Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Symphony I/O with HD Native - lots of relay clicking (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395176)

Matt Hepworth 11-17-2017 05:43 PM

Symphony I/O with HD Native - lots of relay clicking

Hoping to shed some light on a couple questions.

Been using a Symphony I/O 24 I/O with one of the Accel rigs and it's been very stable. Switching between PT and Stand-alone modes creates relay clicking, as I'm sure you guys have heard before.

Just started using the same Symphony I/O with an HD Native setup on the trashcan Mac Pro, but I have some concerns.

After some in-house testing we ran it for a couple live sessions and we were getting relay clicks quite often. About 6 during the loading of PT. Clicks sometimes when adding plugins, clicks sometimes when adding tracks and things like that. Also two freezes during the session.

We had a PCIe HD Native card in a Thunderbolt Magma chassis. Figuring it was something to do with that we got a HD Native Thunderbolt instead. Same relay clicks quite regularly, but haven't had any freezes yet (knocking on wood).

Are you guys using Symphony I/O (not the black one with the tiny display) hearing quite a few relay clicks while using yours? This exact same Symphony I/O has been flawless with Accel, so I don't think there's an issue with it, but maybe this is just part of the territory with HDN and Symph I/O.

Any experience would be appreciated.

syMPh 11-19-2017 03:12 AM

Re: Symphony I/O with HD Native - lots of relay clicking

unfortunately symphony is not very useful with hd native.. when your cpu load gets close to 100% or even when it spikes on smaller sessions it can trigger a relay click, dropout of audio etc. whereas any other interface would just keep going.. the MK1's only really work well with HDX or TDM... I found it works great natively with a pcie64 card (no clicking natively under same conditions) but you lose the hd card benefits obviously.. you would find with a hdx card it is very useable.

Drew Mazurek 11-19-2017 05:33 AM

Mine's connected to an HD Native PCI card in a machine room.

I'll do some tests tomorrow, but I think I only get relays switching when changing sample rate.

Will check.

Maro Records 11-19-2017 12:13 PM

Hi, the same here.
I've been working almost 3 years with Symphony I/O MkI on USB mode, and 2 months ago I've added HD Native PCIe - ...yes...hearing these relay clicks annoys me too.
But I found something about it from apogee:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/Sym...structions.pdf
I suppose it's normal behaviour ... :(

Matt Hepworth 11-19-2017 03:26 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Are you guys ever experiencing system or PT hangs?

YYR123 11-19-2017 08:22 PM

So do the clicks change behavior?

Does it impede recording ?

Does it cause PT to hang?

I have found a good deal on one of these mk1 units and i want to use it as a 2nd io for my HD|N

Maro Records 11-20-2017 12:35 PM

No system or PT hangs. It's stable , but ... these clicks ...
I found that it's much better when Maestro is closed when using PT.

YYR123 11-20-2017 01:04 PM

I assume they can update the firmware to change this right?

How is Apogee’s service and support ?

Drew Mazurek 11-20-2017 01:51 PM

Just did some tests.

I only get relay clicking when launching PT, quitting PT, or opening sessions with different sample rate.

No clicking when inserting plugs or making tracks.

Matt Hepworth 11-20-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2460505)
I assume they can update the firmware to change this right?

How is Apogee’s service and support ?

Used to be awesome. Now they don't have phone support, but it's still okay.