Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Preferred Compressor for Vocals (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408599)

DonaldM 02-19-2020 06:17 AM

Preferred Compressor for Vocals

I'm not asking what is the "best" compressor for vocals...that's a non-starter. I'm asking you guys which compressor you prefer for vocals and why? I've been trying different ones and can hear subtle differences, even with settings pretty close to the same. It made wonder what you pros like to use, or what is your go to compressor for vocals. Thanks.

reichman 02-19-2020 07:23 AM

Re: Preferred Compressor for Vocals

Almost every dialog and/or sung vocal chain I have has the Waves RenVox on it. Really easy to add body and control with that. But I use it lightly. Usually earlier in the chain I have the under-appreciated Avid Channelstrip compressor, and then later in the chain Avid Pro Multiband Dynamics. I am looking for another plug-in that does upward compression with more control than my old Waves MV2. If you find something, let me know.

But I'm not that interested in compressors that add color. For opinions on that, you may want to post the same question in a more music-centered forum. Maybe GS.

EGS 02-19-2020 09:39 AM

Waves Ren Comp. Low latency. Low CPU usage. I like the precise controls and the user interface. Not a "character" compressor.

Southsidemusic 02-19-2020 10:40 AM

Hardware LA2-A and 1176 and we also use LA-610mk2 Signature Edition which was only made in 500 units but the normal mk2 is also great. If we talk plugins we are not the right studio to comment as compressors are one of the things that doesn’t sound as good as hardware.

amagras 02-19-2020 02:17 PM

CLA-2A most of the time because it sounds good with my USB interface, I also like dbx-160 on auto-tune vocals and RVox for clean compression. I've been using the new Pulsar Smasher surprisingly often, I don't know if it's still free.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

DonaldM 02-19-2020 04:33 PM

I have the R-Vox, and have used it often. I agree it does sound very clean. I found the Pro Compressor from Avid seemed to color the sound in some way.

I don't have the CLA -2A I have the IK Multimedia White 2A, which is quite similar. Not sure how they compare soundwise.

I know there's no one answer, but I did wonder what you guys use. Its good to know what you find most useful.

DonaldM 02-19-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2554768)
Hardware LA2-A and 1176 and we also use LA-610mk2 Signature Edition which was only made in 500 units but the normal mk2 is also great. If we talk plugins we are not the right studio to comment as compressors are one of the things that doesn’t sound as good as hardware.

Yeah, I was speaking of plugins rather than hardware externals.

DonaldM 02-19-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2554746)
I am looking for another plug-in that does upward compression with more control than my old Waves MV2. If you find something, let me know.

Don't think I can be of much help there. The only upward compressor I'm aware of is Maximus (I think that's what its called) that comes with FL Studios. I don't use FL but I've seen the Maximus mentioned as a good tool for upward compression.

amagras 02-19-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2554799)
Don't think I can be of much help there. The only upward compressor I'm aware of is Maximus (I think that's what its called) that comes with FL Studios. I don't use FL but I've seen the Maximus mentioned as a good tool for upward compression.

Blue Cat Dynamics and Waves C1.

AlexLakis 02-19-2020 05:41 PM

Hardware? 1176 into LA2A. Software? Slate Distressor, slammed for aggressive vocals, opto for laid-back (this is mostly hard rock here).