Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Two aggregated interfaces plus two ADATs. Is it possible? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399199)

miawallace 05-14-2018 05:19 PM

Two aggregated interfaces plus two ADATs. Is it possible?

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have an aggregate device with two interfaces which both have two ADATs connected to them?

So I would have an Apollo Twin with a Behringer ADA8200 connected via light pipe, aggregated to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with a Presonus DigiMax LT 8 connected via light pipe?

Thanks!

Darryl Ramm 05-14-2018 05:40 PM

Two aggregated interfaces plus two ADATs. Is it possible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by miawallace (Post 2488264)
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have an aggregate device with two interfaces which both have two ADATs connected to them?
So I would have an Apollo Twin with a Behringer ADA8200 connected via light pipe, aggregated to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with a Presonus DigiMax LT 8 connected via light pipe?

Thanks!

Pro Tools has a maximum of 32 inputs and outputs via CoreAudio. Are you aiming for below that limit? If you need more on Pro Tools you need Pro Tools Ultimate and a Digilink interface (which may have ADAT units hung off it).
ADAT largely makes no difference to aggregation, its providing data to the interface that is already there. More total throughput might maybe cause your Mac some headaches if things are already marginal.
Aggregation is not guaranteed to work, is highly dependent on the quality of drivers for the interfaces, and not officially supported by Avid for aggregating interfaced with the exception of aggregating an interface with Built-In Output.
It is better to clock lock the aggregated interfaced if that is possible, which it's not with your setup.
So you are really your own and need to do your own testing.
A much better way to go if ADAT to a single interface is not enough is to say look at multi-unit cascading UAD Thunderbolt interfaces, or other vendors Thunderbolt interfaces

skizzo 05-16-2018 10:17 AM

Re: Two aggregated interfaces plus two ADATs. Is it possible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by miawallace (Post 2488264)

Thanks!

I can likely check this out. But my initial guess is likely no, and/or as the above poster stated very dependent on each individual situation and configuration.

I have a Digi 003 Rack+, PreSonus Studio 192, and a Focusrite OctoPre. I usually use the Studio 192 as main interface with the OctoPre ADAT out going into the Studio 192. So the 003 Rack+ is aggregated to the Studio 192. I normally run at 96k so the ADAT outs are disabled on the Digi 003 Rack+ with that sample rate. I will see what happens when I setup a configuration and session with a 48KHz sample rate.

skizzo 05-17-2018 08:47 PM

I am following up with yes it is possible to have two different interfaces with ADAT input. I have 44 inputs with my Studio 192 and 003 Rack+ when running a 48KHz session

Darryl Ramm 05-17-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skizzo (Post 2488649)
I am following up with yes it is possible to have two different interfaces with ADAT input. I have 44 inputs with my Studio 192 and 003 Rack+ when running a 48KHz session

Yes but to be clear only 32 of those inputs can be actually used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skizzo 05-21-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2488657)
Yes but to be clear only 32 of those inputs can be actually used.

Correct for "standard" PT. I believe HD/Ultimate is 64

I did not verify which inputs were disabled. For example was it just the last 12 in the list in the I/O page (which would be all my ADAT, SPDIF, and two analog Ins for the 003 Rack+) or was it more strategic such as the last 6 inputs of the Studio 192 and the last 6 inputs of the 003 Rack+ ?

I haven't played around enough with PT Aggregate to understand if I can disable/enable certain I/Os. Or for all I know its just as easy as enabling/disabling from Pro Tools I/O so you get the I/Os you actually want and need if your hardware setup exceeds the software's limit. Basically cheery picking which I/Os you want to be recognized

Darryl Ramm 05-21-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skizzo (Post 2488963)
Correct for "standard" PT. I believe HD/Ultimate is 64

No. Pro Tools Ultimate (and Pro Tools HD) has always been limited to 32 IO (32 inputs sbd 32 outputs) when using Core Audio or ASIO interfaces just like Pro Tools standard.

One likely reason is Avid wants to push folks wanting 32-64 IO to HD Native/Digilink interfaces.

Darryl Ramm 05-21-2018 01:59 PM

And I have always disabled the IO not used in an external setup app, otherwise I believe Pro Tools gives you the first 32 IO present. Try it and see.

xrekcor 08-16-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2488971)
No. Pro Tools Ultimate (and Pro Tools HD) has always been limited to 32 IO (32 inputs sbd 32 outputs) when using Core Audio or ASIO interfaces just like Pro Tools standard.

So just need someone with the smarts to write a bigger driver 😉

xrekcor 11-04-2018 12:24 PM

sorry to restart this thread with a slightly different theme, but since it relates I didn't want to start a new thread for fear of angering some of those above.....

I have been trying to create an aggregate with my TF5 and UR44, the reason is to connect a MIDI trigger to the MIDI ports on the UR44. I have an old Novation ReMOTE 25 and although it has a USB port my MBP doesn't seem to want to recognise it. However if I put through the MIDI ports on the UR44 works fine.

When I create an aggregate everything seems to look fine Audio MIDI Setup. I start up PT and firstly make sure the aggregate is selected in the play back engine. Go to I/O and can't find the UR44 anywhere...

what I have tried
* Now I did see a post some months ago about this and did spend some time trying to locate that thread before posting here so apologies if have upset someone for posting here.

* I have also tried creating various aggregates (singles) especially where the UR44 is concerned it seems to work fine. Just can't seem to run the two together. So Darryl's post above seems ominous but maybe there is something I could try.

I was thinking is there a way of making PT see the UR44 first as the first 6 I/O's and the TF5 taking up the rest. I assume the MIDI would be available if the UR44 is available in any case since it is only a trigger and doesn't need an input.