Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   What am I doing Wrong - Midi Controller Oxygen49 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404759)

ricoj175 05-16-2019 11:40 AM

What am I doing Wrong - Midi Controller Oxygen49

I am a pro tools rookie. I just purchased a used M-Audio Oxygen49 and I am having issues getting it to work with Pro-Tools. I followed the instructions to set it up through the peripherals. The computer is reading it, because I was able to get the transport function to work and at one point, it would display the chord in the transport area when I would play it. But when I select to use it as an instrument track, and insert one of the software instruments (xpand2), nothing happens. There is no input. Is there something I am not selecting somewhere or something I am not doing right? The keyboard works, I plugged it into my work mac and it works great in garageband.

crizdee 05-17-2019 03:33 AM

Re: What am I doing Wrong - Midi Controller Oxygen49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricoj175 (Post 2526047)
I am a pro tools rookie. I just purchased a used M-Audio Oxygen49 and I am having issues getting it to work with Pro-Tools. I followed the instructions to set it up through the peripherals. The computer is reading it, because I was able to get the transport function to work and at one point, it would display the chord in the transport area when I would play it. But when I select to use it as an instrument track, and insert one of the software instruments (xpand2), nothing happens. There is no input. Is there something I am not selecting somewhere or something I am not doing right? The keyboard works, I plugged it into my work mac and it works great in garageband.

Hi,

Make sure you're instrument track is set to view "instrument" in the edit window. (Theres a small pull down menu where you select what to view? inputs/outputs/sends etc.) with instrument viewable then you'll have a midi input selection box. usually defaults to ALL but see if you can select the oxygen in this midi input menu. if its not showing then you'll need to go to the audio/midi setup in the mac settings and make sure its showing there and active and available as a midi device.

Chris

musicman691 05-17-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2526137)
Hi,

Make sure you're instrument track is set to view "instrument" in the edit window. (There's a small pull down menu where you select what to view? inputs/outputs/sends etc.) with instrument viewable then you'll have a midi input selection box. usually defaults to ALL but see if you can select the oxygen in this midi input menu. If it's not showing then you'll need to go to the audio/midi setup in the mac settings and make sure it's showing there and active and available as a midi device.

Chris

Also make sure that in the MIDI tab in PT preferences that 'use first selected track' is checked.

RichrdC 10-15-2019 04:51 PM

I have the Silver Oxygen 49. I've read on anther post that it is not compatible with newer ProTools versions.. I've got the Pro Tools 2018.4 on a Lenovo laptop, 16 gig, iCon Qcon Pro X control board & an MBox 3 input. I can't seem to get PT to see the keyboard. All I really want is the keyboard as the midi control. If this older Oxygen 49 is in fact not compatible anymore, is there a way to disable all the bells and whistles to turn it into just a midi keyboard? Or, any thoughts on a midi controller that's pretty stripped down, since I'm just looking for midi control.. ? Thanks everyone.

musicman691 10-15-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichrdC (Post 2541400)
I have the Silver Oxygen 49. I've read on anther post that it is not compatible with newer ProTools versions.. I've got the Pro Tools 2018.4 on a Lenovo laptop, 16 gig, iCon Qcon Pro X control board & an MBox 3 input. I can't seem to get PT to see the keyboard. All I really want is the keyboard as the midi control. If this older Oxygen 49 is in fact not compatible anymore, is there a way to disable all the bells and whistles to turn it into just a midi keyboard? Or, any thoughts on a midi controller that's pretty stripped down, since I'm just looking for midi control.. ? Thanks everyone.

What exactly do you want to do with the keyboard - enter MIDI notes, use the controls to control stuff inside PT or what? What operating system are you using and exactly how is the keyboard connected to the computer?

RichrdC 10-15-2019 07:29 PM

Yes basically enter MIDI notes, XPAND2 comes to mind and anything involved in using that plug etc.. Windows 10 , keyboard connected to a powered USB hub...

musicman691 10-16-2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichrdC (Post 2541408)
Yes basically enter MIDI notes, XPAND2 comes to mind and anything involved in using that plug etc.. Windows 10 , keyboard connected to a powered USB hub...

Then the keyboard should work if it's class compliant. Get the free utility MIDI-OX and use it to see if MIDI is even getting to the computer and what messages the keyboard is putting out. On the computer make sure you have all power savings measures for the USB ports turned off as Windows sets them by default to turn off after a certain amount of time.

And make sure the keyboard and vi's are talking on the same MIDI channel.

RichrdC 10-17-2019 09:30 AM

So I went into the peripherals drop down and entered in the Oxygen 49 info, and the keyboard sprang to life..

albee1952 10-19-2019 04:47 AM

It may also need to be configured in Pro Tools. Go to Hardware menu(I think)>MIdi>MIdi Studio. In this window, create an "Instrument"(name, brand and model are not required) and set the incoming path(so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi info. It will probably be something like Oxygen49 on USB[Emulated]. This is how its done on PC ut I'm not sure if Mac works the same.

musicman691 10-19-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2541853)
It may also need to be configured in Pro Tools. Go to Hardware menu(I think)>MIdi>MIdi Studio. In this window, create an "Instrument"(name, brand and model are not required) and set the incoming path(so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi info. It will probably be something like Oxygen49 on USB[Emulated]. This is how its done on PC but I'm not sure if Mac works the same.

On a Mac:
For anything other than using the slider controls and knobs on the Oxygen 49 (I have one as a backup keyboard) you don't have to do anything inside PT as to configuration. You do have to declare it in OSX audio/MIDI setup though. Can't speak to using the knobs and sliders as controllers but suspect you have to do some configuration in PT's controller setup.