Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384591)

Basstian 09-28-2016 12:54 PM

Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper

Did not update yet, but after reading the release notes I guess I am stuck with 12.5.2 for now.

Additional Editing Improvements

Fine breakpoint adjustment now requires Shift+Command (Mac) or Shift+Control (Windows) keys and adjustment is constrained vertically.

How should that make an improvement? I use the fine adjustment (holding down the commend key) thousands of times a day while editing dialog adjusting the clip gain. Without the fine "commend" key the range is always too big and you have to readjust too often.

Adding another key will be very uncomfortable, but you might get used to it.
But constraining the adjustment vertically renders it completely useless for dialog work, because a "free repositioning" of the breakpoint is one of the keyfeatures with clip gain.

this is a real showstopper. I could not see how this could be an improvement and who might want this kind of behaviour and additional key.

Pete Gates 09-28-2016 01:01 PM

Re: Fine Adjustment 12.6 = Showstopper

Still works the same (as in same as it always used to work) in setting clip gain - just tried it.

I almost never use the mouse for clip gain, tend to use Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down arrow.

Pete

Basstian 09-28-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Gates (Post 2384372)
Still works the same (as in same as it always used to work) in setting clip gain - just tried it.

I almost never use the mouse for clip gain, tend to use Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down arrow.

Pete

Do you speak of clip gain breakpoints?

I nearly never use the "general" clip gain, but a lot of individual points on the clip gain line of a clip. And I understand the release note in that way, that editing breakpoint just does not work like before anymore.

connor@@vid 09-28-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Gates (Post 2384372)

Pete

Basstian 09-28-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basstian (Post 2384373)
Do you speak of clip gain breakpoints?

I nearly never use the "general" clip gain, but a lot of individual points on the clip gain line of a clip. And I understand the release note in that way, that editing breakpoint just does not work like before anymore.

Pete Gates 09-28-2016 01:18 PM

Ah I see, just tried it and you DO have to hold shift too now - sorry to be the bearer of irritating news!

Pete

Shan 09-28-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basstian (Post 2384362)
this is a real showstopper. I could not see how this could be an improvement and who might want this kind of behaviour and additional key.

+1. Pro Tools has always been known for it's unified editing experience throughout the entire program. That's what made it Pro Tools back in the day. This just makes things very messy, and doesn't just impact post production. Many of the controls throughout the UI now have two fine control commands now. Why? Who at Avid signed off on this and thought it was a good thing?

I guess this was another top 10 Idea Scale request.

Shane

Basstian 09-28-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Gates (Post 2384388)
Ah I see, just tried it and you DO have to hold shift too now - sorry to be the bearer of irritating news!

Pete

and if you hold shift + command it is locked vertically?

Pete Gates 09-28-2016 01:38 PM

Yes

Basstian 09-28-2016 01:45 PM

ok. this makes 12.6 useless. only vertical fine adjustment. and different modifierers tor fine adjustment in different tasks

who is deciding stuff like that?