in 2010 MacPro to max video engine performance? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384079)

alexeymohr 09-10-2016 11:49 AM

recommendations for gfx card update in 2010 MacPro to max video engine performance?

Hi all,

my home rig is a 2010 Mac Pro tower:

- upgraded processors to dual Xeon 2.93 Ghz
- 28GB RAM
- SSD drive for boot, SSD drive for sessions
- running PT 12.5.2 on OS X 10.11.6 (yuck, I know)
- BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k PCI card for video playback to TV
- orignial ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card

So aside from the terrible GUI slowness when running PT 12 under OS X 10.11 (eagerly awaiting PT approval for MacOS Sierra to hopefully correct that!), my main issue is that I have a lot of Avid Video Engine slowness and issues.

Having sat through the entire Avid Video Engine Webinar the main take-away is that better graphics cards = better video engine performance. So to my point:

Can anyone recommend the best reasonably priced graphics card upgrade I can make to my Mac Pro tower to improve Avid Video Engine performance? Ideally something officially Apple-sanctioned, so I'm not dependent on some random firmware hack and dicey driver support. Any guidance is most appreciated!

john1192 09-10-2016 12:59 PM

Re: recommendations for gfx card update in 2010 MacPro to max video engine performanc

here's a bump for an answer .. i would like to know this as well ..

simonyeah 09-11-2016 04:27 AM

Re: recommendations for gfx card update in 2010 MacPro to max video engine performanc

Me too

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

dr sound 09-11-2016 11:44 AM

Here is the place to go to:
http://www.macvidcards.com
Lot's of choices and good knowledge.

Watagushu2013 09-11-2016 04:16 PM

recommendations for gfx card update in 2010 MacPro to max video engine performance?

A basic good starting point for upgrading the gfx card for Pro Tools is a stock 5770 Mac Pro card. From that point, you can put a 5870 or go to nvidia's like the gtx 680's and alikes. But remember that some cards that are not for Mac can have a flashed rom for running it.

alexeymohr 09-11-2016 05:41 PM

Thanks, I've looked at macvidcards.com and I've looked at the Nvidia GTX680.

I'm hoping for some very specific insight into an exact card that someone can recommend that has clear performance advantages for the Avid Video Engine over my stock ATI Radeon 5770.

Does the Nvidia GTX680 offer clear performance gains for AVE? What about the Sapphire HD 7950 that OWC sells?

Or are there any specific firmware-flashed cards from macvidcards.com that are known-reliable for use with PT 12.5 and offer big performance gains for the video engine?

Thanks again to anyone with thoughts on this matter!!

smurfyou 09-11-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 (Post 2380749)
A basic good starting point for upgrading the gfx card for Pro Tools is a stock 5770 Mac Pro card. From that point, you can put a 5870 or go to nvidia's like the gtx 680's and alikes. But remember that some cards that are not for Mac can have a flashed rom for running it.

I have a Mac Pro 5.1 12core with a 5870 GPU. At the moment running PT 12.4, and I'm having better performance with "Enable GPU" UNchecked in the Video section of the prefs. Haven't really had an error since I unchecked it.

It sure would be nice if Avid could spec a range of cards, even if it was only a few. If PT is that picky about them, tell us what to use!!

TVPostSound 09-11-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexeymohr (Post 2380501)
Hi all,

my home rig is a 2010 Mac Pro tower:

- upgraded processors to dual Xeon 2.93 Ghz
- 28GB RAM
- SSD drive for boot, SSD drive for sessions
- running PT 12.5.2 on OS X 10.11.6 (yuck, I know)
- BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k PCI card for video playback to TV
- orignial ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card

So aside from the terrible GUI slowness when running PT 12 under OS X 10.11 (eagerly awaiting PT approval for MacOS Sierra to hopefully correct that!), my main issue is that I have a lot of Avid Video Engine slowness and issues.

Having sat through the entire Avid Video Engine Webinar the main take-away is that better graphics cards = better video engine performance. So to my point:

Can anyone recommend the best reasonably priced graphics card upgrade I can make to my Mac Pro tower to improve Avid Video Engine performance? Ideally something officially Apple-sanctioned, so I'm not dependent on some random firmware hack and dicey driver support. Any guidance is most appreciated!

It's futile.
I tried other cards.
Its the OS.

Wait for Sierra.

Using MXF DNXHD36 has been the one thing that improved the issue.

Watagushu2013 09-12-2016 06:35 AM

My system runs very smooth. Probably it's not only the OS, but a range of different hardware and software compatibility.
I run with 5770,Aja kona3 (prior blackmagic extreme HD) Mac Pro 4,1, MAC OS 10.8.5 and PT12.5.2 with no slowness on the AVE and no problems using ProRes proxy codecs.
Things really improved in the GUI when I upgraded the stock video card (GT 120 w 512mb). But I am not going n Yosemite or either El Capitan so the worst lags I really don't have them.)
Hope this helps.