Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help with glitchy popping clicking sound in ProTools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=281988)

ffud 09-13-2010 03:55 AM

Help with glitchy popping clicking sound in ProTools

I just installed ProTools 8.0.4 on my new computer. When I try to record anything I get glitchy popping clicking sound. I think it sounds similar or the the same as when the bit rate or clock sync is messed up, but I tried to investigate that and it seems like everything is in order. (However, I'm pretty new to this so if someone can point out how to check this for sure that would be cool)

I'm using an Mbox 2. With my old computer I had LE 7.4 with the same mbox, but my new machine is Windows 7 so I upgraded. For a couple days I was running 7.4 on my new machine (I found a registry patch that kinda made it work but it was SUPER unstable and kept crashing) Because I had 7.4 it working for a bit I think hardware related problems can be ruled out.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this unwanted annoying sound?

Thanks

spkguitar 09-13-2010 09:32 AM

Re: Help with glitchy popping clicking sound in ProTools

How are you connecting the MBox 2?

Also, did you do a clean OS installation after trying 7.4? If not, the "patch" that you did might be screwing everything up.

For the record, I had similar issues with the MBox 2 Mini (same general interface, just less features) and changing the USB port that it was plugged into solved the problem for me.

Also, you need to make sure that Windows is not set to power down the USB devices.

itsjedward 09-13-2010 10:18 AM

I have a similar problem still. I talked to someone at guitar center and he said that if it's a constant buzzing/clicking sound then its a hardware problem (i.e.: headphones, audio interface, midi controller,) rather than a software thing.
my problem is that i hear the clicks and buzzes only when i try to play a virtual instrument. i posted my problem on the site too. good luck man..this gets frustrating..

ffud 09-13-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkguitar (Post 1667205)
How are you connecting the MBox 2?

Also, did you do a clean OS installation after trying 7.4? If not, the "patch" that you did might be screwing everything up.

For the record, I had similar issues with the MBox 2 Mini (same general interface, just less features) and changing the USB port that it was plugged into solved the problem for me.

Also, you need to make sure that Windows is not set to power down the USB devices.

It's going into my laptop through my dock connector (which to the best of my knowledge acts like more on board ports not a usb hub. but trying through a on board port is on my to try list)

Yup did the clean OS install. But then it looks like I forgot to make that usb power setting change. I'll try those. thanks.

spkguitar 09-13-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffud (Post 1667377)
It's going into my laptop through my dock connector (which to the best of my knowledge acts like more on board ports not a usb hub. but trying through a on board port is on my to try list)

Yes, that would be my first suggestion. The Avid USB devices are usually very finicky with regards to connectivity.

ffud 09-13-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkguitar (Post 1667385)
Yes, that would be my first suggestion. The Avid USB devices are usually very finicky with regards to connectivity.

just tried that no difference than through the dock. Also went through the system optimizations again and had no more luck.

ffud 09-13-2010 03:24 PM

It also maybe kinda sounds like cell phone interference I just realized. Has anyone ever experienced that before?

ffud 09-13-2010 05:28 PM

so i've tried each usb port on my computer and dock. there doesnt seem to be a difference between the two. BUT when I tried using the usb 3.0 port on my dock it would be click free and then just cut out entirely and bounce back and forth between the two. Since when that was working it sounded good that makes me think maybe it is a usb problem. What can I do to fix a usb problem other than trying other ports and disabling the power management feature?

ffud 09-14-2010 01:02 PM

bump.

emilio borges 07-17-2017 06:30 AM

Hi, guys. Sorry for opening topic, but, It can be usefull.
I've been facing this problem for some days and now I'm sure that is caused by a bad hard drive. I just took it out and everything is working fine again.

Thanks!