Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Go To Timecode - but somehow offset?? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405736)

kkfaudio 07-24-2019 01:28 PM

Go To Timecode - but somehow offset??

Not exactly sure how to explain this.

Sometimes while navigating around a session using "*" + timecode entry, I end up with a random offset. ie, I'll type *01200101 and end up @ 02122425.

I usually discover this after trying to enter a timecode and finding out I missed the "*" and then it happens.

In the end restarting will clear it.. (not sure if just re-opening the session clears it)

Have I created an offset somehow, with some sort of shortcut? I sort of remember there being some options available, but searching the manual isn't bringing any clarity...

Anyhow - just a PITA when running back through a show with client notes and I can't type in the correct location...

Thanks in advance...

TVPostSound 07-24-2019 03:17 PM

Re: Go To Timecode - but somehow offset??

Ive had this for years.

Subscribed for answer!!

Frank Kruse 07-26-2019 06:07 AM

Personally I've never had this and I use this function constantly but maybe you're accidentally hitting "+" or "-" after the "*" key which will turn it into a pocket calculator adding or subtracting the value you type to the current parking position? When you then hit enter PT will jump to the resulting TC not to the value you entered. Just a thought.

BScout 07-26-2019 01:20 PM

Haven't ever had this issue. Use this a lot too for years.

kkfaudio 07-26-2019 03:12 PM

That’s a distinct possibility.
And “turning it into a calculator “ is something I think I’ve heard of before and one of those “options” I was thinking about in my original post.

I’m off for a week camping with the family so will attempt some troubleshooting when I get back..

Thanks for the suggestion!

Have a great weekend everyone

Kevin

kkfaudio 08-06-2019 08:48 AM

Okay - playing around with this and here's what I've found:

If I hit * then either - or + 2 times, (ie -- or ++) afterwards any location I try to type in such as *(any timecode location) takes me to 02:03:40:00.

Any number added after -- or ++ is irrelevant: I can leave it @ 00:00:00:00 or not, the next *(timecode) takes me to 02:03:40:00.

FWIW, session start is 00:58:40:00, 23.98. I'll maybe try with other session starts and frame rates some other time, but 9 times out of 10 this is how my show is set up.

Re-opening the session clears this glitch.

So far the secret is don't double hit the - key.;)

Frank Kruse 08-07-2019 02:18 AM

Can't confirm. Over here it makes no difference if I press + then the TC or ++ and the TC. The result is always the same and takes the entered value into account correctly.

Pete Gates 08-07-2019 04:05 AM

I dimly remember having this problem years ago and I think it was when I had a really long timeline. It definitely wasn’t an issue of pressing the wrong buttons, was reproducible.

Pete

Frank Kruse 08-07-2019 05:57 AM

My timeline is 24 hours at the moment and I have a full episode at every hour. Maybe it only happens when you *don't* start your timeline at 00:00:00:00?

Pete Gates 08-07-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 2534817)
My timeline is 24 hours at the moment and I have a full episode at every hour. Maybe it only happens when you *don't* start your timeline at 00:00:00:00?

Could be, I only remember having it in one session but it was several years ago. I don't think I still have the session, so could've been anything, maybe even a slightly corrupted session.

Pete