Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oh no, they removed my favourite undocumented trick!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407059)

Frank Kruse 11-06-2019 01:48 AM

Oh no, they removed my favourite undocumented trick!!

I just realised that AVID have removed my favourite undocumented function. It was in there since at least PT5 and saved frustrating moments every day. And it worked up to 2019.6 but now it's gone in 19.10.

This:
When you accidentally hit return and your cursor jumps to start of the session and you wanted to jump back to where you where and didn't have a selection before you did that a cool way to jump back was to option-click onto the thin line between the wave-form bigger/smaller and the track bigger/smaller buttons on the top left of the edit window. After that you had to click into the timeline once before hitting play otherwise you'd be taken back to 00:00:00:00 so it only worked once. But it was a great trick.

Super-strange feature and I don't remember who discovered it decades ago.

In 2019.10 they seem to have "fixed" it and now it's gone!

:(

Why AVID?!

Meads 11-06-2019 03:31 AM

Re: Oh no, they removed my favourite undocumented trick!!

Haha, didn't know that one.
What I always do is hit cmd+z then shift+cmd+z.

Cmd+z (undo) jumps back to were you last made and edit and, well, undoes it. But since you probably don't want to undo, shift+cmd+z does a redo. So then you're back to where you need to be.
And I assume that even works more quickly than your secret agent method, since it's just two keystrokes. :cool:

Frank Kruse 11-06-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2543734)
Haha, didn't know that one.
What I always do is hit cmd+z then shift+cmd+z.

Cmd+z (undo) jumps back to were you last made and edit and, well, undoes it. But since you probably don't want to undo, shift+cmd+z does a redo. So then you're back to where you need to be.
And I assume that even works more quickly than your secret agent method, since it's just two keystrokes. :cool:

Yeah that or "restore last selection" via Eucon but both assume you actually had a selection or did something where you last where.
The old trick was just so bizarre and helpful.

I will miss it. Might be my first request to bring back what might have been considered a bug.

:(

Ryan Young 11-06-2019 07:50 PM

I use cmd+opt+z often and it does the "restore last selection" feature even if you have no selection and just a location.

Meads 11-06-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 2543790)
I use cmd+opt+z often and it does the "restore last selection" feature even if you have no selection and just a location.

You're right, that's awesome! Hero of the day award!

Frank Kruse 11-07-2019 02:39 AM

Nice one, thanks!