Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but cr (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321072)

sonixstudio 04-13-2012 04:25 AM

Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but cr

Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but crashs my computer way to much

matt-o- 04-13-2012 09:08 AM

Re: Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM bu

this one?

http://www.masseyplugins.com/#plugins/drt

audioluche 04-13-2012 09:14 AM

Re: Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM bu

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt-o- (Post 1921605)

Yep!

V2 looks awsome!

Shan 04-15-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonixstudio (Post 1921538)
Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but crashs my computer way to much

DRT v2 and Trigger.

Shane

WernerF 04-15-2012 07:26 AM

DRT to print audio clicks to use to sample accurately trigger Trigger. You have to get in there and fine tune the transient detection points in DRT though. If you go through and zoom in on them one by one you will see that about 30% of them are a bit off.

Also, there aren't any DSP drum replacers. They are all Native.

janmuths 04-15-2012 09:52 PM

Well, you specifically asked for native or DSP, which rules out AudioSuite. If there is no particular reason to use real-time (such as live sound etc) I'd suggest the good ol' AudioSuite Digi SoundReplacer. To my ears, it is the most accurate tool I've found so far. Particularly regarding critical timing and ease of use.

Pls disregard my post if AudioSuite is not an option.

WernerF 04-16-2012 04:19 PM

SoundReplacer is not very accurate at all! If you zoom in and check each sample against the original drum you will find many miss triggers and inaccurate transient placement. It also doesn't play multiple velocity layers or never repeat the same sample twice in a row. These are all things that any present day replacement can, and should be able to, do. If a drum replacement plugin can't do at least that it will sound fake as all heck.

janmuths 04-17-2012 04:22 PM

Hi WernerF, I usually use SoundReplacer to add to the original, rather than replacing. When blended together carefully, using the same sample repeatedly doesn't seem to make the result sound 'fake' to my ears. As for phase accuracy, I usually check original and processed sound panned hard L / R on headphones. Audible shift rarely occur with the threshold set carefully.

Ages ago, I used Logic's 'Audio to Score' function to generate midi data which then needed to be conformed to the right note value and scaled in velocity in order to trigger a VI sampler successfully. A hell lot of work. Compared to these days, the SoundReplacer is dramatically more accurate and a much faster workflow. Love it for it's simplicity.

However, I am very curious to try the DRT. Am open to new ideas and willing to convert. Bought some other Massey stuff, it is great! Just watched the DTR videos. Am particularly excited about the workspace drag-n-drop stuff. Something I always missed in SoundReplacer.

Am looking forward to learn how it measures up regarding ease-of-use and accuracy. Downloading the demo now.

Cheers, J.

WernerF 04-17-2012 06:20 PM

Hi J, DRT and Trigger are both way more accurate and realistic sounding than SoundReplacer. They are also much more tweekable. In DRT you can fine tune the transient placement, add or remove a detection point and adjust the velocity level of any detected hit.

I also just add and blend, but the point is that the more realistic the added sample's are the better the final result. I think that if you zoomed in on the added samples from Soundreplacer, at the sample level, you'd be quite suprised at what you see.

janmuths 04-25-2012 11:57 PM

Thanks Werner. Bought DRT a couple of days ago, still learning my way around but doesn't seem to be too difficult. Love the drag-n-drop from workspace, love how it scales the view with the edit selection. Will use it in an album that I'm currently mixing. Kick, snare and hats were recorded poorly and need serious sound-replacing. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for the tip!

Jan