Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Choppy panning in half-speed mode (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411255)

kava 07-23-2020 03:46 AM

Choppy panning in half-speed mode

Hi,

I see and hear very choppy / fragmented automation written to the timeline
when panning with the s6, while protools is in half-speed playback mode (Shift-Space)

happens only on larger format tracks involving height (atmos, 7.1.2, 7.0.2, etc..)

PT 2020.3 and .5

S6 Version 19 and newly updated 20.6

anybody else?

creativecontrol 07-23-2020 06:20 AM

Re: Choppy panning in half-speed mode

Greetings,

Can you let us know the specs of your primary workstation and OS version please?

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kava 08-05-2020 02:02 PM

hi jeff,

i‘m still on sierra 10.12.6 with PT 2020.5 on a trashcan 2013 macpro.
eucon workstation and s6 on latest version (20.6).

will try to post a screenshot of the automation soon,

tom

kava 10-28-2020 08:05 AM

Hi Jeff,

I am on a new machine now,

Mac Pro 2019, 10.15.5,
PT 2020.9.
S6 + WS Control 20.6.1.3

I again have massive problems when panning half speed, especially Atmos, which I need very often. This is a real problem here. since I cannot check every automation pass visually on all automation lanes - but I sometimes "lose" the red dots under my fingers - like they won't follow my movement and the atmos objects start jumping in the dolby Monitoring application.

I attach a screen shot of an automation pass.

S6 is connected to a switch thats connected to the second Ethnernet port on the Mac Pro. Theres only my Penta 720 on that switch (Eucon Monitoring) no other network devices that could disturb.

greets thomas.

kava 10-28-2020 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres the screenshot:

kava 10-30-2020 05:28 AM

I've kind a found the problem.

If the pan link is activated and both pan-dots of a stereo track are touched the link is normally overruled and the dots can still be panned individually.

This does not work in 7.1+ panners -> the pan-points jump between the point that is touched on the screen and the "linked" position where it should go when only one side is touched. this happens always in half speed mode. and sometimes at normal playback tempo.

btw. why do I have to "catch" the pan point on the s6 touchscreen? why can't I just touch somewhere on the screen and the dot jumps there?

this is EXTREMELY annoying.

creativecontrol 10-31-2020 11:48 AM

I'll take a look at these behaviors over here shortly. Thanks.

Jeff

creativecontrol 11-01-2020 10:00 AM

Are you performing this from a Master Module or from a Joystick Module? If the Master Module, are you observing the touch circles around each of your fingers are red for the entirety of the automation pass?

Jeff

kava 11-02-2020 01:31 AM

Hi Jeff,

from the masters modules touch screen. they stay red all the time and have the second red ring around them. but it sometimes looks as if they "would travel behind", they lag, look delayed.