Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Slate RAVEN MTI virtual desk (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334295)

MIKEROPHONICS 02-07-2013 07:21 AM

Slate RAVEN MTI virtual desk

Has anyone seen this in person - there is a demo in London 27th feb and wondered if it is worth going to see?

cheers

Brandonx1 02-07-2013 08:58 AM

Re: Slate RAVEN MTI virtual desk

I'd be interested in hearing what you think but my first impression is super slow!!!! Can't imagine mixing a show on that thing. That's just me. I like a button and a fader.

MIKEROPHONICS 02-08-2013 01:50 AM

will check it out...

cheers

JohnR424 02-08-2013 08:44 AM

Fifteen years ago we made such a thing, using the then brand new plasma screens with a custom made touch overlay, 32 HUI addressed faders and a master section build from physical JLCooper parts. Google "Glass Console John Ross" or I believe it is still on the JLCooper web site. Sorry Mr Slate.

crsync 02-08-2013 09:07 AM

any thoughts about having a big ass, absolutely flat, reflective surface in your face?

Brandonx1 02-08-2013 11:16 PM

Slate says something about how his console is good for acoustics due to the angle of the screen.

Henchman 02-09-2013 09:20 AM

John. The advantage of your console was it had actual faders, if Im correct.
I can't imagine not having the tactile feel of faders.

BradLyons 02-09-2013 10:36 AM

I have to admit when I first saw the console I was puzzled, didn't get it....but after some time to process I realized that the way we record today has changed, how we mix has changed. There are some large studios here in Atlanta that have big fancy consoles, but they are just being used as inputs and outputs to Pro Tools, that's about it. Everything is being done in the box, something like the RAVEN makes perfect sense for those kinds of users as it's VERY much hands-on. It's cool, very cool and I think is going to do VERY well.

Henchman 02-09-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradLyons (Post 2005968)
I have to admit when I first saw the console I was puzzled, didn't get it....but after some time to process I realized that the way we record today has changed, how we mix has changed. There are some large studios here in Atlanta that have big fancy consoles, but they are just being used as inputs and outputs to Pro Tools, that's about it. Everything is being done in the box, something like the RAVEN makes perfect sense for those kinds of users as it's VERY much hands-on. It's cool, very cool and I think is going to do VERY well.

I do want to check it out. But if its HUI driven, then for me its useless.
I need access to custom faders and things like that.
For us post folks that have our fingers note faders for about 80-90% of the day, without actual tactile faders, it's a non-starter.

BradLyons 02-09-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henchman (Post 2005986)
I do want to check it out. But if its HUI driven, then for me its useless.
I need access to custom faders and things like that.
For us post folks that have our fingers note faders for about 80-90% of the day, without actual tactile faders, it's a non-starter.

Would you please email me your information and location? I'll see if I can get you setup to try one out... if you would like to, that is.