Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Tuner (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309208)

Olly 10-17-2011 11:59 AM

Eleven Rack Tuner

I Stopped Taken My Eleven Rack To Gigs Because Of That Damm Tuner
I Used To Spend a 1/2 Hour Tuning UpWith It
It Only Takes Me 3 Mins With My Roland GP-100

Darryl Ramm 10-17-2011 12:06 PM

The Eleven Rack tuner works fine for many of us.

What ER firmware are you running? What guitar pickups? Going straight into the Eleven Rack? What exactly makes it taks so long to tune ?

Darryl

Benoni 10-17-2011 12:08 PM

Re: Eleven Rack Tuner

Tuner works fine for me as well. For guitar and bass - I tune down to Drop B and it works fine.

Deny 10-17-2011 12:24 PM

It's not the best tuner in the world, I'll give you that. But it's not the worst either, I can tune with it just fine. Also with all the amp modeling awesomeness, even if it was unusable I'd still take my 11R to gigs plus a floor or handheld tuner.

udamann88 10-17-2011 12:28 PM

Did a big gig w/ it & it worked w/ no problems at all..........Not the best...& not the worst tunner either......

Once my guitar adjusts to the temp of the room I'm playing in it stays in tune for a long, long time.....fwiw......

Side note: When you go to a gig or practice get your guitar(s) out 1st thing before you set-up ur other gear......Give them a chance to adjust to the temp in the room......Or maybe your guitar needs to see a tech......I hope you get this all worked out & back to using ur 11R.....:-)

skyko 10-17-2011 01:04 PM

... the only thing you may call it is too precise, but not bad!

Considering that the 11R is used for studio work too, I'd say that's a good thing. I want my recordings to be very accurately tuned.

For gigs, I'd anyway take a stompbox tuner that mutes the signal during tuning!

moff 10-17-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udamann88 (Post 1844980)
Side note: When you go to a gig or practice get your guitar(s) out 1st thing before you set-up ur other gear......Give them a chance to adjust to the temp in the room...:-)

Unless it's winter, and your guitars have been travelling in the back of an unheated truck\van for a while. If you open your case too soon, the sudden change in temp WILL cause finish cracking :eek:. I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago. If that is the case, leave them unopened for about an hour, so the can slowly adjust. But if you're just bringing them in from a heated car, you should be OK opening right away.

Regarding the OP - The tuner in the 11R is fine - as accurate as a Boss TU or Korg - maybe more so. I have mine set up to mute when it's in use, and activate it from my GCP. Also, don't forget that a guitar can never be perfectly in tune; that's just the nature of the instrument.

cessnapilot 10-17-2011 03:00 PM

All tuners do is make me realize how unstable all my guitars are.

Random Dude 10-17-2011 03:27 PM

I'm kind of picky about tuners, but it's far from bad. It's not the best thing ever, but it's more than usable. I wouldn't do a setup and intonation with it unless I was desperate or had nothing better, but beyond that....

I will say one thing though that I learned a long time ago if you are having trouble with a tuner that seems like it just won't settle down. First use the neck pickup by itself and then roll the tone all the way off so that it sounds nice and muddy. What this does is eliminate a lot of the harmonic content (the same stuff that makes a lot of those pickups sound so great). If you've got a lot of extra "character" in there it can confuse the tuner. But if you send a nice strong, fundamental frequency it works a lot better.

Try it. It's not my tip, I stole it somewhere and can't remember or I'd give credit.

zedhed 10-18-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olly (Post 1844965)
I Stopped Taken My Eleven Rack To Gigs Because Of That Damm Tuner
I Used To Spend a 1/2 Hour Tuning UpWith It
It Only Takes Me 3 Mins With My Roland GP-100

Dude there's always the good ol fashioned way of tuning...you know those things on each side of your head, takes about 30 seconds :rolleyes: