Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pan and plugin windows follow selection (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=358900)

GuidoHelbling 09-22-2014 11:59 PM

Pan and plugin windows follow selection

Something else to vote up:

-Pan and plugin-window should follow selected track. I think it would save hundreds of meters mousing around each day. ...and a lot of mistakes screwing around at the wrong window...

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ack/79360-3779

Guido

fork-media 09-23-2014 06:22 AM

Re: Pan and plugin windows follow selection

yes!

but I wonders if thats why the MC series offers serious advantage here?

example - select channel ( on screen or on MC series )

hit the EQ button - on the MC series - and the E not only spreads over the surface - but also brings up the Plug in on computer monitor

doing pretty much as u require..

I for one am now considering buying the MC control - for some of the new softkey ability...

Brandonx1 09-23-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fork-media (Post 2187863)
yes!

but I wonders if thats why the MC series offers serious advantage here?

example - select channel ( on screen or on MC series )

hit the EQ button - on the MC series - and the E not only spreads over the surface - but also brings up the Plug in on computer monitor

doing pretty much as u require..

I for one am now considering buying the MC control - for some of the new softkey ability...

Do you mean the artist series? Yes plug ins follow track selection. Crazy fast.

Frank Kruse 09-23-2014 09:30 AM

As far as Eucon goes: Plugins follow, Pan window does not.

As a work-around get Spanner. Much better panner in terms of ergonomics generally and will follow if you have a Eucon controller attached because it's a plugin.

Frank.

GuidoHelbling 09-23-2014 10:39 AM

I really think it should be a feature: If I click a clip, open plugin-windows and pans should folow - as long the clip also has the same plugins on the track. It would be that simple! Imagine, never screwing around in the wrong window!
Logic for example did this since years and other DAW probably too. It would speed up an editing-workflow and also the concentration to the actual work would be massive better if you don't have to select all that by hand all the time. I think it is just unnessesairy.

It should work like this:
You select a clip, all open plugin-windows follow: Your MS-Tool, your EQ and your pan or whatever you loaded in the tracks, everything which is open shows the parameters from that selected track.

A checkbox in the prefs could activate or deactivate this option so everybody could work as he wants.

Spanner is great, but currenty I'm working on a project my client hasn't Spanner. So I have to use the pans. :-(

Guido

fork-media 09-23-2014 07:30 PM

yeh - I know what u mean! DP7 ( my other DAW ) has a 'channel strip ' that follows selected channel - u can edit the EQ - pan - aux sends ( surround or stereo ) or plugins - 'pop' out from there..

I missed that feature like crazy until I figured my MC Mix out.. ( so easy to get at EQ - plugins -= reverb sends -= it really did become center of universe for me!! )

Now I love the 'flip' fader - its awesome for panning - surround panning

so using the flip button on the MC Mix - the surround 'panner' or should we say surround panning ability does follow selected track - and to be honest I prefer it over the onscreen panner..

front to back moves are easy - as are left to right.. ( each has a fader )

so u can even move left to right ( or front to back ) and add LFE at the same time! BONUS!

if u are doing stereo - then 'flip' the faders to stereo pan ---> I have managed to pan 4 adjacent channels *at the same time* ( ok they were all going the same way! ( footsteps 1 - 2 3- and 4 ) walk left to right hahaha

I also love how u know *exactly* where you are in the stereo field - unlike those POS rotary encoder - gives a great confident feel to the panning

regarding your request - Its interesting how they have enabled a lot of shortcut keys thru EUCON you simply cant access any other way

If I was running a business I guess thats what I would do? ( I might not be popular - but I think the Avid 'glasnost' is over- they are reeling in the native abilities a little?

but for now I know I am thinking about buying an MC - altho I suspect I will wait and get it on my next film edit / mixproject - for recording foley - I dont need it..

the problem with maggots spanner - is that if u are collaborating - then everyone has to use spanner?

Brandonx1 09-23-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 2187916)
As far as Eucon goes: Plugins follow, Pan window does not.

As a work-around get Spanner. Much better panner in terms of ergonomics generally and will follow if you have a Eucon controller attached because it's a plugin.

Frank.

Panner on the artist control does, but it's not a very functional panner

Frank Kruse 09-24-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonx1 (Post 2188085)
Panner on the artist control does, but it's not a very functional panner

Even with Eucon/Aritists it won't follow.

Even pushing the Pan knob on the Artist control won't open the pan window unlike with EQ and dynamics.

Unless you found some magic trick. Please share.

Frank.

GuidoHelbling 09-24-2014 02:07 AM

Yes, please share.

But I'd already be happy if open windows follow the selection as long as they are not unlinked with the red 'Target Enable / Desable' button.

Guido

fork-media 09-24-2014 02:59 AM

thats right - it doesnt follow on screen... but the surface does follow.

I find the pan then flip - ( sends the L/R front Rear LFE etc

after that simply 'shift' flip between volume fader and the panner postiioning

i dint think I woul like it ( but actually its - quite usable! solves the I cant grab the sucker when its moving problem

but yeh - the panner window really should follow selected channel!

ps - thanks for letting me know where to post wish lists! I got a few of my own to add - once I log in I will vote yours up

mine gonna be clip layering .... so when I drag in that 5 sec too long bit it doesnt get wiped out,

cutom keys - ( if I send one more clip to the beginon of the sequence with that Y key,,,,,,, )