Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   trim tool question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400674)

joeydego 08-19-2018 12:18 PM

trim tool question

Protools question of the day. Why does the trim tool sometimes affect the entire track, and other times only affect the region the tool is over? This question applies to the edit window when an audio track is selected to read something other than waveform, such as volume, mute or pan.

cwsand 08-19-2018 10:41 PM

Re: trim tool question

I'm pretty sure that's by design. If I use the trim tool on a blank area of a track with no clips or automation, it raises or lowers the value for the entire track, but if I select an area over a clip, it changes the values only for the clip.

joeydego 08-22-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsand (Post 2497273)
I'm pretty sure that's by design. If I use the trim tool on a blank area of a track with no clips or automation, it raises or lowers the value for the entire track, but if I select an area over a clip, it changes the values only for the clip.

hmm, this has not been my experience. Over a clip, I've seen the trim tool behave both ways, causing frustration on my end because I now need to either use the grabber or selector tool first. There has to be some operation that causes the trim tool to behave one way or the other. Does anyone else have any ideas on this??

daeron80 08-22-2018 11:21 AM

The best way to make sure the whole track is affected evenly is to use the trim tool at the end of the track, beyond any clip or automation point. Anywhere else, you're likely to affect only part of the track, or to cause an unintentional angled line somewhere.

Apart from that, the rules are a bit obscure. You just have to watch carefully and see if it's doing what you want.

BScout 08-22-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeydego (Post 2497587)
hmm, this has not been my experience. Over a clip, I've seen the trim tool behave both ways, causing frustration on my end because I now need to either use the grabber or selector tool first. There has to be some operation that causes the trim tool to behave one way or the other. Does anyone else have any ideas on this??

Depends if there are breakpoints anywhere else in that track.

Easiest way is to get used to using the multi tool (so you can select and then trim.) If there are breakpoints within the selection, it will affect the section between breakpoints. If there are no breakpoints, then new breakpoints will be created at the selection start/beginning and everything in between will move evenly.

joeydego 08-23-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 2497592)
The best way to make sure the whole track is affected evenly is to use the trim tool at the end of the track, beyond any clip or automation point. Anywhere else, you're likely to affect only part of the track, or to cause an unintentional angled line somewhere.

Apart from that, the rules are a bit obscure. You just have to watch carefully and see if it's doing what you want.

There is nothing in the manual I found on this. I really wish they made this clearer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2497600)
Depends if there are breakpoints anywhere else in that track.

Easiest way is to get used to using the multi tool (so you can select and then trim.) If there are breakpoints within the selection, it will affect the section between breakpoints. If there are no breakpoints, then new breakpoints will be created at the selection start/beginning and everything in between will move evenly.

I like the smart tool. Only issue there is as you know if you're a few pixels off, it changes to what you dont want it to be.

daeron80 08-27-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeydego (Post 2497682)
There is nothing in the manual I found on this. I really wish they made this clearer.

Not to mention that it changes a bit every few versions. They like to keep us on our toes.

The Weed 08-27-2018 04:43 PM

Make the track your editing in larger so you have more room to move the cursor before it changes. There is a setting that will enlarge the track you're in and make the other tracks smaller, but I'm not at PT right now and can't remember what it is.