Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Software monitoring and UAD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351918)

mesaone 03-07-2014 09:29 AM

Re: Software monitoring and UAD

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillytheB (Post 2138423)
Wow! Where was this tip when I was trying to figure this out a few months ago. Better late than never. Fantastic!

Yeah... I had been using Pro Tools for years before I figured out that there was a way to unlink the faders, and it had been staring me in the face the whole time!

BillytheB 03-08-2014 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2138555)
Yeah... I had been using Pro Tools for years before I figured out that there was a way to unlink the faders, and it had been staring me in the face the whole time!

Is this an HD only feature? I took a quick look tonight when I was at work and couldn't find it. I'm on a native system.

The Weed 03-08-2014 10:53 AM

Under Setup>Preferences

Cheers,

BillytheB 03-09-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2138881)
Under Setup>Preferences

Cheers,

Awesome to know this information now. It has been the single issue I've complained about to my colleagues regarding my workflow using a console and adapting to Pro Tools. All I ever found on the topic was "can't get there from here" type answers.

Specifically it's Setup | Preferences | Operation tab | Record section, third check box down - Link Record and Play Faders

Brilliant!

mesaone 03-09-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillytheB (Post 2139161)
Specifically it's Setup | Preferences | Operation tab | Record section, third check box down - Link Record and Play Faders

Brilliant!

I really wish there was an option to set default recording levels globally. That way you could specify that you want all record faders to default to -inf, and not have to change them manually.

Although I suspect its almost as easy just to record-arm all tracks, activate the ALL group, drag a fader down, then deactivate the ALL group.

Dannykoz 04-19-2017 10:44 PM

I am using a headphone mix so I just put the send volume to zero. That way i don't have to unmute to listen on the monitors.

chrismeraz 03-08-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2138282)
Un-check "Link Record and Play Faders" in preferences, and then turn the record fader down.[/LIST]

Absolute genius, I can't wait to try it! :eek:

chrismeraz 03-09-2018 12:17 AM

I tried it last night. This works great for an individual track punch - the musician hears his live performance during pre-roll, punch, and post-roll, all without any latency (because we're monitoring the live performance through Apollo Console). He can hear all of the other pre-recorded, non-rec-armed tracks throughout as well. The musician does not hear anything that was recorded previously on the rec-armed tracks that he is punching into.

This is fine for an individual punch, but it won't work at all if we're doing a band punch - there would be no pre-recorded tracks audible to sync to.

How do you guys do a band punch with Pro Tools Native?

chrismeraz 03-10-2018 08:03 AM

Well, I found an easy way to do band punch with Console.

1. Duplicate all tracks
2. Record-arm the new tracks (don't forget to bring the recording fader all the way down on the new tracks, or you'll hear a doubled signal with the Console inputs)
3. Make your selection for the punch
4. Record!