Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Folder Feature Requests (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409269)

ejinbc 04-02-2020 03:33 PM

Folder Feature Requests

this thead has been made sticky. follow instructions here, please

Has anyone found a way to expand a given Folder's view in the Mix Window but not in the Edit Window ? I was really hoping the views would be independent. I read through the manual and did not see it referenced. Any shortcuts ?

This would be useful, for example, to collapse all Aux channels in the Edit Window and but keep the Aux faders visible in the Mix Window.

Stay Safe

ejinbc

ZEUSS 04-02-2020 03:42 PM

Re: Independent View of Folders in Mix and Edit Windows

I JUST posted about this.... Doesn't seem possible...

ejinbc 04-05-2020 01:22 PM

Nope, there is apparently no way to do this (yet). After playing with folders a bit more, I also really wish they had implemented automatic routing when you drag a track into a routing folder (expected this) - would be a great workflow for quick grouping functionality.

As there really is only one new feature in 2020.3 (plus bug fixes), I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.

(1) Independent Folder expansion views in Edit and Mix Windows
(2) Automatic routing (ctrl+drag) when moving tracks
(3) ??

Stay Safe

SDDP 04-05-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEUSS (Post 2559760)
I JUST posted about this.... Doesn't seem possible...

OUCH!
that's annoying, so in Mix you have either regular or narrow. Maybe add this so idea scale?

Wish we could have a mix of narrow and regular in the MIX window at least

ZEUSS 04-05-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDP (Post 2560246)
OUCH!
that's annoying, so in Mix you have either regular or narrow. Maybe add this so idea scale?

Wish we could have a mix of narrow and regular in the MIX window at least

No. It means that if you have the folders all open and spilled out in the edit window, they will all be open and spilled out in the Mix window. You can't have them closed in the edit window taking up less real estate and then have them Open in the mix window at the same time when you need to do a quick mix adjustment. They are either always open or always closed.....

lesbrunn 04-05-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejinbc (Post 2560235)
Nope, there is apparently no way to do this (yet). After playing with folders a bit more, I also really wish they had implemented automatic routing when you drag a track into a routing folder (expected this) - would be a great workflow for quick grouping functionality.

As there really is only one new feature in 2020.3 (plus bug fixes), I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.

(3) ??

Stay Safe

There is automatic routing from the new track dialouge box. Just tick the option.

ejinbc 04-05-2020 09:57 PM

LesB

"...when moving tracks."

Yes, when creating a folder selected tracks can be auto assigned, but moving existing tracks into a folder does not automatically set the routing. There should be an option key for this perhaps. How about ctrl drag and the track takes the folder as output path, ctrl+shift drag and the track takes the folder as output path, and then the folder uses the tracks's old output as the folders new output - or something like that.

E

Oggy 04-05-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejinbc (Post 2559758)
Has anyone found a way to expand a given Folder's view in the Mix Window but not in the Edit Window ? I was really hoping the views would be independent. I read through the manual and did not see it referenced. Any shortcuts ?

This would be useful, for example, to collapse all Aux channels in the Edit Window and but keep the Aux faders visible in the Mix Window.

Stay Safe

ejinbc

I’m trying the same thing with memory locations (with show/hide tracks) + window configurations. Works only when you have one display monitor and you have to switch between views.

I’m just learning how powerful memory locations are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noiseboyuk 04-06-2020 02:15 AM

Quote:

(3) ??

Stay Safe

Personally I don't want (1), I prefer them linked. No harm in a preference though, if that could be done.

(2) seems essential to me, alongside new tracks created within a folder (these apply to routing folders only of course). At the moment Folder Tracks are great, Routing Folders are a bust imo.

JFreak 04-06-2020 04:01 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.

Okay, I'll bite. Avid may also be interested in how users feel about this and what could be improved. So from now on let the message format be like:

1) Folders currently work like this: explain.
2) I would like them to work like this: explain more.