Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=317102)

sfere1 02-08-2012 12:56 PM

Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

For the love of God or the higher power of your choice why? OH WHY? is there not an option in preferences for hardware record latency offsets? If you have a 3rd party converter and PT has no way of compensating for the unknown round trip latency that occurs then why sell me a native solution? I just tried to record a track out of a direct out of my IZ Ada converter back into an input and saw that my track was 90 samples late with delay comp off. Funny thing...i turn delay comp on and it gets later. Has no one even noticed this? Sliding every newly recorded track or sliding the track to record is not even a consideration. I mean the competitor that I cross-graded from (Nuendo) has this....why not PT? Can someone from support chime in on this?

Thanks
Dennis Ferrer

CME 02-08-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfere1 (Post 1899339)
For the love of God or the higher power of your choice why? OH WHY? is there not an option in preferences for hardware record latency offsets? If you have a 3rd party converter and PT has no way of compensating for the unknown round trip latency that occurs then why sell me a native solution? I just tried to record a track out of a direct out of my IZ Ada converter back into an input and saw that my track was 90 samples late with delay comp off. Funny thing...i turn delay comp on and it gets later. Has no one even noticed this? Sliding every newly recorded track or sliding the track to record is not even a consideration. I mean the competitor that I cross-graded from (Nuendo) has this....why not PT? Can someone from support chime in on this?

Thanks
Dennis Ferrer

In I/O settings. There is a tab to set the latency. It doesn't do it for you automatically. But it can be done. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfere1 02-08-2012 08:23 PM

Re: Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CME (Post 1899358)
In I/O settings. There is a tab to set the latency. It doesn't do it for you automatically. But it can be done. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAIT...but isn't that hardware i/o latency tab used for ONLY adjusting the latency incurred while using an external hardware device being used as an insert effect? It couldn't be that easy could it? could it also be used to offset the latency incurred by your 3rd party device? Also this would only work with Delay Compensation turned on...which Digi states should be turned off when recording..rendering the option your stating useless.....see how this doesn't add up?

Dennis

sfere1 02-09-2012 01:07 PM

bump

Carl Lie 02-09-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfere1 (Post 1899521)
WAIT...but isn't that hardware i/o latency tab used for ONLY adjusting the latency incurred while using an external hardware device being used as an insert effect? It couldn't be that easy could it? could it also be used to offset the latency incurred by your 3rd party device? Also this would only work with Delay Compensation turned on...which Digi states should be turned off when recording..rendering the option your stating useless.....see how this doesn't add up?

Dennis

Did you try setting it and see what happens?

C

TOM@METRO 02-09-2012 05:46 PM

The hardware latency settings have never worked for setting record latency for any of the 3rd party interfaces I have tried.
I usually just nudge the file by the number of offending samples, usually only about 40 or 50.

Top Jimmy 02-09-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfere1 (Post 1899339)

Welcome to Avidland. Check your DAWpinion at the DUC login. Violators will be perscuted with farts sent in your general direction.:-)

Besides, many of us malingerers here have pointed weaknesses like this out over the years. See where it has gotten us?:(

You can try adding your vote here. http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ion/17518-3779
This idea was proffered even before Native and HDX were announced.

sfere1 02-09-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1899939)
Welcome to Avidland. Check your DAWpinion at the DUC login. Violators will be perscuted with farts sent in your general direction.:-)

Besides, many of us malingerers here have pointed weaknesses like this out over the years. See where it has gotten us?:(

You can try adding your vote here. http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ion/17518-3779
This idea was proffered even before Native and HDX were announced.

What's killing me is that everyone on here acts like this is no big deal....I'm at a loss...I mean this happens with any other DAW and it would've been a mutiny at hand. Published reports in the trade rags and all. To top it all off how do all the other "big-time" users act like nothing's wrong? hmmmm

so wait....does anyone know if this occurs with HDX and "their" hardware like the new HD I/O? can anyone verify? And if this native solution offering is "flawed" then who dropped the ball and wouldn't this constitute a bit of false advertising?

thinkin' out loud here...

thanks

Dennis

Top Jimmy 02-09-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfere1 (Post 1899965)
What's killing me is that everyone on here acts like this is no big deal....I'm at a loss...I mean this happens with any other DAW and it would've been a mutiny at hand. Published reports in the trade rags and all. To top it all off how do all the other "big-time" users act like nothing's wrong? hmmmm

Well, nothing's wrong as long as you use Avid branded interfaces. That has always been the unspoken party line.:eek:

TOM@METRO 02-09-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfere1 (Post 1899965)
What's killing me is that everyone on here acts like this is no big deal....I'm at a loss...

Dennis

It's not that it's "no big deal", it's just that it's the way it is. This is the minor downside of using some 3rd party interfaces with Pro Tools. Fortunately, the workaround only takes a few seconds per track. In the case of the MOTU 24 I/O, it's about a millisecond, usually not that noticeable for most overdubs. Of course the HD Native card is a better choice for critical recording.