Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Is there an "Add to Movie" option in QuickTime 10? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405696)

Eric Lambert 07-20-2019 11:18 AM

Is there an "Add to Movie" option in QuickTime 10?

We often take video files that were sent by clients and replace the audio with our music after it's been composed. In QuickTime 7 Pro, there was the "Add to Movie" function, which essentially did what I'm describing above. Hit Option-Command-V and it would paste into the movie. QuickTime 10 Pro (at least 5 years ago) wouldn't allow this.

Does it now? If not, how are people going about this simple task of marrying audio back to video files?

climber 07-20-2019 01:12 PM

Re: Is there an "Add to Movie" option in QuickTime 10?

not that I've found, and I was looking a few days ago. I ended up using iMovie for that task. I have FCX but it's overkill.

Meads 07-20-2019 03:02 PM

Worst case you could do an offline quicktime bounce from within PT.

DetroitT 07-20-2019 03:17 PM

QuickTime 7 Pro still works in macOS 10.14.5
(If you have it and the Pro license)
A while back it moved and is now located in "Utilities"

Just drag it there from an older boot drive.

Is QuickTime X Pro even available yet?

Eric Lambert 07-20-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2533285)
QuickTime 7 Pro still works in macOS 10.14.5

I know (we've been using it exclusively since it was released, never moving to X precisely because there's no Pro version), but with Catalina already in beta I'm starting to look for alternatives for the day that 32-bit apps are gone.

Eric Lambert 07-21-2019 11:19 AM

It appears that QT-X does have the ability to layer audio (by dragging an audio file into the preview window of a video file) but I don't see a way to remove the original audio. That's essential in this equation.

Cheesehead 07-21-2019 11:41 AM

I'm using FFWorks as a front end for FFmpeg.
It can add and delete audio and a whole lot more. Add stereo or surround audio etc etc.

Really fast encoding too.

Its a bit of a hassle to get going as you have to download an FFmpeg binary, but it works great and is constantly updated and improved.

Eric Lambert 07-21-2019 12:41 PM

I have FF Works and agree that it's a bit too cumbersome to work with for this purpose. We really just need a simple interface capable of deleting one audio track and inserting another. Since we often deal with 15+ different music tracks, quickness is key. Ironically, "Quick"Time is no longer that option.

QT 10 is so close to being that solution, I just don't see a way to delete the original audio from a video clip.

climber 07-21-2019 02:16 PM

if you have a recent Mac, you have iMovie.

Eric Lambert 07-21-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climber (Post 2533353)
if you have a recent Mac, you have iMovie.

We do, but iMovie takes more time to create custom composites than FF Works.