Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   M-Powered Pro Tools 7.1.1 won't open. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=235486)

KrissKaboom 01-03-2009 07:33 PM

M-Powered Pro Tools 7.1.1 won't open.

It must have been a Mac update, or something, but I can't get into Pro Tools. I tried the ProTools Pref and Database Helper. I tried deleting everything anyone told me to delete short of the whole program. Help :confused:

M.Brane 01-03-2009 10:16 PM

Re: M-Powered Pro Tools 7.1.1 won't open.

Some system details might be helpful. We have no idea what you have beyond 7.1.1, and some kind of Mac.

Software update is supposed to be disabled with PT BTW, and I don't even use it on my systems without it.

KrissKaboom 01-04-2009 11:21 AM

Your right. Here it is. MacBook Pro 15", 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, OS X 10.4.1.1, Safari, and Firefox. I use various M-audio interfaces including a jamlab. I only have one computer so it's sketchy to not update it. I have to do internet, photos, iTunes, everything all in one.

M.Brane 01-04-2009 04:43 PM

I use my old G4 for pretty much everything too, and I'm still on 10.3.9.:eek:

It actually works pretty well. I'm very careful about what gets "updated".

You might take a look at this page. It looks like 7.1.1 was never tested with 10.4.11, and therefore is not officially qualified with that OS. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, but as far as Digi is concerned you are on your own with that config if you have problems. You should try running the prebinding script linked to on that page to see if it solves your problem.

In the future to save yourself time, and frustration always backup your known-good system so you can restore it should some "update" go wrong. It's a good idea to keep redundant offline backups of critical data anyway since you never know when trouble will strike. It's usually at the worst possible time.

KrissKaboom 01-04-2009 07:45 PM

That didn't work either. I have tried that a few times. Thanks anyway. Maybe someone else? Is no one else having this Problem with M-Powered ?

Robbie Hollywood 01-20-2009 11:40 AM

You are not alone. I'm having the same problem. I've been out of town for a while and the last time I used Pro Tools was about four months ago so I'm not sure when the problem started or if I made any OSX updates since then. Pre-binding script didn't work for me either. I may try re-installing. Has anyone else come up with a successful solution to this?

Pro Tools 7.1.1
ProjectMix I/O
Mac OSX 10.4.11
2.16GHz Intel iMac
2GB memory.

Robbie Hollywood 01-20-2009 04:47 PM

Update. I've tried the pre-binding script, re-installsing Pro Tools, and re-installing OSX 10.4.11 Combo several times in various orders. Still no luck. I just get the bouncing icon, but it never opens. I have to do this hour-long dance everytime a new OSX update comes out. This is the first time I haven't been able to get it to work at all. I'm fed up. No other programs I've ever used require this ridiculous protocol just to keep them up and running (or not).

If Digidesign can't make reliable software then I'm going to spend my money on Logic rather than purchasing their crappy update to (maybe) solve my problem. Please let me know if anyone else is still having the same problem or if you've been able to solve it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:

M.Brane 01-20-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie Hollywood (Post 1339227)
Update. I've tried the pre-binding script, re-installsing Pro Tools, and re-installing OSX 10.4.11 Combo several times in various orders. Still no luck. I just get the bouncing icon, but it never opens. I have to do this hour-long dance everytime a new OSX update comes out. This is the first time I haven't been able to get it to work at all. I'm fed up. No other programs I've ever used require this ridiculous protocol just to keep them up and running (or not).

If Digidesign can't make reliable software then I'm going to spend my money on Logic rather than purchasing their crappy update to (maybe) solve my problem. Please let me know if anyone else is still having the same problem or if you've been able to solve it.

I don't think it's really fair to blame Digi for your problems. 10.4.11 didn't even exist when 7.1.1 was coded, and is not supported with 7.1.1. If anything you should blame Apple for breaking so many things in an OS update.

Robbie Hollywood 01-21-2009 10:06 AM

I would agree with you except for one crucial fact: every other third party app and everything else works on my computer when I do an OS update...except for Pro Tools. Future OS updates are a known factor when designing software. Digi should be prepared for these updates just like every other software company.

Again, if anyone else has a potential solution please let me know.

danenglander1 11-14-2009 04:17 PM

Hello,

I know it's been quite a while since you had this issue with Pro Tools. I seem to have the identical problem. Any luck or did you eventually go for Logic?

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie Hollywood (Post 1339227)