Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   HD Native disappearing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399578)

stevegalante 06-05-2018 06:26 AM

HD Native disappearing

PT 12.5 HD on Macpro 5,1 running El Capitan with a PCI HD Native card.
When I boot my Mac sometimes my HD Native just disappears from the "output device" or Audio Midi setup. Can't find the reason.
Digitest is fine.
Sometimes I have to reinstall the HD drivers to make it reappear.
Is there any procedure to kind of reset it and try to make it reappear without reinstalling the drivers and rebooting the machine ?
Interface is a Lynx Aurora(n).
Thanks

albee1952 06-05-2018 09:30 AM

Re: HD Native disappearing

To me, this sounds like a bad connection somewhere. So, after shutting everything down, I would open the tower, pull the card, clean the edge connector and re-install. Then I would unplug>replug both ends of the digilink cable several times. I would also use a can of compressed air to blow out the PCIe slot and the connector slots in case things are dusty.

stevegalante 06-05-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2490517)
To me, this sounds like a bad connection somewhere. So, after shutting everything down, I would open the tower, pull the card, clean the edge connector and re-install. Then I would unplug>replug both ends of the digilink cable several times. I would also use a can of compressed air to blow out the PCIe slot and the connector slots in case things are dusty.

I'll try this... forgot to mention my Digilink cable is 50ft long. Thanks

BScout 06-05-2018 09:56 PM

What sample rate are you running?

stevegalante 06-06-2018 04:03 AM

Usually 44 or 96, rarely 48 or 88, never higher than 96

musicman691 06-06-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2490517)

To this I would add get some Caig Deoxit to clean the contacts. Works better than using isopropyl alcohol.

stevegalante 06-06-2018 05:36 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, but do you know if there's any procedure to force my Mac to rescan for an HD native (besides rebooting or reinstalling HD drivers, etc.) ?

YYR123 06-06-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevegalante (Post 2490630)
Thanks for your suggestions, but do you know if there's any procedure to force my Mac to rescan for an HD native (besides rebooting or reinstalling HD drivers, etc.) ?

The about this Mac system profiler, is it there?

stevegalante 06-06-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2490658)
The about this Mac system profiler, is it there?

Never checked when it disappears... but I will as soon as it happens again

YYR123 06-12-2018 01:03 PM

Inquiring minds want to know........what happened Steve?